Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to the United Kingdom
Find the best way to transfer money from Ireland to the United Kingdom.
Looking for the best way to send money from Ireland to family, friends or businesses in the United Kingdom (or even to your own bank account)? Don't head straight to your Irish bank - turn to online money transfer services instead. They nearly always offer better exchange rates and lower fees - which means for the same amount of euros you send, the recipient will receive more pounds.
Compare ways of sending money to the United Kingdom
Use our table below to compare services that send money from Éire to the United Kingdom. Compare the money transfer providers' fees and speeds, then click "Go to site" when you've found the best one to send your Euros to the United Kingdom.
How to send money to the United Kingdom from Ireland
Here's our simple process for sending a money transfer to the United Kingdom as a cash pickup or bank transfer - the two options are similar:
- Compare your options.
- Register for an account. You'll need to give your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and method of payment.
- Provide recipient details. Enter your recipient's name and contact information. If you're sending straight to their British bank account, you'll need the account number, SWIFT or IBAN plus their bank branch's address.
- Enter the transfer amount. Check you're happy with the fees, exchange rates and transfer speed, then enter the amount you wish to send. Many services give the amount of Pound your recipient should receive, so double check this.
- Complete your transfer. Send your money transfer to the United Kingdom. Keep any reference number safe so you can track your transfer - your recipient may need it too.
If you send to a British bank account, your recipient will need to wait for the funds to arrive. For a cash pick up, your British recipient will need to show some form of photo ID in order to pick up the funds. It's also important that you give them the transaction reference number to streamline the process.
Ways to send and receive money
How to decide which option is best for you to send money to the United Kingdom.
- Bank deposit. Most major banks in Éire let you wire money to banks in the United Kingdom. However, you might get weaker exchange rates and pay higher fees all for the privilege of a slower transfer.
- Online money transfer services. Online companies like make international money transfers to the United Kingdom easy with bank transfers or cell phone top ups often offered as easy delivery options.
- Transfer agents across Éire. Many transfer providers have locations dotted all across Éire, making it easy for you to send money that can be easily picked up in similar agent locations in the United Kingdom.
- Cheques and money orders. If speed is not an issue, you can always pick up an international cheque from your bank or An Post to send to the United Kingdom.
- Cash pick-up. you to collect cash, even if you don't have a bank account in the United Kingdom.
- Bank deposit. If you have a British bank account, you can have money transferred directly into this without having to make any trips to a money transfer agent location.
- PayPal. The Xoom app allows you to receive money from Ireland onto your cell phone, into your British bank account, or as a cash pick-up.
- Cheques and money orders. Both personal cheques and money orders can be sent directly to you where you live but these tend to be the slower options.
What documents do I need to transfer money to the United Kingdom?
To send money from Ireland to the United Kingdom, you'll need the following:
1. Photo identification
Most providers require a driver's license, passport or other Irish government-issued ID. You can send transfers without the above but may need to give alternate ID instead.
2. Payment method
Your options depend on the provider's services. Popular methods include cash, debit or credit card payments, bank account transfers and personal cheques.
3. Recipient information
You'll need their name (matching their ID) plus contact details. If sending to a British bank account, you'll need the a/c number, SWIFT|IBAN and branch details.
What documents do I need to receive money in the United Kingdom?
To collect money in person in the United Kingdom, the recipient will need:
1. Transfer number
The reference number - sometimes called a PIN, MTCN or tracking number.
2. Government-issued ID
A official ID, such as a British passport or driving license.
3. The transfer amount
To know how much has been sent, usually to within 10% of the total.
4. Sender information
The sender's name and address and the country from where the money was sent.
How much does it cost to send money to the United Kingdom from Éire?
The cost of sending money to the United Kingdom from Ireland depends on the exchange rate between EUR to GBP, the fees, how you want your recipient to receive your transfer and the turnaround time:
- Exchange rates. The mid-market rate is the rate banks and transfer services use to trade between one another. It is the best rate that you can get. But not all money transfer providers offer you this mid-market rat so compare the exchange rate you're offered to the mid-market rate and look for the smallest difference.
- Transfer fees. Are you being charged a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer amount? For example, a provider offering to transfer your money to the United Kingdom for a flat or low fee might work out better if you plan to send a large amount.
- Transfer speed. If you need your transfer to arrive quickly, you can pay for a quick delivery. Companies such as offer instant cash pickups but may charge more. If you're not in a rush, online money transfer services can offer the best value, usually getting your money to the United Kingdom faster and cheaper than banks.
- Transfer limits. Find out how much you can send with each service. For example, one provider may have a send limit of €10,000 while another may allow you to transfer up to €1 million. For smaller transfers, check the fees. For large transfers, look harder at the exchange rate. Some providers encourage large transfers with low fees.
- Transfer type. Does your recipient have a British bank account or is cash or cell phone top up the better option? Each transfer type will have different fees. For example, instant cash pickups tend to be more expensive than bank transfers.
- Discounts. Some providers may offer you a free transfer simply for signing up while others may offer you a discount if you transfer more than a certain amount.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Send money to Uzbekistan
Need to transfer EUR to UZS? Learn how to pick the right service to send your money to Uzbekistan.
Send money to Haiti
Looking for the best way to send money from Ireland to Haiti? Services, rates and fees compared.
Send money to the Democratic Republic of the Congo
Want to send EUR to the Democratic Republic of the Congo? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Send money to Congo-Brazzaville
EUR-XOF is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from Ireland to Congo-Brazzaville.
Send money to Mauritania
Looking for the best way to send money from Ireland to Mauritania? Services, rates and fees compared.
Send money to Mali
Looking for the best way to send money from Ireland to Mali? Services, rates and fees compared.
Send money to Guinea-Bissau
Sending money to Guinea-Bissau from Ireland? Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Send money to Guinea (Conakry)
Sending money to Guinea (Conakry) from Ireland? Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Send money to Benin
Send money to Benin
Ask an Expert