Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Find the best way to send money to Russia
Learn how to send money to Russia from Ireland in our step-by-step guide.
Looking for the best way to send money from Ireland to family, friends or businesses in Russia (or even to your own overseas bank account)?
Unfortunately, Finder doesn't have any providers that can help you send money to Russia from Ireland. Transferring money to countries like Russia is challenging but potentially services such as Western Union and WorldRemit are worth exploring.
Best ways to send money to Russia from IrelandThe best way to send money to Russia depends on your payment method, how you want your money to be received and how fast you need it to arrive.
- Online money transfer provider. When buying euros or Russian rubles money transfer specialists typically offer better rates and cheaper fees than a local bank.
Cheapest way to send money to RussiaWhen you're hunting down the cheapest ways to send money to Russia, it's more important to look at the overall cost of your transfer. This has a couple of elements:
- Transfer fees. While still cheaper than your Irish bank, some money transfer services charge either a fixed or percentage-based fee for making your transfer.
- Exchange rates. Another way money transfer providers make money is to add a margin to the mid-market EUR/RUB exchange rate .
Some providers may charge the mid-market rate but add fees on top. Others may have very low fees but apply a markup on the exchange rate. This means it is important to compare exactly how many Russian rubles your recipient will end up with.
Safest way to send money to Russia
The safest way to get your money to Russia is to use a provider registered with Ireland's industry regulator, Central Bank of Ireland. All of the companies we've compared in our table are overseen by a local regulator and comply with the relevant laws and regulations in both Ireland and Russia.
A great way to dive deeper is by reading our extended reviews of each transfer service and researching first-hand customer feedback on Trustpilot and similar platforms.
Large money transfers to Russia
If you need to make a sizable money transfer to Russia, consider using a provider such as to benefit from its expertise in handling larger transfer amounts.Using a large transfer specialist can have the following advantages:
- Tax guidance. Large transfers to Russia may have tax implications for you or your recipient. A transfer specialist can help get you up to speed on Revenue Commissioners's latest advice.
- Foreign exchange (forex) tools. Advanced tools such as forward contracts, limit orders and stop-loss orders can help you lock in the RUB exchange rate you want.
- Account manager. Some money transfer providers assign a personal account manager who can help and advise you on your transfer needs.
- Phone service. If you want to talk your transfer through with someone, a provider such as can give you support over the phone.
How to send money to Russia from Ireland
To send money to Russia, you'll need the necessary documentation, your recipient's details and a way to pay.
- Compare your options.
Use our table to find a money transfer provider that sends funds to Russia. One may be better for cash pickups while another may suit a bank transfer. Once you've found the best one for your requirements, click "Go to site".
- Create an account.
You'll need to give your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and method of payment.
- Provide your recipient's details.
Enter your recipient's name and contact information. If you're sending straight to their Russian bank account, you'll need the account number, SWIFT or IBAN plus their bank branch's address.
- Enter your transfer amount.
Check you're happy with the fees, exchange rates and transfer speed, then enter the amount you wish to send. Double-check the total Russian rubles your recipient gets.
- Complete your transfer.
Send your money transfer to Russia. Keep your transaction reference number safe so you can track your transfer. Your recipient may need it too.
Example: Anastasia sends money to Russia
Anastasia is working in Ireland as a film producer and she stays in regular contact with her elderly parents back home in Russia. Her parents need some funds to help pay off a mortgage, so Anastasia plans to send them €2,000 from Ireland.
She decides to compare a bank and a money transfer specialist to see which one can save the most money on her transaction.
|Bank||Money transfer company|
|Exchange rate||1 EUR = 81.57 RUB||1 EUR = 82.65 RUB|
|Transfer method||Bank account deposit||Bank account deposit|
|Processing time||2 - 5 working days||Next day|
|Amount received||162,332.95 RUB||165,101.87 RUB|
The money transfer company enables Anastasia to send an extra ₽2,768.92, which is transferred straight to her parents' Sberbank account.
How to choose the best money transfer companies to send money to Russia
Although we currently have any active deals to help you transfer money to Russia from Ireland, below we cover the most features to consider when researching providers.
- Exchange rates. Banks and transfer services use the mid-market rate to trade with one another. It is the best rate you can get. However, not all money transfer providers offer you this mid-market rate so compare the RUB you're offered to the mid-market rate and look for the smallest difference.
- Transfer fees. Are you being charged a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer amount? For example, a provider offering to transfer your money to Russia for a flat or low fee might work out better if you plan to send a large amount.
- Transfer type. Does your recipient have a Russian bank account or is cash or cell phone top-up a better option? Each transfer type will have different fees. For example, instant cash pickups tend to be more expensive than bank transfers.
- Transfer speed. If you need your transfer to arrive quickly, you can pay for an express delivery. Some companies offer instant cash pickups but may charge more. If you're not in a rush, online money transfer services offer the best value and get your money to Russia faster and cheaper than banks.
- Transfer limits. Find out how much you can send with each service.
- Discounts. Some providers may offer you a free transfer simply for signing up. Others may offer a discount if you transfer more than a specific amount of Russian rubles.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Find the best way to send money to the UK
Want to send EUR to the United Kingdom? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Can I send money to Cuba?
Learn what you should know if you want to send money to a loved one in Cuba.
Find the best way to send money to Egypt
Looking for the best way to send money from Ireland to Egypt? Services, rates and fees compared.
Find the best way to send money to Gambia
Sending money to Gambia from Ireland? Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Find the best way to send money to Botswana
Want to send EUR to Botswana? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to Trinidad and Tobago
Want to send EUR to Trinidad and Tobago? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to Denmark
Sending money to Denmark from Ireland? Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Find the best way to send money to Costa Rica
Transferring EUR-CRC is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from Ireland to Costa Rica.
Find the best way to send money to Portugal
Want to send EUR to Portugal? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.