Revolut Metal card review
Is the Revolut Metal card worth the extra cost? Here's what you need to know.
The Revolut Metal card is the top-tier account offered by popular digital bank Revolut. This account gets you more perks and higher limits than either of the lower tier account options, but is it worth it?
In this review, we will take you through what you need to know before deciding if Revolut Metal is right for you.
How does Revolut work?
Revolut is a digital banking app available in Europe, including Ireland. Choose from one of four tiers and manage your money from the comfort of your own home. With each Revolut account, you’ll get a Euro IBAN account, a UK current account and a bank card. You’ll also be able to spend in more than 150 currencies at the interbank exchange rate and carry out exchanges in 30 currencies fee-free.
When you sign up with Revolut, you have four account options to choose from: Standard, Plus, Premium and Metal.
Key features of Revolut Metal
Revolut Metal is the fintech company’s most premium subscription plan. It comes with several exclusive features, including:
- Cashback. Receive 0.1% cashback on spending within Europe and 1% outside of Europe, capped at €13.99 per month. This includes cryptocurrency spending.
- Complimentary insurances. This includes overseas medical insurance, delayed baggage and flight insurance, purchase protection and winter sports coverage
- Airport lounge passes. LoungeKey Pass access so you can buy lounge passes in the Revolut app. If your flights are delayed, you receive free lounge passes for you and three friends.
- Virtual cards. Spend online securely with disposable virtual cards.
- Free ATM withdrawals. Up to €800 per month in fee-free ATM withdrawals (four times more than the Standard account).
- Metal card. An exclusive stainless steel card, with up to one replacement card per year for free.
- Cryptocurrency. You’ll have instant access to Revolut’s cryptocurrency feature, which gives you access to five cryptocurrencies.
- Free foreign currency exchange. No monthly limit on exchanges in up to 30 fiat currencies. You also receive unlimited cross border transfers for free.
- Revolut Junior. You’ll receive Revolut Junior accounts for up to five children.
Revolut Metal fees
- Monthly fee. You’ll pay a monthly fee of €13.99.
- Withdrawals. Free ATM withdrawals of up to €800 per month. After that you will be charged a 2% fee.
- Overdraft. You cannot enter an overdraft. If a purchase exceeds your available funds, the transaction will be declined.
- Foreign currency fees. You receive unlimited free foreign currency transfers.
- Cashback. The Metal account gives you 0.1% cashback.
Pros and cons
- Unlimited foreign exchange. There’s no limit on the amount that can be spent, exchanged or transferred at the interbank exchange rate.
- Free ATM withdrawals. Withdraw up to €800 fee-free each month (2% fee of withdrawal amount thereafter).
- Cashback. Receive 0.1% cashback on purchases and crypto spending in Europe and 1% outside of Europe (capped at €13.99 per month).
- Virtual cards. Add an extra layer of security when you spend online by automatically generating a disposable virtual card.
- Complimentary insurances. Enjoy overseas medical insurance, delayed baggage and flight insurance, purchase protection and winter sports coverage.
- Revolut Junior. Open junior accounts for up to 5 children.
- No interest on savings. Although Revolut says the feature of interest on savings is in the pipeline, it’s not available in Ireland yet.
- No phone support. Revolut does not offer phone support. A number of Revolut users have also highlighted that its in-app chat support can be slow.
If you are a big spender that like to take money out abroad, travels regularly or needs to spend large amounts in foreign currency, this card might be worth considering. The exclusive metal card is also great for people that don’t mind spending a little more for it.
However, if you’re just looking for a card with travel perks and the limits aren’t too restrive, Revolut Premium may be worth looking at. For those that don’t need the insurances or extra spending limits and just want a good card with budgeting tools and that is a great travel companion, Revolut Standard may be more up your alley.
Experiences from other Revolut users
Revolut scores 4.4 out of 5 based on 93,560+ reviews and is rated Excellent on Trustpilot.
|User ratings||# of reviews||What do customers say|
|4.4 / 5||93,560+|
*Note: Information provided is based on the reviews and rating on Trustpilot (18 October 2021).
How to apply
You can sign up for a Revolut Metal account easily online. If you’re a new customer, download the Revolut app and create an account. You’ll need to verify your ID with documentation and by taking a selfie. After you’re verified, you can start using your Revolut Metal account. Your card should be delivered in Express.
If you’re already on Revolut Premium, then you can upgrade to Metal instantly. Under the “More” section of the app, go to “Upgrade” and press “Go Metal!”. Revolut will refund you for the month or months you didn’t use your Premium account.
If you have a Revolut Standard account, go to the “Upgrade” section to make the request.