Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Finder review methodology
Here's how we break down the scores for our hands-on product reviews.
Here at Finder, our team of experienced reviewers spends hours rigorously testing products to determine an overall score as well as individual scores for design and performance. Our reviewers rate each category out of five, with zero being the lowest possible score.
This is how our reviewers determine each score:
To determine the design score, we consider the following:
- Aesthetics. How does the product look?
- Size and weight. How heavy and bulky is it? Is it portable?
- Materials. What is it made of? Does it feel cheap or high quality?
- Functionality. Is the design functional? Does it make the product easier or harder to use? What physical controls does it have?
- Durability. Does it have a waterproof rating? Is it dustproof? Is it kid-friendly?
- Set-up. What’s included in the box? How easy is it to set up?
- Display. Is there a screen? How big is it? How vibrant are the colours? Can you see it clearly in all lighting conditions?
To determine the performance score, we consider the following:
- Usability. Is it easy to use? Does the product live up to expectations? Is there anything about the product that doesn’t work as expected?
- Features. Are all features accessible? Do they work as described? Is the product missing anything you’d expect to see?
- Smart features. Does the product have smart capability?
- App. Is there an app? If so, how easy is it to navigate and use? Is there anything missing from the app that you’d expect to see?
With certain products, such as mobile phones and tablets, the performance score can be further broken down into scores for battery life and camera(s).
To determine the overall score, we consider the scores for design and performance, the price and how it compares to other available products. For example, a coffee machine could have high scores for design and performance, but an exorbitant price tag might bring down the overall score.
When coming up with the overall score, we consider the following:
- Our overall impression of the product
- Value for money
- Camera and battery life (if relevant)
- How it compares to the rest of the market
Our team of journalists has more than 40 combined years of experience reviewing products. While our scores reflect the value we give each product, there is a level of subjectivity to each review. If your experience with a product differs from ours, we’d love to hear from you.
We review products as we get them. For some products, software updates and improvements can occur after the time of the review, changing the performance of the product. When possible, we aim to reflect these updates in our reviews.
Finder values its editorial independence, basing all review scores on objective analysis independent of commercial relationships. However, Finder may receive compensation when you click some of the links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners and why you can trust our guides.
More guides on Finder
The best TV shows to stream on Amazon Prime Video Ireland November 2020
Rejoice binge-watchers! Prime Video is pumping out some top-shelf original television shows so we’ve listed the best of the best here.
How to buy stock in Snowflake (SNOW) in Ireland
Learn how to invest in Snowflake in Ireland.
The Book Depository discount codes and coupons November 2020 | Up to 71% off fiction books
Check out these discount codes and see how much you could save on your next page-turner at The Book Depository.
What is dropshipping?
Read our complete guide to dropshipping to discover how it works, how to find a reliable supplier and the pros and cons of this popular fulfilment method.
Selling on Shopify vs Etsy
This guide for online sellers compares Shopify and Etsy side by side to find out which platform is easiest to use and offers the best value for money.
Review: Payoneer for online sellers
Read our guide to Payoneer and how it can help marketplace sellers save money when receiving international payments.
OFX Global Currency Account for online sellers review
Our in-depth review of the OFX Global Currency Account for online sellers, including supported currencies, fees, exchange rates and registration.
Review: Moneycorp online seller account
Your detailed review of the Moneycorp multi-currency account for online sellers, which is compatible with 14 marketplaces and can hold EUR, GBP and USD.
How to sell on Zazzle
If you want to start selling on Zazzle, check out our guide to setting up a store, creating products, promotions and marketing, and getting paid.
How to sell on Instagram
Learn how to set up your shop and start selling on your Instagram posts and stories.
Ask an Expert