Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Finder review methodology
Here's how we break down the scores for our hands-on product reviews.
Here at Finder, our team of experienced reviewers spends hours rigorously testing products to determine an overall score as well as individual scores for design and performance. Our reviewers rate each category out of five, with zero being the lowest possible score.
This is how our reviewers determine each score:
To determine the design score, we consider the following:
- Aesthetics. How does the product look?
- Size and weight. How heavy and bulky is it? Is it portable?
- Materials. What is it made of? Does it feel cheap or high quality?
- Functionality. Is the design functional? Does it make the product easier or harder to use? What physical controls does it have?
- Durability. Does it have a waterproof rating? Is it dustproof? Is it kid-friendly?
- Set-up. What’s included in the box? How easy is it to set up?
- Display. Is there a screen? How big is it? How vibrant are the colours? Can you see it clearly in all lighting conditions?
To determine the performance score, we consider the following:
- Usability. Is it easy to use? Does the product live up to expectations? Is there anything about the product that doesn’t work as expected?
- Features. Are all features accessible? Do they work as described? Is the product missing anything you’d expect to see?
- Smart features. Does the product have smart capability?
- App. Is there an app? If so, how easy is it to navigate and use? Is there anything missing from the app that you’d expect to see?
With certain products, such as mobile phones and tablets, the performance score can be further broken down into scores for battery life and camera(s).
To determine the overall score, we consider the scores for design and performance, the price and how it compares to other available products. For example, a coffee machine could have high scores for design and performance, but an exorbitant price tag might bring down the overall score.
When coming up with the overall score, we consider the following:
- Our overall impression of the product
- Value for money
- Camera and battery life (if relevant)
- How it compares to the rest of the market
Our team of journalists has more than 40 combined years of experience reviewing products. While our scores reflect the value we give each product, there is a level of subjectivity to each review. If your experience with a product differs from ours, we’d love to hear from you.
We review products as we get them. For some products, software updates and improvements can occur after the time of the review, changing the performance of the product. When possible, we aim to reflect these updates in our reviews.
Finder values its editorial independence, basing all review scores on objective analysis independent of commercial relationships. However, Finder may receive compensation when you click some of the links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners and why you can trust our guides.
More guides on Finder
Finder’s Bitcoin Predictions Report: December 2020
We asked 47 experts for their cryptocurrency price predictions and took a deep dive into the Bitcoin price rally.
How to invest in the Didi Chuxing IPO from Ireland
Everything we know about the Didi Chuxing IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Where to buy PlayStation 5 controllers and accessories online 2021
Cut costs on the latest must-have PS5 accessories with one of our discount codes at any of these online stores.
How to buy Robinhood stock from Ireland
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from Ireland.
How to buy, sell and trade Aeternity (AE)
Read our comprehensive guide to the Aeternity smart contract platform and how to buy Aeon (AE), Aeternity’s native currency.
How to buy, sell and trade Dai (DAI)
Step-by-step instructions on how to buy, sell and trade Dai (DAI), the cryptocurrency stablecoin issued by MakerDAO.
What is a stablecoin?
A comprehensive overview of cryptocurrency stablecoins, including how they work, what they’re used for and why they’re important.
Compare and learn about cryptocurrency trading bots
Your detailed guide to cryptocurrency trading bots, how they work and the benefits and risks you need to consider when choosing a crypto trading bot.
Compare cryptocurrency loans and lending services
Bitcoin loans offer a new and decentralised way to access personal financing. Find out how these loans work in our guide to cryptocurrency lending and borrowing.
How to buy Roblox (RBLX) stock from Ireland
Roblox is set to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from Ireland.
Ask an Expert