Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Finder review methodology
Here's how we break down the scores for our hands-on product reviews.
Here at Finder, our team of experienced reviewers spends hours rigorously testing products to determine an overall score as well as individual scores for design and performance. Our reviewers rate each category out of five, with zero being the lowest possible score.
This is how our reviewers determine each score:
To determine the design score, we consider the following:
- Aesthetics. How does the product look?
- Size and weight. How heavy and bulky is it? Is it portable?
- Materials. What is it made of? Does it feel cheap or high quality?
- Functionality. Is the design functional? Does it make the product easier or harder to use? What physical controls does it have?
- Durability. Does it have a waterproof rating? Is it dustproof? Is it kid-friendly?
- Set-up. What’s included in the box? How easy is it to set up?
- Display. Is there a screen? How big is it? How vibrant are the colours? Can you see it clearly in all lighting conditions?
To determine the performance score, we consider the following:
- Usability. Is it easy to use? Does the product live up to expectations? Is there anything about the product that doesn’t work as expected?
- Features. Are all features accessible? Do they work as described? Is the product missing anything you’d expect to see?
- Smart features. Does the product have smart capability?
- App. Is there an app? If so, how easy is it to navigate and use? Is there anything missing from the app that you’d expect to see?
With certain products, such as mobile phones and tablets, the performance score can be further broken down into scores for battery life and camera(s).
To determine the overall score, we consider the scores for design and performance, the price and how it compares to other available products. For example, a coffee machine could have high scores for design and performance, but an exorbitant price tag might bring down the overall score.
When coming up with the overall score, we consider the following:
- Our overall impression of the product
- Value for money
- Camera and battery life (if relevant)
- How it compares to the rest of the market
Our team of journalists has more than 40 combined years of experience reviewing products. While our scores reflect the value we give each product, there is a level of subjectivity to each review. If your experience with a product differs from ours, we’d love to hear from you.
We review products as we get them. For some products, software updates and improvements can occur after the time of the review, changing the performance of the product. When possible, we aim to reflect these updates in our reviews.
Finder values its editorial independence, basing all review scores on objective analysis independent of commercial relationships. However, Finder may receive compensation when you click some of the links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners and why you can trust our guides.
More guides on Finder
Wallis discount codes October 2021
Cut costs on dresses, Co-ords, denim, footwear and more at Wallis with the latest list of sales we’ve rounded up.
Revolution Beauty discount codes October 2021
Looking to refresh your skincare and makeup routine? Revolution Beauty has fab products, service, price and innovation. Enjoy.
LetsGetChecked promo codes October 2021
Cut costs on at-home health testing solutions for men and women at LetsGetChecked with one of the awesome promo codes we’ve rounded up.
Review: Kriptomat cryptocurrency exchange
Discover the features available on the EU-focused Kriptomat cryptocurrency exchange, how to get started and what cryptocurrency investor the exchange is best suited for.
A guide to Beam and where to buy it
Beam was the first Mimblewimble coin to go live. Find out how it works and where to buy it.
Dogecoin (DOGE) price prediction 2021
Where is the price of Dogecoin headed in 2021 and beyond, and what are the factors affecting the value of this iconic cryptocurrency?
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
Ethereum (ETH) price prediction 2021
What affects the value of Ethereum (ETH) and how might the price of ETH fluctuate in the year ahead? Find out in this comprehensive guide.
Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.
Revolut alternatives including banks, apps and competitors
There are a number of cards and banking apps similar to Revolut that you can use in Ireland, so we’ve put together a list and compared their features for you.
Ask an Expert