N26 Business Accounts review
What you need to know about the popular digital banking app in Ireland.
N26 has now passed 100,000 users in Ireland – and the Germany-based challenger bank says that plans are afoot to “significantly” scale up investment in the country in the coming year. But is a business account with N26 the best option for your company?
This review looks at the key features, and costs, of N26’s business accounts to make the process of comparing that little bit easier for you.
Currency conversion fee
How does N26 Business work in Ireland?
The business accounts from digital bank N26 are designed for freelancers and comes with a number of the features of the N26 personal accounts, plus a few extras. The accounts live on a smartphone, have great security features and four account options, including a free account.
N26 is fully licenced and so your business funds will be protected up to €100,000.
The business account comes with a number of features, including:
- Business Mastercard. Spend globally and get cash when you need it with an N26 Business Mastercard. You’ll have your choice of five colours.
- Cashback. When you spend with your business Mastercard you’ll receive 0.1% cashback.
- Expense tracking, tax returns and invoices. Keep your business organised with on-the-go business expense tracking and automatic categorisation of your transactions. You can also download statements and manage your account on the N26 web app.
- Automated savings. Make sure you have enough set aside for large expenses and tax payments by creating rules for automatic savings transfers.
- Sub-accounts. You will have access to up to 10 sub-accounts that you can use to organise your expenses and payments.
- Instant payments. You can send request and receive money instantly with other N26 users through MoneyBeam. You can also receive payments instantly through SEPA Instant Credit.
- Keep your account secure. The N26 Business Account comes with two-factor authentication, instant spending notifications and biometric identification for the app. Plus, your deposits up to €100,000 are protected.
- Perks. Choose from a range of benefits to help build your business including discounts on Lime and Blinkist plus access to Google Ads and Fiverr.
- Multi-lingual and multi-channel support. Get support from N26 when you need it through the in-app chat or the dedicated helpline. Support is offered in English, French, German, Spanish and Italian.
- Mobile payments. All N26 Business accounts are mobile payment-enabled, so you can spend on your smartphone with Apple Pay or Google Pay.
What N26 business accounts are available?
There are four business accounts to choose from with this online-only bank: N26 Business, N26 Business Smart, N26 Business You and N26 Business Metal. Here are some of the features you’ll enjoy with each account:
- Monthle fees. You will pay a monthly fee of €0 for the standard account, €4.90 for Business Smart, €9.90 for Business You and €16.90 for Business Metal.
- Card fee. You will pay a card fee of €10 with the standard account.
- ATM fees. You will be charged a transaction fee of €2 once you have reached your monthly free withdrawal limit for the Eurozone.
- Currency conversion fee. All N26 accounts come with a 0% currency conversion fee.
Fees and limits
N26 stands out against other digital banks in Ireland with its cashback offer of 0.1% (or 0.5% for N26 Business Metal). This might not sound like much, but it can add up quickly, especially if your company has a lot of outgoings each month. There are a number of other features which will make organising your business easier, including the ability to set automated savings, see insights into your spending and complimentary insurance coverage. There are four account options as well, so you can pick the level of features you’re willing to pay for.
Keep in mind that N26 Business accounts are not designed for large corporations.
How to sign up
Opening a business account with N26 can take just eight minutes, according to the bank. The paperless application process can be started from either your phone or computer. After confirming your email address and downloading the app to your smartphone, you’ll have to complete an ID verification. This is done by taking a selfie and a photo of your ID through the app. You’ll then have to pair your smartphone with your new account. After these steps, you’ll be able to add funds to your new business account.
You can then start using your account immediately, there’s no need to wait for your card to arrive in the post.
How does N26 compare with other digital banks for business in Ireland?
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.