KBC current accounts
Get free day-to-day banking transactions plus a bunch of other features when you sign up for a KBC current account.
If you’re on the hunt for a new current account for your day-to-day transactions, KBC is worth considering with its customer-centric digital-first strategy to banking. Read on to find out more about what current accounts this provider has on offer.
ATM transaction fee
Foreign transaction fee
A bit about KBC
KBC has over 40 years’ experience providing banking services to the people of Ireland. It has hubs nationwide as well as mobile and pop-up banks, plus you can access your account through online or mobile banking. Boasting award-winning savings, debit card and mortgage products, KBC assists local communities through volunteer work, donations and by supporting community events. This bank was one of the first to make opening accounts online possible, and it supports the most amount of digital wallets including Sony, Google, Fitbit, Garmin and Apple.
What are the features of KBC’s current accounts?
When you open a current account with KBC, you can enjoy the following features:
- Contactless payments. Use your debit card for contactless payments in Euros and not be charged any fees.
- Range of accounts available. KBC offers a number of current accounts, including ones designed for teens and students.
- Internet and mobile banking. Access your account from your computer, smartphone or tablet for greater convenience.
- Mobile payments. Connect your KBC debit card to Google Pay, Apple Pay, Fitbit Pay, Garmin Pay and wena pay.
- Exclusive offers and benefits. When you register your KBC debit card at pricelessireland.ie you can enjoy exclusive benefits and offers.
- Overdraft facility. Current account holders can add on an overdraft for unexpected expenses. Competitive rates are offered and you can increase, decrease or cancel your overdraft at any time.
- Secure online shopping. Every time you use your card online, you’ll be sent a code by SMS to protect against fraud.
- Loan and mortgage rate discounts. Current account holders can take advantage of bonus rates for mortgages and personal loans to save money.
- IBAN. When you apply online, you’ll get an IBAN number for international transfers.
- Open online. To save you the time of visiting a branch, the KBC current account can be opened online whenever you’re ready.
What fees will be charged?
Here are some of the main fees that apply with KBC accounts:
- The Current Account comes with a quartlery fee of €6 and an ATM withdrawal fee of €0.30
- The Extra Current Account has no quarterly fee if you lodge €2,000, every month otherwise it’s €6. You can also enjoy free ATM withdrawals by meeting the same lodgement condition.
- The Student, Teen, Basic and Current Account Plus have no maintenance fees or ATM fees when withdrawing Euros
- All KBC current accounts come with a non-Euro ATM fee of 3.50% of withdrawal amount (min €3.17 – max €11.43)
- €0.30 cheque lodgement fee
- No fees for direct debits or standing orders, mobile and online transactions or contactless payments
KBC has a handy comparison calculator on its website so you can compare its current account with what fees your existing Ireland bank charges.
What current accounts are available at KBC?
As well as the main Current Account, KBC also offers the following:
- Extra Current Account. KBC’s Extra current account has no maintenance or day-to-day transaction fees as long as you lodge a minimum of €2,000 each month. You can also add an overdraft with no setup fee (where applicable).
- Student Current Account. You get a free €50 when you open the Student current account, Google Pay, Apple Pay, no fees on day-to-day banking and a nifty mobile app to use on the go.
- Teen Current Account. With the Teen current account, you get free Euro cash withdrawals and card payments, no quarterly fees, no government stamp duty and digital benefits like Google and Apple Pay amongst others.
- Basic Current Account. This account is suitable for people who have not had a current account before and want to be able to conduct basic banking transactions. It has no quarterly maintenance fee, free contactless payments, free direct debit processing and free Euro cash withdrawals.
- Current Account Plus. If you’re 60 years or over, the Current Account Plus is the account for you. It comes with free Euro cash withdrawals and contactless payments, free direct debits and no quarterly maintenance fees. You’ll also get competitive overdraft lending rates and innovative savings accounts.
How to open a new KBC current account
To open the main KBC Current account you will need to complete an application and provide proof of identity and proof of address dated within the last six months. There are four different ways to go about this with different documentation requirements:
- In a KBC hub. 1x original proof of identity and 1x proof of address
- Over the phone. 2x proof of identity and 2x proof of address
- Online through the KBC website. 2x proof of identity and 2x proof of address
- Via the KBC mobile app. 1x proof of identity, 1x selfie and 2x proof of address
Some of KBC’s other accounts can only be opened in a hub or over the phone, so check the requirements on the KBC website.
How to switch to a current account with KBC
Switching current accounts may seem like a chore, but KBC makes things easy.
- Open an account with KBC
- Complete a switch form and choose a switch date. The switch date is when the process will begin of switching over your accounts. This process can take up to 10 working days so it’s a good idea to choose a time of month when you don’t have a lot of activity.
- KBC will contact your existing bank to arrange the transfer of direct debits, standing orders and funds.
- Complete a salary transfer form for your salary to direct to your new account
- Your new account will be up and running within 7-10 working days
You can find more information about this process as well as appropriate forms on the KBC website.
Looking for more options? Compare a range of current bank accounts in Ireland
What are the pros and cons of KBC?
- A range of current accounts to suit your needs
- Avoid maintenance and transaction fees by lodging €2,000 per month into the Extra Current Account
- Maintain a €2,000 balance in your account to avoid ATM withdrawal and cheque lodgement fees
- Use of the KBC banking app to manage your finances on the go
- Discounted rates on loans and mortgages subject to availability
- Free internet and mobile banking transactions
- Pay using Apple Pay, Google Pay, FitBit Pay, Garmin Pay and wena pay
- Several ways to apply for a current account including via the mobile app and online
- As there are no cash facilities at KBC hubs in Ireland, you won’t be able to make withdrawals or cash lodgements
- Maintenance and transaction fees will be applied to your Extra Current Account if you can’t lodge at least €2,000 per month
- You can only apply for the Current Account Plus account via a KBC hub or over the phone
- Foreign exchange fees and charges will be applied for non-Euro purchases using your debit card
KBC has a range of current accounts to suit many different people including students and those enjoying retirement. You’ll be able to shortlist a suitable current account depending on your own situation.
If you know you’ll be lodging €2,000+ into the account each month but want to avoid fees, KBC’s Extra Current Account is worth a look. But before settling on a current account, compare those available in Ireland from our table above.