Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Invest in renewable energy stocks
Start here if you want to buy stocks in sustainable energy companies from Ireland.
As populations grow and resources become strained, renewable energy is now a major priority of governments around the world. Increasingly, investors in Ireland are choosing to back companies that support the environment while ditching fossil-fuel emitters. If you’re looking to invest in renewable energy stocks and other sustainable securities, you can start here.
Renewable energy stocks
A common way to invest in clean energy is through the purchase of stocks of individual companies. The nature of these stocks is that their prices can be incredibly volatile, especially in newer, niche industries such as renewables.
You could reduce some of this risk by investing in companies that do more than just renewables, such as:
- General Electric (GE) has large exposure to wind power through its branch GE wind
- Siemens (SI) has large investments in solar panels and wind turbines
Stocks in companies focused entirely on renewables have a higher risk, with high potential returns. Various renewable energy companies you might want to consider include the following, though some of these are over-the-counter stocks not listed on a major stock exchange — and may not be available in every brokerage account.
- Vestas Wind Systems (VWDRY), a wind turbine manufacturer
- Gamesa (GCTAF), a wind turbine manufacturer
- NextEra Energy (NEE), a wind and solar utility
- Tesla (TSLA), an electric vehicle manufacturer
- First Solar (FSLR), a solar panel manufacturer
- Brookfield Renewable Partners (BEP), a hydroelectric producer
- Avangrid Renewables (AGR), a wind and solar utility
How do I invest in renewable energy?
There are several categories of renewable energy including solar power, wind power, biomass, geothermal and hydroelectric, and some include nuclear energy to that list, despite its controversy. Below is a list of ways that you can invest in companies that support renewable energy.
- Renewable energy stocks. Some of the biggest renewable energy companies are listed on stock exchanges in overseas markets such as the US or Canada. Access these through a broker that offers international stocks.
- Sustainability ETFs. ETFs contain a bundle of stocks, usually hundreds, and these often track an index of stocks. Some popular renewable ETFs include the iShares Global Clean Energy ETF (ICLN), PowerShares WilderHill Clean Energy Fund (PBW) and First Trust NASDAQ Clean Edge Green Energy Index Fund (QCLN).
- Direct investment into renewable energy projects. You can invest directly into a renewable energy project, like a community-owned solar farm.
How do I buy renewable energy stocks?
- Choose a stock trading platform. If you’re a beginner, our table below can help you choose.
- Open your account. You’ll typically need your ID, bank information and tax details.
- Confirm your payment details. You’ll need to fund your account with a bank transfer, debit card or credit card.
- Find the shares you want to buy. Search the platform and buy your stocks. It’s that simple.
Compare share trading platforms to buy renewable energy stocks
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Why invest in renewable energy?
In the last century, we’ve come to rely on fossil fuels to create electricity, power our vehicles and drive manufacturing. But overwhelming evidence says the extraction and use of coal, oil and gas are causing irreversible environmental damage and global warming. Fossil fuels are also finite – over time we’ll be forced to rely on alternative energy sources, regardless of our environmental views.
With the world’s population expected to reach almost 10 billion by 2050, both environmental constraints and limited fuel and water supply (used in mining) will increase our need for renewable and clean energy sources. For these reasons, investing in renewable energy stocks makes both environmental and money sense.
Risks to consider
While it is important to support sustainability, you should always be aware of potential risks before jumping into an investment. Here are some risks associated with the renewables space:
- When newer or smaller companies run into trouble, their value can plummet dramatically. This makes renewables a volatile investment.
- Renewable energy is still a specialty area, meaning the risks are higher.
- While many governments are encouraging renewable energy, an unpredictable change in public policy has the potential to negatively impact investors.
Renewable energy stocks and other green investments are one way to invest your money in a cause you care about, but no commodity or stock is completely risk-free. To limit your risk, diversify your portfolio and consult a financial advisor. For more information about your investing options, read our guide to investing.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Certified financial planner (CFP) vs robo-advisor statistics
Nearly 1 in 5 adults in Ireland say they receive stock trading advice.
How to buy AMTD Digital (HKD) stocks
Steps to owning and managing AMTD Digital Inc., with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
Freedom Finance review
Access global stock exchanges through online broker Freedom Finance. Choose from 3 accounts to suit your own investing needs. Find out the fees here.
How Ireland will be investing in 2022
Finder’s Retail Investor Sentiment Report polled 39,573 Internet users across 26 countries to see how they’ll be investing their money in 2022.
How to invest in the S&P 500 in Ireland
Find out the different ways you can invest in the S&P 500, one of the world’s most popular stock market indices.
Capital.com review: A trading platform for forex and CFDs
Gain access to over 6,000 separate markets with the Capital.com trading platform. But is it right for you? Learn more here.
Zacks Trade Ireland review
What to expect when you sign up for a Zacks Trade brokerage account.
How to invest €10k in Ireland
Grow your wealth with a variety of investment strategies for €10,000.
How to invest money
Learn the basics of what it takes for novices to get started in the investment world, including an overview of your options and what to watch out for.
Ask an Expert