How to send money to Zambia
Do you need to send funds to Zambia from Ireland? These tips will help you save money.
Although it might seem like a complicated process, sending money from Ireland to Zambia doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive. If a friend or family member needs money quickly, you can use a money transfer service to convert your European euros into Zambian kwachas. You’ll likely get a better interest rate and less fees, saving you money and getting more funds to your recipient in Zambia.
Compare money transfer services to Zambia
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Transfers involve one person providing funds to a bank or an independent money transfer company that then converts the money to another currency–in this case, the Zambian kwacha. This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account. Your transfer can be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or made available as cash for them to pick up at a nearby location.Back to top
What criteria to use to compare transfer companies when sending and receiving money between Zambia and Ireland?
- Exchange Rates. Exchange rates were relatively consistent but that you could get the best rate using a money transfer company that got its rates through the bank. The drawback to this was usually the time delays in sending money.
- Pickup Methods. Zambia offers a robust financial infrastructure and allows someone to receive money in their bank account, as well as cash at an agent or branch location.
- Fees. Fees are much higher if you want to send her money with a quick delivery and a low amounts,but are generally standard.
- Bank to Bank Benefits. There is no clear bank to bank benefit that you could find through research.
- Turnaround Time. The turnaround time can range from minutes to five days in sending money to Zambia.
- Transfer Methods. There are a couple of options through the services including branch, bank accounts, online, phone and agent.
- Transfer Options. Because you want to pay off debt, you will most probably want to find a recurring payment solution. You can also see the value of a currency option so you can fix your rates when they are low.
- Minimum and Maximum Transfer Amounts. Although some companies specify these, the lower the transfer amount, the higher the fees can be.
- Customer Service. MoneyGram and Western Union have been around for years and offer vast support structures worldwide, whilst Xpress Money is newer with support features like live chat. Citibank also has a huge reach with customer support ranging across global boundaries.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rates are a flexible scale that determines how much the currency of one country is worth when converted to the currency of another currency. The European euro (EUR) has traditionally been strong against the Zambian kwacha (ZMW), meaning that you will get more kwachas for every euro you transfer. Interest rates, economic stability and inflation rates all influence the exchange rate between Ireland and Zambia.
What are your options for sending money to Zambia from Ireland?
- Money transfer services. Moneygram, Western Union and Xpress Money are able to send money to Zambia.
- Banks. Citibank has branches in Zambia, but requires a visit to the branch to send and receive money. Commonwealth Bank allows you to send money to Zambia and receive it and can also be used to send money to someone with a supported bank account in Zambia.
What are the steps to send money to Zambia using various services?
- Browse the table above and compare each provider’s rates, fees and delivery speed to find a service that works for you and your recipient.
- Click Go to Site when you’ve found a good provider.
- Create an account and enter your personal information, including your bank account information if required.
- Enter your recipient’s information.
- Pay for the transfer.
- Keep your tracking number and give it to your recipient if they are planning to pick up cash. This helps you ensure your transfer goes through smoothly.
Tips for picking up cash in Zambia
Here’s what you’ll need when picking up cash in Zambia:
- A government-issued ID.
- The tracking or reference number.
In addition, you should follow a few simple steps to ensure that you and your money stay safe:
- Avoid any areas where crime is known to be a problem.
- Keep your wallet and/or bag safe and secure at all times.
- Take a friend along to provide additional security and peace of mind.
- Don’t flash your cash around in public.
- Don’t carry large sums of money around for any longer than is absolutely necessary.
How to handle an emergency money transfer
If your friend or family member needs cash immediately, there are money transfer companies that can perform a same-day transfer. Keep in mind that these will have subprime exchange rates and higher fees than transfers that are made over the course of a few days. Gauge your need and the total cost of the transfer before committing. If it can wait, you’ll likely save money and be able to transfer more than with an emergency transfer.
More guides on Finder
The UK-based CurrencyTransfer platform lets you compare and select the best money transfer rates.
EUR to GBP exchange rate
EUR to GBP Exchange Rate
EUR to THB Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Thai Baht. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to THB.
EUR to PKR Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Pakistani Rupee. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to PKR.
EUR to PHP exchange rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Philippine Peso. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to PHP.
EUR to PLN Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Polish Zloty. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to PLN.
EUR to HUF Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Hungarian Forint. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to HUF.
EUR to HKD exchange rate
Live exchange rates US dollar to Hong Kong Dollar. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to HKD.
EUR to CZK exchange rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Czech Koruna. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to CZK.
EUR to NZD exchange rate
Live exchange rates Euro to New Zealand Dollar. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to NZD.
Ask an Expert