How to send money to Honduras
Send money to Honduras using an international money transfer service and you could beat the bank’s rates.
Compare money transfer services to Honduras
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Honduras?
When sending money to Honduras, several aspects require your attention.
- Exchange rate and fees. It is important that you pay attention to both these aspects together. This is because a highly competitive exchange rate might come with a steep transfer fee. On the other hand, you may not get a good exchange rate through a service provider that does not charge any fees. An easy way to compare your options on this front is to look at how much money the recipient stands to receive.
- Ways to send money. If your bank allows electronic fund transfers to Honduras you may be able to initiate the process in person, online or over the phone. Various money transfer companies let you send money to Honduras online, some have stores and kiosks that you can visit to send money in person, and some let you go through the process over the phone as well.
- Ways to receive money. One option is that the recipient receives money directly into a Honduran bank account. Another is to collect transferred funds from a cash pickup location.
- Transfer options. Working with a company that lets you schedule recurring payments can work in your favor if you plan to send money regularly. This way, you won’t have to go through the entire process before each transfer. If you wish to benefit by fluctuations in the foreign exchange market, you can look for businesses that offer forward contracts and limit orders.
- Turnaround time. Transfers that involve sending money to cash pickup locations tend to go through almost instantly. Turnaround time for transfers to Honduran bank accounts can vary significantly depending on the service provider you choose, from one to several days.
- Customer service. Good money transfer companies offer support over the phone, via chat and via email. If you see no more than an email address as a means to contact a service provider, you may want to move on to your next option.
Foreign exchange rates explainedThe exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. A strong currency will yield more money when exchanged in a country with a weak currency. Since Honduras has a flexible exchange rate, it can change from moment to moment based on factors like interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
How do I send money to Honduras from Ireland?
You get to choose from a number of options when sending money to Honduras from Ireland.
- Banks. While using the services of a bank is possible to send money to Honduras, the process, in all likelihood, would involve a transfer fee. Sending a bank-issued money order, check or draft via mail is also an option.
- Non-banks. Non-banking businesses such as Western Union and MoneyGram let you send money to cash pickup locations in Honduras. Ones such as WorldRemit let you transfer funds to Honduran bank accounts. OFX is a trusted partner of Finder IE and is offering Finder readers an exclusive deal of 0 in fees.
- PayPal. If you and the recipient have PayPal accounts, you can use its services to send money to Honduras from Ireland. You don’t have to pay any fees to open a PayPal account and the process takes little time.
Steps to send money to Honduras
- Register for an account with a provider, supplying your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and information about your preferred payment method.
- Provide your recipient’s name and contact information.
- Select the amount of money to transfer.
- Complete your transaction and save the reference number you receive to review the progress of your transfer.
Same-day cash transfers in Honduras
You might need to send an emergency cash transfer to Honduras — for example, if a relative is touring the ruins of Copán and loses their wallet. When the speed of the transfer is the decisive factor the transaction is likely to be expensive. Compare the exchange rate and fees for your transaction before you commit.Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in Honduras
Whether picking up funds in Tegucigalpa or anywhere else around the world, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
Cash pickup locations in Honduras
More guides on Finder
How to sell on eBay (and make money)
The complete beginner’s guide to selling on eBay, including how to set up a store, eBay fees, shipping options and money-saving tips.
Review: Ria money transfer
Learn how Ria Money Transfer, the third-largest provider of international money transfers in the world, may help you get more money to your destination with competitive exchange rates and low fees.
How can I make sure my money transfer made it safely?
How do you know if your international money transfer made it safely? Learn how to track or cancel, and find out what your rights are when it comes to sending money.
How to transfer money overseas from my bank account
From bank transfers to specialist money transfer companies, there are several options available when you need to transfer money overseas from your bank account.
Western Union vs MoneyGram
To find the best rate for your next money transfer, check out our comparison of the fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds of Western Union and MoneyGram.
Review: Bank of Ireland international money transfers
All the info you need to know about exchange rates, fees and processing times when you send money overseas with Bank of Ireland.
Review: TransferMate for your international business transfer
TransferMate can help your business send money across the globe. Read our review to find out about exchange rates, fees and safety.
Review: ACE money transfer
Find out whether ACE money transfer has the flexibility and speed when you need to send money overseas. And most importantly, see if it can save you money.
Review: Fexco money transfers
Learn about transferring money with Fexco and compare exchange rates, fees and delivery speeds.
Review: AIB international money transfers
Check out the fees, exchanges rates and turnaround time for AIB international money transfers in our review.
Ask an Expert