So you want to send money to Greece, but aren’t sure where to start? We’ve got you covered. At Finder Ireland, we understand that you want to find the most convenient and affordable money transfer services to send money to Greece – the real trick lies in figuring out how to find the best deal. We’ve compiled this handy guide to help you do just that.
You can check the list below for the names of the lenders and providers offering money transfer services to Greece.
Send money to Greece with XE
XE specializes in a wide range of foreign currency solutions and offers an affordable option when you need to send money overseas.
- Send money to 170+ countries
- Competitive exchange rates that are often better than banks
- Transfer up to $500,000 online
- See exchange rates in real-time
Banks versus money transfer companies
Many people head straight for their bank when they need to send money overseas but this hasn’t always been a viable option in Greece. In June 2015, Greece was at the forefront of a severe credit crisis, which led the government to close banks and stock markets, and implement strict money transfer restrictions. While certain money transfer companies suspended their services to Greece during this time, the economy has begun to recover and slowly but surely the money transfer providers and banks have re-opened their doors for business.
- Banks. Your bank will typically be happy to send a wire transfer to Greece on your behalf, but expect to pay exorbitant fees for the service.
- Money transfer services. You can often save a significant amount of money by choosing to send funds with a dedicated money transfer service. These companies offer bank-beating exchange rates and fees, and you’re almost certain to find a better deal so long as you take the time to compare your options.
How do I compare service companies when transferring money to Greece?
Back to top
- Transaction fees. Look at the fees that will apply to your transaction and remember that many providers will waive their fees if you send a certain amount of money (usually around €10,000).
- Transfer methods. Many companies will offer different options for transferring funds, including cash pickups, bank-to-bank transfers and even mobile wallet top-ups. Figure out which service offers the right transfer method for your needs.
- Bonus features. Certain money transfer providers will offer bonus features like forward contracts and limit orders which allow you to book a lower exchange rate in advance of your transfer. Ask about the wide range of options that may be available to you before you settle on a service.
- Fast transfer times. Banks and money transfer providers typically take a couple of days to process while money and cash transfer services will often go through in a matter of minutes.
- Customer service. Make sure to pick a company with 24/7 customer service and a proven commitment to customer satisfaction.
Business as usual for transfers from Ireland to Greece
While two major transfer providers, Western Union and MoneyGram, previously suspended their services into Greece, the majority of banks, financial institutions and global transfer specialists have no current restrictions on transfers from Ireland to Greece.
The following lenders and global transfer providers have confirmed that they have no restrictions on transfers into Greece as normal fees and rates apply:
- Western Union
These providers claim that it’s “business as usual” for transferring money to Greece; however, they do warn that you should exercise caution if you need to transfer money out of the country.Back to top
Emergency cash transfers to Greece
Emergencies can take their toll, particularly when they involve losing access to funds overseas. Cash pick-up options like MoneyGram and Western Union can arrange to send money to one of their hundreds of thousands of agent locations across the world in as little as 10 minutes. While this can be an appealing offer, it pays to understand the terms and conditions of a cash transfer since this will often come attached with a steep price tag. If you have a flexible timeline, you can save a lot of money by comparing other companies to complete your transaction.
What are the steps to send money to Greece?
To send money to Greece, you will typically need to follow a couple of basic steps before you can lock in your transfer.
- Sign up for an account. Register for a free online account with your chosen provider using your name, contact details and proof of ID.
- Enter your transaction information. Specify your currency and the amount you’re looking to send along with your recipient’s banking and personal details.
- Complete your transfer. Submit your transfer and use your reference number to track your funds.
With a government debt ratio forecast to reach 150% in 2020 and 140% in 2022, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) warns that Greece will be vulnerable to economic shocks in the years to come.
The people of Greece turned down a bailout package offered by the European Union in 2017 that would have extended their current loan terms and offered solutions that would also help to pay off these loans. The European Union subsequently provided a €7 billion bridge loan to Greece on 21 July 2018. This loan was used to pay down some of the outstanding payments on the country’s current debts.
While no restrictions are currently in place for transfers from Ireland to Greece, be aware that circumstances in the country could change at any time.Back to top