How to send money to France
Find out how you can make a quick, affordable money transfer from Ireland to France.
From its food and wine to its culture, its poetic language and its natural beauty, France is a favourite destination for tourists. If you need to send money from Ireland to France, you have plenty of options. However, it pays to compare your options and shop around to find the best deal.
Banks versus money transfer services
When you need to send an international money transfer, you may consider contacting your bank. While banks can handle wire transfers with ease, it’s not necessarily the best choice from a financial perspective.
There are plenty of dedicated money transfer companies that offer you a better deal than the banks. Reliable and secure, these companies can provide much better exchange rates and they lower transfer fees, with some waiving its fees when you send more than a certain amount.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to France
By comparing a few elements of your transfer, you can ensure that you get the cheapest deal for your needs.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate — especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Flexible transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
Case study: Guy sends money to France
Guy left his home in Paris to work in Ireland. While he lives there, he shares his wealth with his parents back in Paris. He regularly sends international wire transfers from his Irish bank but, having grown tired of their high fees, he decides to see if he can get a better deal by comparing two money transfer companies.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Transfer method||Cash pickup||Bank account deposit|
|Transfer time||10 minutes||3 business days|
As you can see, while the first company can get Guy’s funds to his family in minutes, the second company can save him €53 in fees.
Steps to send money to France
- Register for an account with a provider, supplying your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and information about your selected payment method.
- Provide your recipient’s information and contact details.
- Select the amount of your transfer and complete your transaction.
- Preserve your receipt or other proof of transaction in order to monitor the progress of your transfer.
Options to send money to France
- Bank transfers. Many Irish banks will allow you to send money to France.
- Money transfer providers. Providers can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from Ireland to France.
Tips for picking up cash in France
Whether picking up funds in Nice, or anywhere else around the world, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
Emergency cash transfers in France
You might need to send an emergency cash transfer to France— for example, if a friend traveling through the country loses their wallet. When you need to transfer funds urgently, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.Back to top
Read more on this topic
Using limit orders on currency trades What is a limit order, and how can it be useful for your forex trading or transfers?
Western Union vs a bank transfer Who wins? We compared Western Union and the banks side-by-side to see how they stack up.
Sending money internationally during the coronavirus pandemic Learn about how COVID-19 may affect the ways you transfer cash around the world.
Review: ACE money transfer Find out whether ACE money transfer has the flexibility and speed when you need to send money overseas. And most importantly, see if it can save you money.
Remittance statistics We've unpacked the most recently available data from the World Bank to get an idea of how much money is being sent around the globe.
Review: Small World money transfers Learn how Small World compares to other money transfer providers on fees, rates and delivery speeds.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
Review: Western Union Business Solutions Western Union Business Solutions can help you manage cash flow and payments around the world.
Review: Veem business transfers Learn more about how Veem's payment tools could help save your business money.
How to send money to Gabon Compare Gabon money transfer services to find a better deal.
Ask an Expert