How to send money to El Salvador
International money transfers don’t have to cost a lot. Find an affordable way to send money to El Salvador.
Compare international money transfers to El Salvador
Use our interactive table to compare transfer fees and other details for sending funds to El Salvador with our money transfer partners.
Banks vs. money transfer companies
Many major Irish banks offer the option to send funds to El Salvador, but they typically charge high transfer fees.
A reputable money transfer specialist can typically offer lower fees and faster turnaround, saving you money and putting more euros into your recipient’s pocket.Back to top
Why does El Salvador use the US dollar?
After suffering through a devastating civil war ended in 1992, El Salvador’s government put in place a series of acts designed to spark the economy, including privatizing the country’s banking system. In an attempt to further grow the economy, the country “dollarized” its currency system at the start of 2001, introducing the US dollar as its official currency. A downside of this system is that El Salvador has no control over its own monetary policy, including printing its own currency.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to El Salvador
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- “Hedging” options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Transfer limits. Is the minimum transfer too high for your needs? Your best option might depend on how much you want to send.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explainedThe exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency.
However, most countries’ exchange rates are flexible, which means they can fluctuate with the market. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
What are the ways that I can send money to El Salvador?
- Bank transfers. Many major Irish banks will allow you to wire money to banks in El Salvador. However, a downside is the frustratingly high fees you’ll pay.
- Online money transfer providers. It’s simple and convenient to send an online money transfer to El Salvador from the comfort of your home.
- Providers with cash pickup. Companies like Western Union and MoneyGram offer the option of cash pickups from agent locations in El Salvador.
- Peer-to-peer apps. Venmo, Circle and PayPal are just a few of the apps you can use to send money to El Salvador.
- International checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or postal service.
Steps to send money to El Salvador
- Choose a transfer provider that has the delivery speed, rates and fees you need.
- Register with the provider, including your name, address, contact information and date of birth. A valid photo ID may also be required.
- Provide your recipient’s name, address and contact details. You may also need to include their bank account information depending on the type of transfer.
- Enter the amount you want to transfer and complete your transaction. You should receive and email with a tracking or receipt number to follow up on the progress of your transfer.
Emergency cash transfers in El Salvador
You might need to send an emergency cash transfer to El Salvador — for example, if a friend traveling through the country loses their wallet. When you need to transfer funds urgently, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the transfer fee and delivery speeds against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.
Tips for picking up cash in El Salvador
Whether picking up funds in San Salvador, San Miguel or anywhere else around the world, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
Cash pickup locations in El Salvador
More guides on Finder
How to sell on Newegg
Read our comprehensive guide to selling on Newegg, including sourcing products, Newegg fees, international shipping options and more.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here’s how we choose them.
How to sell on eBay (and make money)
The complete beginner’s guide to selling on eBay, including how to set up a store, eBay fees, shipping options and money-saving tips.
Alternatives to TransferWise
Learn about how TransferWise alternatives can help you send more money for less.
Review: Ria money transfer
Learn how Ria Money Transfer, the third-largest provider of international money transfers in the world, may help you get more money to your destination with competitive exchange rates and low fees.
How can I make sure my money transfer made it safely?
How do you know if your international money transfer made it safely? Learn how to track or cancel, and find out what your rights are when it comes to sending money.
Western Union vs MoneyGram
To find the best rate for your next money transfer, check out our comparison of the fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds of Western Union and MoneyGram.
Review: Bank of Ireland international money transfers
All the info you need to know about exchange rates, fees and processing times when you send money overseas with Bank of Ireland.
Review: TransferMate for your international business transfer
TransferMate can help your business send money across the globe. Read our review to find out about exchange rates, fees and safety.
Review: ACE money transfer
Find out whether ACE money transfer has the flexibility and speed when you need to send money overseas. And most importantly, see if it can save you money.
Ask an Expert