Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Ecuador
Compare fees and exchange rates to get the best deal on your next money transfer to Ecuador.
Ecuador has seen a steady economic growth of 3% above average over the past seven years, despite slight slumps in the last quarters of 2015.
Compare money transfer services
The key variables you should use to compare money transfer companies
It’s vital for you to send as much as possible money over to Ecuador without losing on costs and delaying your study loan repayments. Use the following key factors to compare the money transfer companies and has made the data available to you:
- Exchange rates and fees –Generally speaking, the money transfer companies offer a more attractive fee compared to banks that will send money to Ecuador.
- Pick up methods – You’ll have to choose between a combination of convenience, risk, and customer experience that will form your choice of where you want to pick up your money. In Ecuador, most money transfer companies will offer an online or agent pick-up location, with banks like Commonwealth only doing account-based transfers.
- Fees – Keep in mind that there is always the risk of other fees depending on where you receive the money.
- Bank to bank benefits – Citibank has branches in Ecuador but it will require a branch visit to determine the benefits. Commonwealth only deals in sending money to Ecuador.
- Turnaround time – This can mean the difference between peace and catastrophe. Turnaround times can vary between tenminutes and five working days.
- Transfer methods – Online banking, mobile money transfers, bank account transfers and cash are all available options to consider when sending money.
- Transfer options – Most services offer mobile money transfers, regular payments, and standard international transfers and traveller’s cheques.
- Minimum transfer amounts – As with the transfer time, there is a lot of variation that depends on the service you choose.
- Customer service – Service delivery plays a huge role in our experiences when travelling. Sometimes it is worth risking a higher fee for the sake of sure and secure handling of your money.
Which options do I have to send money to Ecuador?
- Banks – You can send money transfers by using Citibank that will allow you to send bank to bank transfers. Visit a local branch to establish fees and exchange rates. Commonwealth bank will allow you to do an international money transfer to Ecuador but doesn’t have bank infrastructure support on that side.
- Money transfer services – Most money transfer companies will support transfers to online or bank accounts to Ecuador because of the USD currency. When it comes to cash pick up, take note of any extra fees on the receiving end. Services like Exchange4Free will require an account but can send money to any bank and will also do wire transfers.
- PayPal – You can send and receive money between your PayPal accounts and then transfer it to a bank account (if you have a bank account in Ecuador that supports PayPal).
How will I be able to receive money from Ecuador in Ireland?
- Banks – You can send money transfers by using Citibank that will allow you to send bank to bank transfers. Visit a local Irish branch to establish fees and exchange rates.
- Money transfer companies – Although most companies support the USD that Ecuador trades in, it might be difficult to find one that supports sending money from Ecuador itself when it comes to online transfer services. In cases like these it can be a wise option to go with something that has the surety of Moneygram and Western Union.
- PayPal – You can send and receive money between your PayPal accounts and then transfer it to a bank account (if you have a bank account in Ireland that supports PayPal).
Emergency transfers for receiving money in ten minutes
As mentioned, Moneygram and Western Union are sure options when transferring money. They are also some of the best options when it comes to receiving money in emergency situations. Despite the high cost, it is still a service that has through time showed its worth. Below are some locations for when you need the cash asap, and tomorrow isn’t soon enough.
Cash pick-up locations in Ecuador when using Moneygram and Western Union
- Almacenes TiaCalle Lizardo Ruiz Of-4907 E Alfareros YEntre Alfareros Y25 De Mayo, Quito, Pichincha+593-2-2598245Open Monday to Saturday 9am to 7pm, Sundays closed
- Cac Huaicana TandaCalle Principal Y Acueducto Pa, Quito, Pichincha593+1800-937-837Open Monday to Saturday 9am to 6pm, Sunday 9am to 7pm
Transfer union Red Active
Sucre 0840 E 10 De Agosto Y Ro, Loja, Loja+593-7-2560108Open Monday to Saturday 9am to 6pm, Sundays closed
AG Easypagos Coop Luz Del Valle
Calle principal detras iglesia de tolontan tolontan, Quito,022860773Open Monday to Saturday 8am to 7:30pm, Sundays 8am to 6pm
Ecuagiros – #056 – banco bolivariano qui
CC. El recreo 39-41 local, Quito7132785436Open Monday to Friday 10am to 7pm, Saturday 10am to 6pm, Sundays 24 hours
Artefacta – easypagos – loja – loj 2
Y Bolivar, Riofrio 14-24, Loja72565519Open Monday to Friday 9am to 7:30pm, Saturday 10am to 7pm, Sunday 9am to 4pm
Good-to-know tips when picking up money in Ecuador
Tip number one is to have extra dollars on you for when things go south. Bureaux de changes aren’t around as they used to be in Ecuador. It will be a tricky situation to be in when you need the pay unforeseen fees in picking up money but you’re strapped for cash.
There are more than enough pick-up locations in urban areas so don’t test the pressure of going into unsafe areas because you’re afraid you won’t get your money in time. Always have the necessary proof that you’re picking up your own money and you’ll be good to go!Back to top
What will you need to be able to send money to and from Ecuador?
To a bank or bank account (generally speaking):
- The bank code, full name and address of the bank that you’re transferring to.
- The recipient’s name, address and account number.
- The amount and currency you wish to send.
- An email address for the recipient so they know when you have initiated your IMT (this is optional).
When receiving from someone to your bank account in Ireland:
- Bank Name
- BSB / Account Number
- BIC/ SWIFT CODE
- Account Name
Common guidelines using a money transfer company
When sending money from Ireland using a service like Western Union, you will need the following:
- You’ll need your receiver’s full name (as it appears on their ID) and address, and a Visa® or Mastercard® credit, debit or prepaid card issued by an Irish bank. You also must be over 18.
- When you first register with Western Union, they will need certain information so they can confirm your identity and create an online profile for you. You’ll need an Irish driver’s license, Medicare card or passport for this.
- In some cases, you may also be required to call the call center if they need additional information, of which they will let you know.
When sending money from Ireland using a service like MoneyGram, you will need the following:
- You will need to visit a Moneygram branch and provide Photo Identification.
- A completed sending form with the money and fees that you want to send.
- You may have to provide proof of address and any or more of the following; driving license, passport, national ID card, or Government issued identification.
- For the receiver to pick up the money you will have to send them the reference number you get after the transaction is completed.
More guides on Finder
The UK-based CurrencyTransfer platform lets you compare and select the best money transfer rates.
Neat Business review
Learn how Neat works in Ireland and what your business stand to gain with their e-payments platform.
Review: Payoneer for online sellers
Read our guide to Payoneer and how it can help marketplace sellers save money when receiving international payments.
OFX Global Currency Account for online sellers review
Our in-depth review of the OFX Global Currency Account for online sellers, including supported currencies, fees, exchange rates and registration.
Review: Moneycorp online seller account
Your detailed review of the Moneycorp multi-currency account for online sellers, which is compatible with 14 marketplaces and can hold EUR, GBP and USD.
How to sell on Zazzle
If you want to start selling on Zazzle, check out our guide to setting up a store, creating products, promotions and marketing, and getting paid.
How to sell on Shopify
If you want to start selling on Shopify, find out how to set up your shop, price your products and attract customers in this handy guide.
How to sell on Newegg
Read our comprehensive guide to selling on Newegg, including sourcing products, Newegg fees, international shipping options and more.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here’s how we choose them.
How to sell on Facebook Marketplace
If you want to make money selling on Facebook Marketplace, find out how in this detailed guide.
Ask an Expert