How to send money to Denmark
Compare fees and exchange rates to get the best deal on your next money transfer to Denmark.
Compare international money transfer services to Denmark
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Denmark. This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet, or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.Back to top
Banks versus money transfer companies
Any major bank will be able to send an international wire transfer to Denmark and plenty of other countries around the world. The problem, however, is that they will most likely charge you a high fee for doing so and will also offer you a pretty poor exchange rate.
So instead of approaching your bank to send money to Denmark, consider the services of a specialist money transfer company. These companies offer better exchange rates and minimal fees on transfers, allowing you to enjoy big savings while still providing quick and secure transactions.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Denmark
- Exchange rates. How do each provider’s exchange rates stack up against the competition?
- Fees. How much will you need to pay for each transfer, and can you avoid fees if you send a large amount?
- Transfer methods. What methods are available for making transfers: online, via a mobile app, over the phone and/or by visiting a branch?
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Turnaround time. How long will it take for your funds to arrive at their destination: a few minutes, 24 hours, or several days?
- Minimum limit. Is there a high minimum transfer limit imposed on all transactions?
- Pick-up methods. How will your recipient access the funds: cash pick-up or from their bank account?
- Customer service. Are phone and email support offered and during what hours? Is there an online help center and a live chat option?
Foreign exchange rates explainedThe exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it will yield more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. Although part of the eurozone, Denmark continues to use the krone as its currency. Denmark’s exchange rate is flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment based on factors like interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Options for sending money to Denmark from Ireland
- Bank transfers. Transferring funds from an Irish bank account to a Danish bank account is a simple but potentially expensive option.
- Online money transfer providers. TorFX and OrbitRemit are two providers that offer this service.
- PayPal. You can send international money transfers to Denmark online through PayPal.
- Money transfer companies with cash pick-up options. Western Union and MoneyGram both offer this service.
- Cheques. Send an international guaranteed cheque issued by your bank.
Steps to send money to Denmark
- Choose a transfer provider that sends money to Denmark.
- Register with the provider and supply your name, address, contact information, date of birth and proof of ID.
- Provide your recipient’s name, address and contact details. For some transfers you have to supply their bank account information as well.
- Enter the amount you want to send. Complete your transaction and save your tracking or receipt number to follow up on the progress of your transfer.
Tips for picking up cash in Denmark
- Be careful — stay aware of your surroundings and your personal safety at all times.
- Don’t visit a transfer agent in an area where you do not feel safe.
- If possible, ask a friend to accompany you when you collect the cash.
- Don’t publicise the fact that you have just picked up a large amount of money.
- Don’t carry large sums of money on your person — deposit it in your bank account as soon as you can.
More guides on Finder
Revolut Premium vs Revolut Standard
We compare Revolut Standard and Revolut Premium side by side to help you decide which account is right for you.
The UK-based CurrencyTransfer platform lets you compare and select the best money transfer rates.
EUR to GBP exchange rate
EUR to GBP Exchange Rate
EUR to THB Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Thai Baht. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to THB.
EUR to SEK Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Swedish Krona. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to SEK.
EUR to RON Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Romanian Leu. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to RON.
EUR to PKR Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Pakistani Rupee. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to PKR.
EUR to PHP exchange rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Philippine Peso. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to PHP.
EUR to PLN Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Polish Zloty. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to PLN.
EUR to NGN Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Nigeria Naira. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to NGN.
Ask an Expert