Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Bosnia and Herzegovina
Take advantage of low fees and competitive exchange rates when sending money to Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Despite periods of instability in the region, Bosnia and Herzegovina continues efforts to maintain peace within its borders since the end of the Bosnian War. The country is a member of several international organisations promoting peace and is currently transitioning from a centrally planned economy to a market economy.
Compare Money Transfer Services
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Bosnia and Herzegovina?
Here’s how to make sure you get the best value for your European euros when sending money to Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Exchange rates. Some services offer quicker delivery for a higher fee, while others offer low or zero fees but with a longer delivery delay. The idea is to find the combination that helps you save on transfer fees and guarantees the best exchange rate.
- Pick-up methods. Money can be deposited directly into the recipient’s account or the recipient can collect the funds in person at a designated pick-up point.
- Fees. Some services charge a transfer fee as well as a fee to convert your euros into the local currency. Keep in mind that transfers to Bosnia and Herzegovina are expensive.
- Same-bank transfers. Transferring between accounts held at the same bank usually don’t incur any fees.
- Turnaround time. Transfer time differs from service to service, but most guarantee delivery within two to three business days.
- Transfer methods. Most services facilitate transfers online, via telephone or in person at a branch.
- Transfer options. Depending on the service, you can have your account set up to make regular payments to your recipients or market orders for investments.
- Minimum transfer amounts. Most money transfer services usually have a minimum amount you can send.
- Customer service. A good, reliable customer service department is essential. If you can’t get the information you need from the reference or tracking number, customer service should be able to answer your questions.
How do I send money to Bosnia and Herzegovina from Ireland?
Not all money transfer companies and banks allow transfers to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Your best bet would be an international wire service like Western Union. Here are a few alternatives to consider.
- Ria Financial. This is a transfer service that will send money to your recipient online in minutes, but for a relatively high fee.
- WorldRemit. This online transfer service facilitates bank transfers between Ireland and Bosnia and Herzegovina for a small fee.
How do I receive money from Bosnia and Herzegovina in Ireland?
If you need to send money to Ireland from Bosnia and Herzegovina, the best option is a money transfer service like MoneyGram or WorldRemit instead of a bank. Try one of the following online transfer services:
- WorldRemit. This service offers quick, cheap transfers between Bosnia and Herzegovina and Ireland. You can finalise the transaction online or over the phone.
- Western Union. One of the most popular and widely available online transfer services, Western Union is one of the few transfer companies with pick-up locations in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Emergency cash transfers in Bosnia and Herzegovina
If you suffer a financial emergency while in Bosnia and Herzegovina, the quickest way to access funds is via online money transfer. Here’s how you could have money delivered in an emergency:
- Transfer service with pick-up locations. One way to quickly access money is through an online transfer companies like MoneyGram or Western Union.
- Travel insurance. Depending on the type of emergency and whether or not you’re eligible for cover, you can make a claim on your travel insurance policy.
Cash pick-up locations in Bosnia and Herzegovina/ Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Western Union and MoneyGram are among the few that offer pick-up services in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Here are a few to keep in mind.
- Istocno Sarajevo
Stefana Nemanje Bb Istocno Sarajevo,
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm, Saturday 8am to 1pm
- Pavlovic International Bank
Nikole Tesle Bb Istocno Sarajevo 71123
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm, Saturday 8am to 12pm
- Poste Srpske
Kralja Petra I Karadjordjevica
Banja Luka, 78101
+387 051 211080
Open 7am to 8pm, Saturday 7am to 6pm
- Unicredit Bank
Poslovnica 1 U Banja Luci
Veselina Maslese 10
Banja Luka 78000
+387 36 356574
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday 8am to 12pm
- Nova Banka
+387 33 711 330
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm, Saturday 8am to 1pm
- Nova Banka
+387 33 277336
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday 8am to 1pm
- Nova Banka
Trg Republike Srpske 8
Banja Luka 78000
+387 51 329 472
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm
- HVB Central Profit Banka
Veselina Maslese 10
Banja Luka 78000
+387 51 224850
Open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, Saturday 9am to 1pm
Tips for picking up cash in Bosnia and Herzegovina
The influx of migrants may impact public transport systems and delays at borders. Go with your travelling partner or ask a local from your hotel to accompany you. Check the opening hours before you go so that you’re not left waiting outside.
What are the steps to send money to Bosnia and Herzegovina?
You can send money from Ireland to Bosnia and Herzegovina via online money transfer. MoneyGram, Western Union and WorldRemit are among the few that If you’re making a transfer for the first time, you’ll be asked to set up an account before the transfer can take place. Information required includes:
- Name and address
- Contact information
- Bank information
- Your recipient’s contact and bank information
Once you’ve requested the transfer, you’ll get a tracking number as a reference. The customer service staff will request this number should you have questions about your transaction.
More guides on Finder
How to transfer money online with your credit or debit card
Get tips on how to send money with your credit card to transfer funds overseas. Be aware of interest charges and cash advance fees.
Western Union vs MoneyGram
To find the best rate for your next money transfer, check out our comparison of the fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds of Western Union and MoneyGram.
AIB Current Accounts
An AIB current account gives you flexibility when it comes to managing your money. Find out how you can switch to AIB.
Western Union deals and coupons
Save money by finding Western Union promo codes and by comparing other money transfer services for your transfer.
Compare some of the best international money transfer services
Find out how to get the best rate and transfer fees on international money transfers.
Review: Remitly money transfers December 2021
Read our review of Remitly to discover why this fast, competitive option may be the best choice for your next international money transfer.
Best international money transfer apps
Compare popular money transfer apps to get the most out of your mobile international transfer.
Review: Azimo international money transfers
Our review of Azimo when looking into your overseas money transfer options
Review: PayPal’s international money transfers
PayPal allows you to send money to friends and family all around the world, read our review to learn more about this diverse service.
Ask an Expert