Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Bermuda
Take advantage of low fees and competitive exchange rates when sending money to Bermuda.
The tiny British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, located in the North Atlantic, boasts a subtropical climate and beautiful beaches that make it a hotspot for tourists. If you want to send money to Bermuda from Ireland, there are several ways you can do so.
From banks to specialist money transfer providers, it’s important that you compare the cost involved in sending funds overseas before you commit to a particular transfer option. Exchange rates and fees vary widely from one transfer company to the next, so you need to hunt around for the best possible deal.
Compare Money Transfer Services
Banks versus money transfer companies
Instead of shopping around for a more affordable deal, many people simply send money overseas via their bank – which is a big mistake. Banks offer some of the lowest exchange rates around on the international money transfer market, while they also regularly charge high fees on each transaction.
If you want to find a more cost-effective way to send a transfer, consider the services offered by dedicated online money transfer companies. Specialising in handling international transfers from Ireland to countries around the world, these companies offer far better exchange rates and more reasonable fees than the banks. In addition to saving you money, they also offer the convenience of fast and secure online transactions.Back to top
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Bermuda?
- Exchange rates. Look for a provider that regularly offers better exchange rates than its competitors, but watch out for providers who suck you in with great rates but then slug you with high transaction fees.
- Transfer fees. You’ll generally need to pay a transfer fee each time you send money overseas, so compare the fees and charges each company imposes per transaction. Some providers will even offer a fee-free threshold, which means you won’t have to pay any fee if you transfer more than a specified amount.
- Transfer methods. Some companies only offer online transfers while others will require you to visit a branch. Telephone transfers and mobile app transactions are also available.
- Options available. Forward contracts and limit orders are options offered by some providers to help you get a good exchange rate for your transaction. Some companies also offer the convenience of scheduling regular transfers in advance.
- Turnaround time. Some companies can get your funds to your beneficiary in around 10 minutes, while others will take several business days to process transfers.
- Pickup options. How will your beneficiary receive the funds: will they be deposited into his or her bank account or made available for collection from a cash pickup point?
- Customer service. Finally, make sure that the company you choose to handle your transaction has an excellent reputation for customer service. If you ever need a question answered, knowing that the help you need will be instantly available offers peace of mind.
How do I send money to Bermuda from Ireland?
- Specialist transfer companies. There are some specialist online money transfer companies that offer quick and easy transfers to Bermuda, but most will only allow you to send US Dollars rather than Bermudian dollars.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram are two companies that offer this service.
- Bank transfers. Speak to your bank about the possibility of sending an international transfer from your Irish account to an account with a bank in Bermuda.
- Interbank transfers. If you have an account with an international bank that also has branches in Bermuda, for example HSBC, you can often send fast and affordable transfers from Ireland to an account in Bermuda with the same bank.
- International cheques. A slower and often more expensive option is to post an international guaranteed cheque to your recipient in Bermuda.
How do I receive money from Bermuda in Ireland?
- Specialist transfer companies. It’s simple and quick to sign up for an account with a provider and receive transfers from all over the world.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Companies such as Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to collect cash from agent locations across Ireland.
- Bank transfers. Transfers from Bermudan banks to Irish banks are easy but may not be the most cost-effective option.
- Interbank transfers. International banks with branches in Bermuda and Ireland offer cheap intrabank transfers.
- International cheques. International guaranteed cheques are a secure transfer method but can be slow and expensive.
Emergency cash transfers in Bermuda
If you ever need to send an emergency cash transfer to Bermuda, watch out for any extra costs associated with the transaction. Urgent transfers regularly attract worse exchange rates and higher fees than ordinary transactions, so double check the full cost of your transfer before deciding on which provider you use. Taking a few extra moments to read the fine print can save you a whole lot of money.Back to top
Cash pickup locations in Bermuda/ Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Bermuda
Western Union and MoneyGram offer extensive worldwide transfer networks and both operate locations in Bermuda. You’ll see a list of some popular cash pickup locations in Bermuda below, but phone ahead to confirm locations and opening times before you visit. Photo ID and a transaction reference number will also be required when picking up funds.
Bermuda Financial Network Ltd
4th Floor British American Building 133 Front Street Hamilton, Pembroke HM12+441-2921799, open 8:30am to 6:30pm Monday to Friday, 12pm to 11pm Sunday
Bermuda Financial Network Ltd
66 Somerset RoadSandys, Sandys MA 01+441-29-21799, open 24/7
Bermuda Financial Network Ltd
7 Kings Square Towne Of St. George’s – St George’s, St George’s GE 05+4-41-2970070Open 24/7
Bermuda Direct Limited
47 Dundinald StHamilton, HM 174412322274, open 9am to 9pm Monday to Thursday, 9am to 6pm Friday, 9am to 3pm Saturday and 11am to 6pm Sunday
Church St, Washington MallHamilton, HM 114412928747, open Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm
61 Middle Road
Warwick, WK 054417032272 Open 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday
Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in Bermuda
If you’re picking up cash in Bermuda following a money transfer, make sure to exercise a few simple precautions to ensure the safety of yourself and your money. Avoid visiting any unsafe or high-crime areas and don’t carry large sums of money around in public. Keep your money hidden at all times and if possible, have a friend accompany you when you go to pick up the funds and provide an extra deterrent against thieves.
What are the steps to send money to Bermuda?
Although transfer processes differ between providers, you will generally need to do the following in order to send a transfer:
- Sign up for an account. Many providers offer a quick, free and simple online signup process. You will usually need to provide your name, contact details and bank account information.
- Enter transaction details. The next step is to provide information about how much money you’re sending, in which currency, and where you are transferring the funds to. You’ll also need to provide your recipient’s name and contact details.
- Finalise your transfer. You can then submit and pay for your transaction, and make sure you keep your receipt or reference number so you can monitor the progress of your transaction.
More guides on Finder
Neat Business review
Learn how Neat works in Ireland and what your business stand to gain with their e-payments platform.
WorldFirst World Account for online sellers
Read our guide to the WorldFirst World Account for online sellers, including info on supported currencies, fees and how to open an account.
TransferWise account for e-commerce sellers review
Receive payments in five local currencies and convert them to dozens of others using one account.
How to sell on Zazzle
If you want to start selling on Zazzle, check out our guide to setting up a store, creating products, promotions and marketing, and getting paid.
How to sell on Wish
All the essential info you need to know about selling (successfully) on Wish.com.
How to sell on Shopify
If you want to start selling on Shopify, find out how to set up your shop, price your products and attract customers in this handy guide.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here’s how we choose them.
Revolut Metal card review
Read our in-depth review of the Revolut Metal card – the benefits, the cost and everything you need to know.
How to sell on eBay (and make money)
The complete beginner’s guide to selling on eBay, including how to set up a store, eBay fees, shipping options and money-saving tips.
How to sell on Alibaba
If you’re thinking of selling on Alibaba, learn more about the marketplace’s fees, payment methods and shipping options in our detailed guide.
Ask an Expert