Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Singles Health Insurance
Get the most from your health insurance with singles options.
Whether it’s your first policy, or you’re looking to switch – there are plenty of choices when it comes to singles health insurance in Ireland.
Benefits you can choose from include private hospital treatment, dental and optical services along with a range of outpatient services and extras. What’s more, individual health insurance can ensure you get fast access to medical care. Let’s take a look.
How does singles health insurance work?
Under singles health insurance, you pay a monthly fee to your insurer: if you get sick and need a treatment which is named in your policy, your provider will pay out.
Some specific features to look out for in a policy include:
- Any policy have exclusions or benefit restrictions on treatments and services
- To what extent the policy reduces or eliminates out-of-pocket expense
- How the policy will add value with member discounts and incentives for signing up
How do you decide what kind of cover is right for you?
No matter your life stage, the right kind of health cover you need depends on your general health, your lifestyle, your income and your personal preferences. Some examples include the following:
- If you play contact sports or extreme sports, such as skiing or parasailing, your risk of injury will be higher. In this case, you may be able to claim for accident treatment with hospital cover and physical therapies with extras cover.
- If you have a physical condition such as poor eyesight or bad teeth, extras cover will be much more valuable to you. Depending on your level of cover, you may be able to claim for major dental procedures and eye therapy.
- If you are a full-time student, you may already be covered if your parents have a family health insurance policy in place.
Health insurance tips for singles
- Don’t be afraid to switch. If you find a better policy with another health fund, don’t be afraid to switch. In many cases, you can transfer your benefits and any waiting periods served to your new fund.
- Know what the excess is. Avoid policies that have both an excess and a co-payment, or you could be made to pay a lump sum on admission to hospital and then a further sum for every day you’re there.
- Don’t choose based on price alone. With health insurance for singles, you generally get the cover you pay for, so if it’s noticeably cheaper than other policies, chances are it doesn’t cover you to the same extent.
- Read and understand the policy document. This outlines the terms, conditions and any exclusions that apply to your policy. If you don’t read the fine print, you may get a nasty surprise later on if you ever need to make a claim.
What should I be looking for in a singles policy?
There are a number of reasons why you should take out private health cover you’re young and find the best health insurance for young singles.
It’s important for all Irish to choose a policy that is suited to their life stage. So if you’re a young and healthy single with no medical concerns, you may want to choose a policy that provides cover for the services you need and excludes the service you don’t use.
But how else can young singles benefit from having health insurance?
The main advantages of singles hospital insurance over the public system are that:
- You have the choice of your own doctor
- You can stay in a private room
- You may not have to join a public waiting list for some surgery
If you want access to extras that go further than in-patient care, you might choose a policy which offers a range of comprehensive services. These could include:
- Gym membership subsidies
- Remedial massage
There are a range of broader health programs available and these benefits differ from fund to fund, so make sure you review the policy before making a decision to make sure you’re getting the most out of your cover.
If you’re in the market for health insurance that covers someone other than yourself, you may want to look into child, family or joint insurance plans.
More guides on Finder
Corazon cryptocurrency hardware wallet – March 2021 review
Find out why the Corazon is the world’s most expensive cryptocurrency hardware wallet.
Investing in cannabis stocks in Ireland
Top stocks and ETFs to consider for those in Ireland who are ready to invest in cannabis.
Eason Black Friday sales 2021
Follow our handy tips and shop the Eason Black Friday sales event to stock up on books to start your own library without breaking the bank.
Dunnes Stores Black Friday sales 2021
Follow our handy tips and join the Dunnes Stores Black Friday frenzy sales event to bag plenty of bargains without blowing your budget.
Whistles discount codes and coupons March 2021 | 20% off everything
Cut costs on contemporary clothing for women by making the most of these Whistles discount codes.
Manuka Doctor discount codes and coupons March 2021: Extra 20% off squeezy Manuka
Grab a discount code and cut costs on honey-based skincare, supplements and more online at Manuka Doctor.
Where to buy alkaline water online in Ireland
For affordable prices and convenient shipping directly to your door buy online from these stores.
Saxo Markets Ireland Review
Saxo Markets offers different trading accounts in Ireland with varied pricing tiers to suit your investment needs.
Get the Label promo codes and coupons March 2021 | Extra 10% off sale
Get the Label has all your favourite brands at hugely discounted prices. There’s a lot to love at this onlline store.
How to sell on Instagram
Learn how to set up your shop and start selling on your Instagram posts and stories.