Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Singles Health Insurance
Get the best value from your health insurance with singles options.
Whether it’s your first policy, or you’re looking to switch – there are plenty of choices when it comes to singles health insurance in Ireland. After all, you only have to choose what’s right for you – not anybody else. This guide will help you do just that.
Benefits you can choose from include private hospital treatment, dental and optical services along with a range of outpatient services and extras. What’s more, individual health insurance can ensure you get fast access to medical care. Let’s take a look.
How does singles health insurance work?
Under singles health insurance, you pay a monthly fee to your insurer: if you get sick and need a treatment which is named in your policy, your provider will pay out.
Some specific features to look out for in a policy include:
- Any policy have exclusions or benefit restrictions on treatments and services
- To what extent the policy reduces or eliminates out-of-pocket expense
- How the policy will add value with member discounts and incentives for signing up
How do you decide what kind of cover is right for you?
No matter your life stage, the right kind of health cover you need depends on your general health, your lifestyle, your income and your personal preferences. Some examples include the following:
- If you play contact sports or extreme sports, such as skiing or parasailing, your risk of injury will be higher. In this case, you may be able to claim for accident treatment with hospital cover and physical therapies with extras cover.
- If you have a physical condition such as poor eyesight or bad teeth, extras cover will be much more valuable to you. Depending on your level of cover, you may be able to claim for major dental procedures and eye therapy. However, there are certain waiting periods attached to pre-existing conditions.
- If you are a full-time student, you may already be covered if your parents have a family health insurance policy in place.
Health insurance tips for singles
- Don’t be afraid to switch. If you find a better policy with another health fund, don’t be afraid to switch. In many cases, you can transfer your benefits and any waiting periods served to your new fund.
- Know what the excess is. Avoid policies that have both an excess and a co-payment, or you could be made to pay a lump sum on admission to hospital and then a further sum for every day you’re there.
- Don’t choose based on price alone. With health insurance for singles, you generally get the cover you pay for, so if it’s noticeably cheaper than other policies, chances are it doesn’t cover you to the same extent.
- Read and understand the policy document. This outlines the terms, conditions and any exclusions that apply to your policy. If you don’t read the fine print, you may get a nasty surprise later on if you ever need to make a claim.
- Think about your needs. Do you need high-level cover or just the bare basics? Figure out what you really want before jumping in.
- Look for deals. Lots of funds offer sign-up deals to new customers. This could score you a reduction on your premium, a few weeks’ free cover, or a decent gift card.
- Don’t be afraid to ask. If there’s anything you’re unsure of, get in touch with the health fund and ask.
What should I be looking for in a singles policy?
There are a number of reasons why you should take out private health cover you’re young and find the best health insurance for young singles.
It’s important for all Irish to choose a policy that is suited to their life stage. So if you’re a young and healthy single with no medical concerns, you may want to choose a policy that provides cover for the services you need and excludes the service you don’t use.
But how else can young singles benefit from having health insurance?
The main advantages of singles hospital insurance over the public system are that:
- You have the choice of your own doctor
- You can stay in a private room
- You may not have to join a public waiting list for some surgery
If you want access to extras that go further than in-patient care, you might choose a policy which offers a range of comprehensive services. These could include:
- Gym membership subsidies
- Remedial massage
There are a range of broader health programs available and these benefits differ from fund to fund, so make sure you review the policy before making a decision to make sure you’re getting the most out of your cover.
If you’re in the market for health insurance that covers someone other than yourself, you may want to look into child, family or joint insurance plans.
More guides on Finder
Using a debit card abroad
A debit card with little or no international transaction fees makes it a great option to use abroad. We look at the pros and cons of using a debit card abroad.
Where to buy bamboo clothing for any weather in Ireland 2021
What’s not to love about bamboo clothing – it’s natural, soft and crease-resistant. Try bamboo fashions from these stores!
Where to buy reusable shopping bags 2021
Plastics make up 20% of household waste in Ireland. You can help your environment with reusable shopping bags and save money too.
Where to buy brow kits online in Ireland 2021
For a great range of brow kits, shop from these sellers and save with our list of discount and coupon codes.
Top 6 sites to buy bamboo pillows online 2021
Bamboo pillows are natural, vegan and super comfy. Most have memory capabilities and they are super hygienic. Try them today!
Where to buy bamboo socks online in Ireland 2021
Bamboo is a breathable natural fabric that is absorbent and super comfy to wear. Try great bamboo socks from these stores!
SportsShoes discount codes and coupons July 2021 | 10% off student discount
Treat your shoedrobe to some seriously stylish sneakers and see how much you could save with one of these active SportsShoes discount codes.
What is Yearn Finance?
Learn how to use DeFi aggregator Yearn Finance to earn interest on your cryptocurrency.
Top sites to buy shea butter online 2021
Get softer skin for less by scoring a discount on shea butter at these leading online stores.
Investing in cannabis stocks in Ireland
Top stocks and ETFs to consider for those in Ireland who are ready to invest in cannabis.