Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Family health insurance
Protect the health of the ones you love.
Whether you’re looking to start a family or already have some toddlers or teens, there’s no more important thing than safeguarding the health of you and your family. There’s a lot to think about when comparing your options for family health insurance. Read on for the key points.
Why should I think about family health insurance?
A family policy can bring peace of mind that your family will be covered for a wide range of treatments, including at specialist or high-tech hospitals. If you add your partner and your children on to your individual policy, they’ll all be covered under a single umbrella policy. This could save you a few euros when compared to the cost of buying individual cover for each member of your family.
Having health insurance can also offer the following benefits:
- Quicker diagnosis and treatment
- Shorter waiting periods
- Better facilities, which may include a private room
What should I look out for in a policy?
Health insurance policies vary a lot and it’s no different for family plans. Generally speaking, a policy should include:
- In-patient treatment multiple hospitals and scan centres
- Outpatient treatment and consultations
- Flexibility to choose extras like physiotherapy, dental care, psychology, and more.
When comparing family health insurance, keep in mind the sort of care you’re most likely to need – if you have young children, then you may want to get a plan with comprehensive dental cover.
How long can children remain on a family policy?
Your children can be covered under your policy until they are considered adults by your health fund. The rules around dependants vary between funds, so do check each policy. Any independent adults won’t be covered by a family policy and will need to take out their own cover.
Health insurance tips for families
- Review your cover. As your children grow up and your circumstances change, so do your health insurance needs. Reviewing your policy each year ensures that you’re being covered for the things that matter most to your family.
- Avoid combined limits. When considering an extras policy, try and find one that offers individual benefit limits for each service rather than overall combined limits. Your family may exceed individual limits if they aren’t high enough.
- Don’t be afraid to switch. If you find a better policy offered by a different health fund, then consider changing. Before you do, make sure that any benefits and any served waiting periods will be honoured by your new fund.
- Split your cover. If one health fund has your ideal hospital policy, and another has a great extras policy, see if you can have a separate policy for each.
What isn’t covered under health insurance?
There are some common policy exclusions when it comes to health insurance. Generally you would not receive cover for the following:
- Chronic conditions. Health insurance doesn’t cover conditions that are long term or can’t be cured, for example asthma or diabetes.
- Pre-existing conditions. Your health insurance won’t cover you for conditions that you had previously developed before your policy began. If you shop around you may be be able to find cover if you pay an extra premium or if you meet specific criteria.
- Organ transplants. You’re not likely to find health insurance cover for organ transplants.
- Cosmetic surgery to improve your appearance. This is also not something that health insurance usually covers, however many insurers will pay for ‘eligible’ surgery required to restore appearance following an accident or cancer surgery.
There will be other exclusions so make sure you read and understand your policy document before signing up to any insurance.
Will my health insurance cover me while I’m abroad?
It’s uncommon for health insurance to cover you both at home and abroad – it’s likely that you’ll need two separate policies for this. Many travel insurance providers also offer medical cover for your trip overseas, for example.
How can I cut the cost of health insurance?
You may be able to choose a higher excess. This will make your premium lower, but be careful as it will make claiming on your policy more expensive. You could also get cheaper cover by reducing your choice of nominated hospitals, or selecting fewer benefits. But keep in mind that having the right cover in place for you and your family is more important than price alone.
More guides on Finder
The next GameStop? Here are the 10 most heavily shorted stocks
Buying shorted stocks can pay off. Here are the 10 most heavily shorted stocks.
Stührling discount codes and coupons March 2021 | FREE shipping for orders over $350
Stührling watches are an affordable luxury. These beautiful timepieces will turn heads while keeping you on time.
Natural Collection discount codes and coupons March 2021
Purchase high-quality fair trade, organic and eco-friendly products for you and your family at Natural Collection.
Where to buy sulphate free shampoo
Sulphate free shampoos will have your hair looking sleek and shiny, and you are helping your health and the enviornment.
The best TV shows to stream on Amazon Prime Video Ireland March 2021
Rejoice binge-watchers! Prime Video is pumping out some top-shelf original television shows so we’ve listed the best of the best here.
Revolut Premium vs Revolut Standard
We compare Revolut Standard and Revolut Premium side by side to help you decide which account is right for you.
Where to buy Halloween costumes online in 2021
Halloween is a time of all types of scary creatures as well as some rather cute ones. Get ready with costumes from these stores.
Avast Software discount codes and coupons March 2021: FREE antivirus
Providing safety and privacy for all, protect your computer and keep your information private when your purchase from Avast Software.
Where to buy Tommy Hilfiger fashion online in Ireland
If you love Tommy Hilfiger, you can purchase at these stores without it breaking the bank. Save with our discount codes.
Where to buy rice cookers online in Ireland
Make cooking rice easy and hassle-free when you purchase a rice cooker today.