Funeral insurance in Ireland
This type of cover can help your family during a difficult time.
Funeral insurance provides a nominated person (e.g. your spouse) with the financial ability to cover your funeral expenses when you are no longer around. Read on to find out what you need to know about covering the costs of your service.
What is funeral insurance?
Funeral insurance can give your family a lump sum to cover the costs of your funeral after you die. It can also help take care of some of the arrangements of the service, which can help to ease some of the significant stress for your loved ones. What’s covered by funeral insurance varies a lot among providers and policies. So it’s very important that you read and understand fully the terms of your policy before you buy, to avoid passing any extra costs to your loved ones.
How can I meet the cost of a funeral?
You can use the following methods to cover your funeral expenses:
- Saving for a funeral. One way is to open a high-interest savings account and contribute a small amount on a regular basis. If you tell a close friend or loved one about the account, the money for your funeral will be there when they need to pay for a funeral plan directly with a funeral director.
- Pre-paid funeral plan. You can arrange this with your local funeral director and you will need to pay a little each month – or as a lump sum – until your funeral is covered. This will also allow you to make your preferred arrangements, so you’ll have the funeral you want when you die.
- Funeral insurance. This involves taking out a policy and paying regular premiums to maintain your cover. While some policies could cost you more than the cost of a funeral over time, if you look for an insurer who offers capped premiums and a pay-out guarantee, you will only pay the amount you want. Capped premiums mean that once you reach your chosen benefit amount, cover continues without the need for further payments.
- Life insurance. Funeral costs could be met through a pay-out from some types of life insurance policy.
When will – and when won’t – my family receive a payout?
Some criteria you’ll need to meet includes:
- Passing away or developing a terminal illness
- The death or illness not happening in the first 12 months of holding a policy.
- The cause of your death or illness being accidental (if in the first 12 months)
Why might I take out funeral insurance?
Funeral insurance is important to ensure your loved ones are not left with a financial burden when you die. Most funeral insurance plans in Ireland offer a number of benefits as standard. These could include:
- 1. Fast, simple application process. Funeral insurance is designed to be straightforward so you can apply quickly.
- 2. Flexibility in the way you pay. Funeral insurance offers features that can help you control how much you’ll pay for your insurance and how you will pay.
- 3. Payout benefits. Funeral insurance offers various benefits in the way it pays out to your family.
- 4. Features that look out for you. Many funeral insurance policies now have certain features to help you get the most value out of your policy and protect your from being ripped off.
What expenses can funeral insurance cover?
Funeral insurance is designed to provide your dependants with a lump sum payment in the event of your death. This payment can be used to cover the different types of funeral costs, including:
- Caskets and urns.
- Funeral home service costs, including the venue hire, director fees, dressing and embalming.
- Transportation for close family members.
- Other wake service costs, such as food and drinks.
What happens if I can’t pay for my funeral?
A funeral can cost anywhere from around €3,000 to significantly more, and if you die unexpectedly without some means of paying for your own funeral, your dependants or relatives will be left with the cost. Your family will need to pay this money upfront, so even if you have a death benefit in your super, it could take some time for it to be released, leaving your loved ones with an immediate bill of thousands of euros.
If you think you’ll struggle to pay for the funeral, your Department of Social Protection’s representative at your local health centre may be able to help with an Exceptional Needs Payment.
More guides on Finder
Manuka Doctor discount codes and coupons October 2020: Extra 20% off squeezy Manuka
Grab a discount code and cut costs on honey-based skincare, supplements and more online at Manuka Doctor.
Simply Supplements discount codes October 2020 | Up to 50% off sale
Grab a discount code and cut costs on dietary and immune system-boosting supplements online at Simply Supplements.
Revolut Premium vs Revolut Standard
We compare Revolut Standard and Revolut Premium side by side to help you decide which account is right for you.
Tails discount codes and coupons October 2020
Pick up nutritious and delicious tailor-made dog food for less with a Tails discount code.
Switching banks in Ireland
Fancy switching banks? Let your new bank help you make the switch to a new bank account.
Namecheap discount codes and coupons October 2020 | Up to 100% off your subscription
Get your dream domain name at Namecheap. It offers easy to use, affordable domain name hosting.
InMotion promo codes October 2020: Get 33% off
Grab a promo code and cut costs on innovative web hosting solutions at InMotion today.
Where to buy unisex clothing online in Ireland
Fashion is fun and can be enjoyed by everyone. Get clothing to suit men, women and children at these great stores.
Karen Millen discount codes and coupons October 2020 | Extra 10% off A/W styles + 25% off everything
Pick up fierce feminine fashion for less with a Karen Millen discount code.
Where to buy Tommy Hilfiger fashion online in Ireland
If you love Tommy Hilfiger, you can purchase at these stores without it breaking the bank. Save with our discount codes.