Compare platinum, gold and black credit cards
From higher points per dollar earn rates and airline lounge passes to sky-high credit limits, reward your spending with exclusive benefits when you use a premium credit card.
Platinum, gold and black credit cards are premium credit card options that offer a range of exclusive benefits. Designed for people who spend a lot of money on their credit card, these cards are a step up from standard offers, with features such as higher credit limits, more reward points per dollar spent and a wide range of complimentary extras.
However, along with the perks and prestige, platinum, gold and black credit cards often have annual fees and interest rates that are much higher than standard credit card options.
In our guide, we look at both the benefits and costs of these three premium choices so that you can find the credit card that’s right for your needs.
What’s the difference between platinum, gold and black credit cards?
While platinum, gold and black credit cards are all premium options, each represents a different level of status and service. Gold credit cards are a step up from standard cards, platinum credit cards are above gold, while black credit cards sit at the top of the pack and tend to be unobtainable for most consumers in (due to incredibly high spend and income requirements).
Gold credit cards
Gold credit cards are considered the “entry level” option for premium credit cards and are designed to suit people who are interested in getting more features and benefits, but who don’t want to pay much more in annual fees than they would for a standard credit card. Some of the features of gold credit cards include:
Features of a Gold credit card
- Complimentary travel insurance
- Complimentary purchase protection insurance
- More reward points per dollar than standard cards
- Higher point caps than standard cards
- Annual fees ranging from $0 to $180 (with first year rebate offers)
- Minimum credit limits starting from $4,000
Gold credit cards have slightly higher income and credit history requirements than standard cards – but not as high as those for platinum or black credit cards.
Platinum credit cards
Platinum credit cards build on the benefits offered by gold credit cards by providing a wider range of features with more flexibility. They are designed for people who regularly pay with their credit cards, and want to be rewarded for it in a variety of different ways. Some of the features of platinum credit cards include:
The features you can expect from a Platinum credit card
- Complimentary international travel insurance with broader coverage, such as car rental insurance
- Complimentary purchase protection insurance
- More reward points per dollar spent than gold cards and higher reward points caps
- Personal concierge services
- Much higher credit limits
- Annual fees ranging from $0 to $700
Some platinum credit cards may also provide other spending benefits for customers, including no international transaction fees for purchases made overseas or online with an international retailer..
The minimum income requirements for platinum credit cards also tend to be higher in comparison to gold cards. While some platinum options have minimum income requirements as low as $30,000, most are around $40,000 and higher.
Black credit cards
Black credit cards are considered the ultimate in premium credit cards, with the highest level of service and the widest range of benefits. Getting a black credit card is very difficult: you typically have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars a year on plastic and have an income to match. To provide an example, one of the best known black credit cards is the American Express Centurion. Just to get an invitation to apply for this card, you’ll need to spend upwards of US$250,000 a year on your current Amex card.
Some of the features of black credit cards include:
- The highest number of points per dollar for reward programs
- Complimentary airport transfers
- Flight upgrades
- Dedicated travel booking services
- A personal concierge service
- A personal shopper
- Invitations to exclusive events or promotions
- Higher credit limits (sometimes up to $50,000 or higher)
- Annual fees ranging from $349 to $700
Black credit cards are designed for high earners and big spenders who pay with plastic very regularly. As such, the minimum income requirements for these cards is usually into the hundreds of thousands a year. You also typically need an excellent credit history to get a black credit card.
How to choose a platinum, gold or black credit card
The benefits of a platinum, gold or black credit card are only worth it if they offer more value than the costs that come from any interest charges or annual fees. Asking the following questions before choosing which type of card to get will help you find options that work for you.
- How often do you use your credit card? Premium gold, platinum and black credit cards are designed for people who regularly use a credit card, and their annual fees and credit limits reflect that. Many of the complimentary extras available on these cards, such as travel insurance, also require you to pay with your credit card in order to activate them. If you don’t use a credit card very often, you might want to consider a low rate or no annual fee option instead.
- How much do you spend on your credit card? If you’re considering a rewards option, you should make sure the value of the points you earn outweighs the cost of the annual fee. For more information, check out our guide on calculating the value of rewards points.
- How much money do you earn? Platinum and black credit cards typically have higher minimum income requirements than standard credit cards. Gold cards have generally low income requirements, however you should still consider the need to pay for a card if you can’t reap its benefits.
- How many premium card features will you actually use? Complimentary extras can help offset the cost of a credit card, but only if you use them. When considering different cards, make sure you’re realistic about which benefits you will use so that you can find a card that provides value based on your spending habits and circumstances.
- Do you carry a credit card balance? Some gold, platinum and black credit cards have standard interest rates. This means you could end up paying hundreds of dollars in interest every year when you carry a balance on one of these cards. If you don’t pay your account off in full each month, you may want to consider a premium credit card that has a low ongoing interest rate. Find low interest rate cards in our guide.
- Do you have an excellent credit history and credit score? These credit cards all require good to excellent credit history. If you have marks on your credit file, such as late payments or defaults, you may not be eligible to apply for a gold, platinum or black credit card.
Frequently asked questions about gold, platinum and black credit cards
More guides on Finder
Dunnes Stores Black Friday sales 2020
Follow our handy tips and join the Dunnes Stores Black Friday frenzy sales event to bag plenty of bargains without blowing your budget.
Zara Black Friday sales 2020
Follow our handy tips and shop the Zara Black Friday sales event to reboot your wardrobe without breaking the bank.
How to sell on Bonanza
Read our beginner’s guide to selling on Bonanza, including fees, shipping, payment options, frequently asked questions and more.
How to sell on Alibaba
If you’re thinking of selling on Alibaba, learn more about the marketplace’s fees, payment methods and shipping options in our detailed guide.
What are blue chip stocks?
Here’s what a blue chip stock is, including examples, as well as what makes it attractive to investors and how to buy and sell them.
Fee-free transfers within the SEPA, an easy online application and 24/7 customer service are some of the benefits of choosing VIABUY.
What should I do with my credit card rewards during coronavirus?
Different scenarios call for different types of action. Here’s what you need to know about managing your credit card rewards.
Avantcard One credit card review
Get three 0% offers when you open an account with Avantcard One.
Compare jet ski loans
Get the financing you need to buy a cool jet ski and enjoy this water sport.
0% Foreign Fees Credit Cards
Enjoy convenient and low cost access to funds for overseas spending by comparing credit cards with no foreign transaction fees and no currency conversion fees.
Ask an Expert