Compare AIB credit cards
Enjoy low interest rates and a range of perks with AIB.
With more than 200 branches across the country, AIB has a big footprint in Ireland in addition to operations in the UK and the United States. The Dublin-based bank, which was formed in 1966, has a total of four credit cards to compare.
This review looks at the unique features of each AIB credit card, eligibility requirements and some common questions you might have before you apply.
Finder does not currently have access to this credit card provider. Please review the product details, application criteria and terms and conditions on the provider website if you are considering applying for this product.
What credit cards are available with AIB?
- CLICK Visa Card
With this card, you’ll get a super low annual interest rate of 9.11% (13.8% APR) on purchases. This can be useful if you find that you often need to pay for unexpected items.
- ‘be’ Visa/Mastercard
One benefit of choosing a ‘be’ Visa/Mastercard is that you’ll get an excellent rate of 3.83% on purchases and balance transfers for the first 12 months of your account. If you spend over €5,000 in 12 months during a typical year, you’ll get an annual interest rate of 14.16%. Keep in mind that this card’s APR rate is 22.9%.
- AIB Platinum Visa Card
This card also comes with a special introductory interest rate of 3.83% on purchases and balance transfers for your first 12 months. Its regular annual interest rate – of 11.84% – is appealing, while its typical APR is 17%. The AIB Platinum Visa Card also comes with a range of rewards, including cashback and a luxury hotel booking service.
- Student Visa Card
This card could be convenient during your busy student days offering a competitive 3.8% interest rate on purchases for the first 12 months. Its typical rate of interest is 14.85% (20.5% APR).
What are the benefits of banking with AIB?
From introductory offers to low annual interest rates, there are a range of benefits which differentiate AIB from other credit card providers on the market. Some benefits of choosing AIB include:
- Up to 56 days of interest-free credit – if you pay your outstanding balance in full and on time each month, you can avoid paying interest
- No annual fee – although the Irish government charges stamp duty of €30 per year on all credit card accounts
- Free second card – add a family member in your household as an additional cardholder (not available with the Student Visa Card)
- Google Pay and Apple Pay payments are accepted
- Customer service is available via phone, 24/7 in Ireland or abroad
- Verified by Visa gives another layer of security and more peace of mind
- AIB may be able to issue you with emergency cash within 48 hours if your credit card is lost or stolen while you’re abroad
Additionally, AIB lets you earn cashback as you spend through its AIB’s Everyday Rewards programme. By signing up via email, you’ll be sent two personalised offers each week. For any reward you accrue, you’ll get money paid straight to your registered card and this is typically completed within five business days. For Mastercard accounts a further perk is its Priceless Cities initiative, which offers exclusive travel experiences, bookings and discounts.
How to apply for an AIB credit card
Existing AIB customers can apply for a credit card via Internet Banking, with the exception of the Student Visa Card (in this case you’ll need to call AIB on 1890 724 724, or visit a branch). After signing up to an AIB credit card, you’ll have the chance to manage your account online via eStatements.
- AIB credit card applicants must be at least 18 years old
- To be eligible for the CLICK Visa Card or the ‘be’ Visa/Mastercard, you’ll need a salary of at least €16,000; for the Platinum Visa Card the minimum salary is €40,000
- To be eligible for the Student Visa Card, you’ll need to have an AIB Student Plus account. You’ll also need to have held a bank account for at least three months
Non-AIB Customers or AIB Customers without Internet Banking can apply via phone on 1890 724 724. You can also go online and request a ‘Call Me Back’ from a customer service representative. Alternatively, pay a visit to your local branch. If you already have a credit card with AIB and you’re looking to switch to another product, you’ll also need to call AIB on 1890 724 724.
To verify your identity you’ll need:
- Proof of Identity: a valid passport, driver’s licence or EU National Identity Card
- Proof of address: typically, a utility bill and bank statement from the last six months
- Legally, AIB needs to collect and verify your Personal Public Service Number (PPSN) or Tax Reference Number (TRN). You can provide this either via an original copy or an electronic version (for example, a PDF or photo)
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert