Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to invest in the BTCC Bitcoin ETF in Ireland
To buy ETF units in BTCC, you'll first need to sign up to a broker with access to the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The “world’s first” physical Bitcoin exchange-traded fund (ETF), the Purpose Bitcoin ETF (TSX:BTCC), has officially launched on Canada’s Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX). This means that investors in Ireland can now buy units in the ETF through a global stockbroker or online share trading platform.
While this is simple enough if you’re Canadian, Irish traders wanting to invest in BTCC will need to a do a little homework. There are limited brokers that offer Canadian stocks or ETFs in Ireland and often the fees to invest are much higher than if you’re buying Ireland securities.
One online broker that offers $0 brokerage trades on Canadian securities is Degiro. Other brokers include Saxo Capital Markets and Interactive Brokers. You can check out how other brokers compare in the comparison table below.
How to buy the BTCC ETF
- Compare online brokers. To invest in Canadian exchange-traded funds (ETFs) from Ireland, you’ll need to sign up to an ETF broker platform with access to Canadian stock exchanges. Our table below can help you choose.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, such as your ID number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, PayPal or debit card.
- Search for the Purpose Bitcoin ETF. Find the ETF by name or ticker symbol: BTCC. Research its history to confirm it’s a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until the Purpose Bitcoin ETF reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At today’s price, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market’s ups and downs.
- Check on your investment. Congratulations, you’ve invested in the Purpose Bitcoin ETF. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your ETF performs with an eye on the long term.
What we know about BTCC
The Purpose Bitcoin ETF began trading on Thursday in Canada under the ticker symbols TSX:BTCC.B and TSX:BTCC.U. The BTCC.B fund is Canadian dollar-denominated while the TSX:BTCC.U version is US dollar-denominated. Neither option is currency hedged.
Launched by Purpose Investments and headed by CEO/founder Som Seif, the fund is designed to give investors exposure to the digital currency by investing in physically settled Bitcoin.
Although it has been called “the world’s first Bitcoin ETF” by the TSX, it’s worth noting that other “Bitcoin-themed” or blockchain ETFs do exist, although they track companies with exposure to digital currencies, rather than physical/digital Bitcoin. BTCC is the first direct custody Bitcoin ETF.
There are also several cryptocurrency funds available in Europe that behave similarly to ETFs. To check out other Bitcoin-related ETFs, check out our cryptocurrency ETF guide.
At the time of writing, there are no cryptocurrency ETFs listed on Euronext Dublin. However, investors in Ireland can access cryptocurrency ETFs through providers like Coinbase.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How to invest in ETFs
To find out more about ETFs, you can head to our guide on how to invest in exchange traded funds.
More guides on Finder
Zacks Trade Ireland review
What to expect when you sign up for a Zacks Trade brokerage account.
How to invest €10k in Ireland
Grow your wealth with a variety of investment strategies for €10,000.
How to find trending stocks on Reddit
Here’s how investors in Ireland can find trending Reddit stocks.
Invest in renewable energy stocks
As the demand for sustainable energy sources rises, renewable energy production is booming. Here’s a guide to investing in renewable energy stocks.
Alternatives to Robinhood in Ireland
Robinhood isn’t available in Ireland but we have 5 low-cost alternatives to trade US stocks.
How to invest money
Learn the basics of what it takes for novices to get started in the investment world, including an overview of your options and what to watch out for.
AvaTrade review: Forex, and CFD broker
Read our AvaTrade review to find out if its right for your trading needs and the simple steps you can take to sign up for an account.
How to buy N/A (N/A) stocks in Ireland
Steps to owning and managing N/A, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Valkyrie Bitcoin Strategy ETF (BTF) from Ireland
The second Bitcoin future ETF is set to go live Oct. 22. Here’s how to invest if you’re in Ireland
How to buy BITO ETF units | $27.17
ProShares Bitcoin Strategy ETF is the first fund tied to the value of a cryptocurrency to trade on the major U.S. markets. Here’s how to invest if you’re from Ireland.
Ask an Expert