bunq review Ireland
A feature-packed bank account that lets you save money, help the environment and more.
bunq is a mobile bank account that offers a number of convenient features. You can open multiple bank accounts with unique IBANs, the bunq app is available in six languages and you can earn interest on funds you hold in your account. Plus, you get the security features and low fees you expect from a digital bank. In this review of bunq for Ireland we break down exactly what you can expect from a bunq account so you can decide if it’s right for you.
Currency conversion fee
How does bunq work in Ireland?
With bunq, everything you do is handled on the app and there are no physical branches. bunq offers three types of accounts: Easy Bank, Easy Money and Easy Green.
The most affordable plan, Easy Bank, comes with a monthly maintenance fee of €2.99. For Easy Money, you’ll pay €8.99 a month or €17.99 a month for Easy Green.
bunq offers a number of features with all of its accounts. Both the Easy Money and Easy Green accounts allow you to set up 25 individual IBAN accounts to manage your money. In the app, you’ll be able to use budgeting tools, set up savings goals, use a personal payment link to get paid easily by friends and get free ATM withdrawals when you travel overseas.
Key features of bunq
bunq offers a number of useful features with its accounts. These include:
- Access multiple accounts. With Easy Green and Easy Money, you can create up to 25 individual sub-accounts each with their own unique IBAN.
- MassInterest. You will earn interest for all funds you hold in your Easy Green and Easy Money accounts.
- No foreign currency fees. Save up to 3% on foreign currency spending with all bunq accounts.
- Spending insights. Find out where you’re spending with money analytics in the app.
- Mobile payments. You can use Google Pay and Apple Pay with any bunq account.
- Free account top-ups. Reload your balance for free when you use iDeal, Sofort or a bank transfer.
- Money transfers abroad with Wise. bunq uses Wise rates for international money transfers.
- Notifications. Keep track of your spending with notifications.
- Card controls. You can easily lock and unlock your card in the bunq app if it’s lost or stolen.
- Hassle-free splitting. Manage group travel expenses through the bunq Splice Groups function.
- Travel assistant. You can use the travel assistant in the bunq app so you can get help spending in another currency.
- Trees for minors. For users under 18 years old, a tree will be planted for every €100 spent on their bunq cards.
How do the bunq accounts work?
bunq offers three different accounts for personal use, each with its own distinct features and fees. Here’s what you need to know:
Fees and rates
There are some different costs, fees and limits to consider when you choose a personal account with bunq:
- Monthly fee. You will pay €0 fee for Easy Bank, a €8.99 monthly fee for Easy Money and a €17.99 monthly fee for Easy Green.
- ATM fees. Easy Money and Easy Green users are entitled to four fee-free withdrawals per month. The next 5 withdrawals (which is also the first 5 withdrawals for Easy Bank users) will cost €2.99. Subsequently, all withdrawals will cost €2.99.
- Currency conversion. There is a 0% foreign currency conversion fee for all bunq accounts.
- Top ups. It’s free to top up your account with iDEAL, SOFORT or Bancontact, but you will be charged 0.5% if topping up with a debit or credit card. The first €500 topped up is free for all bunq users.
bunq offers innovative accounts for those looking for different features from their bank. You can benefit from features that come standard with digital banks such as budgeting options and security tools, but you also get extra features such as the option of multiple bank accounts and hassle-free bill splitting. While these are great features, make sure you are going to use and benefit from them before you sign up as there is no free bank account option.
How to sign up
You can open an account if you reside in the EU and are over the age of 18. If you’re under 18, you will need permission from a parent or guardian. To sign up, click “Go to Site” to be securely directed to bunq’s website. You will need to provide some personal information such as your name and address as well as verify your identity in the app.
Compare a range of digital banks in Ireland
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.