bunq review Ireland
A feature-packed bank account that lets you save money, help the environment and more.
bunq is a mobile bank account that offers a number of convenient features. You can open multiple bank accounts with unique IBANs, the bunq app is available in 6 languages and you can earn interest on funds you hold in your account. Plus, you get the security features and benefits you expect from a digital bank. In this review of bunq, we break down what you can expect from a bunq account to help you can decide if it’s right for you.
Currency conversion fee
|Product Name||bunq Easy Money Personal|
|Card delivery||Up to 10 working days|
|Free ATM withdrawal limit||4 withdrawals per month|
|ATM transaction fee||€2.99 per withdrawal|
|ATM transaction fee - non-Euro||€2.99|
|Currency conversion fee||0%|
How does bunq work?
With bunq, there are no physical branches so everything you do is handled on the bunq app. bunq offers 3 types of bank accounts and one savings account: Easy Bank, Easy Money, Easy Green and Easy Savings.
The most affordable plan, Easy Bank, comes with a monthly maintenance fee of €2.99. For Easy Money, you’ll pay €8.99 a month and Easy Green will set you back €17.99 a month. The bunq Easy Savings account has zero fees and pays 0.09% interest on the balance every month.
bunq offers a number of features with all of its bank accounts. Both the Easy Money and Easy Green accounts allow you to set up 25 individual IBAN accounts to manage your money, a metal card and up to 4 free ATM withdrawals each month. In the app, you’ll be able to use budgeting tools, set up savings goals and use a personal payment link to get paid easily by friends.
Key features of bunq
bunq offers a number of useful features with its accounts. These include:
- Access multiple accounts. With Easy Green and Easy Money, you can create up to 25 individual sub-accounts each with unique IBANs.
- MassInterest. You will earn 0.09%interest for all funds you hold in your Easy Green and Easy Money accounts.
- No foreign currency fees. Save up to 3% on foreign currency spending with the Easy Green and Easy Money accounts.
- Spending insights. Find out where you’re spending with money analytics in the app.
- Mobile payments. You can use Google Pay and Apple Pay with any bunq account.
- Free account top-ups. Reload your balance for free when you use iDeal, Sofort or a bank transfer.
- Money transfers abroad with Wise. bunq uses Wise rates for international money transfers.
- Notifications. Keep track of your spending with notifications.
- Card controls. You can easily lock and unlock your card in the bunq app if it’s lost or stolen.
- Hassle-free splitting. Manage group travel expenses through the bunq Receipt Splitter tool.
- Travel assistant. You can use the travel assistant in the bunq app so you can get help spending in another currency.
- Trees for minors. For users under 18 years old, a tree will be planted for every €100 spent on their bunq cards.
- Savings account. Open the bunq Easy Savings account in minutes and earn up to 0.09% on your balance each month. There are no fees and you can access your money whenever you need it.
- Become a Jackpot winner. Every month, bunq offers account holders 3 chances to win €10,000 by topping up the account, making a payment or by referring a friend.
What are the account options?
bunq offers 3 different bank accounts and a savings account for personal use, each with its own distinct features and fees. Here’s what you need to know:
There are some different costs, fees and limits to consider when you choose a personal account with bunq:
- Monthly fee. You will pay €2.99 fee for Easy Bank, a €8.99 monthly fee for Easy Money and a €17.99 monthly fee for Easy Green.
- ATM fees. Easy Money and Easy Green users are entitled to 4 fee-free withdrawals within Europe per month. The next 5 withdrawals (which is also the first 5 withdrawals for Easy Bank users) will cost €2.99. Subsequently, all withdrawals will cost €2.99.
- Currency conversion. There is a 0% foreign currency conversion fee for all bunq accounts.
- Top ups. It’s free to top up your account with iDEAL, SOFORT or Bancontact, but you will be charged 0.5% if topping up with a debit or credit card. The first €500 topped up is free for all bunq users.
Pros and cons
- Quick to join. Easy sign-up process
- Low-cost money transfers. bunq helps you send money around the globe through its partnership with Wise.
- Joint accounts. bunq supports joint accounts.
- Savings account. Open a savings account with bunq and earn up to 0.09% interest on your balance.
- No free bank accounts. bunq doesn’t offer a free basic account like other challenger banks.
- Euro only accounts. bunq currently only offers euro accounts.
bunq offers innovative accounts for those looking for different features from their bank. You can benefit from features that come standard with digital banks such as budgeting options and security tools, plus you get extra features such as the option of multiple bank accounts and hassle-free bill splitting. There’s also a separate savings account where you can earn up to 0.09% on your balance, paid monthly. While these are great features, make sure you are going to use and benefit from them before you sign up as there is no free bank account option.
Experiences from other bunq usersbunq scores 2.7 out of 5 based on 2,980+ reviews and is rated Poor on Trustpilot.
|User ratings||# of reviews||What do customers say|
|2.7 / 5||2,980+|
*Note: The information provided is based on the reviews and rating on Trustpilot (18 July 2022).
How to apply
You can open an account if you reside in the EU and are over the age of 18. If you’re under 18, you will need permission from a parent or guardian. To sign up, click “Go to Site” to be securely directed to bunq’s website. You will need to provide some personal information such as your name and address as well as verify your identity in the app.