bunq review Ireland
A feature-packed bank account that lets you save money, help the environment and more.
bunq is a mobile bank account that offers a number of convenient features. You can open multiple bank accounts with unique IBANs, the bunq app is available in six languages and you can earn interest on funds you hold in your account. Plus, you get the security features and low fees you expect from a digital bank. In this review of bunq for Ireland we break down exactly what you can expect from a bunq account so you can decide if it’s right for you.
Currency conversion fee
|Product Name||bunq easyMoney Personal|
|Card delivery||Up to 10 working days|
|Free ATM withdrawal limit||10 withdrawals per month, after which a €0.99 fee applies|
|ATM transaction fee||€0.99 per withdrawal|
|ATM transaction fee - non-Euro||€0.99|
|Currency conversion fee||0%|
|Go to site|
How does bunq work in Ireland?
With bunq, everything you do is handled on the app and there are no physical branches. bunq offers three types of accounts: easyTravel (formerly Travel), easyMoney (formerly Premium) and easyGreen (formerly SuperGreen).
There’s no monthly maintenance fee for easyTravel but there is a one-off fee for the travel card, currently €9.99. For easyMoney, you’ll pay €7.99 a month or €16.99 a month for easyGreen.
bunq offers a number of features with all of its accounts. Both the easyMoney and easyGreen accounts allow you to set up 25 individual IBAN accounts to manage your money. In the app, you’ll be able to use budgeting tools, set up savings goals, use a personal payment link to get paid easily by friends and get free ATM withdrawals when you travel overseas. bunq’s highest tier account, easyGreen, also allows you to offset your Co2 emissions by planting trees on your behalf.
Key features of bunq
bunq offers a number of useful features with its accounts. These include:
- Access multiple accounts. With easyGreen and easyMoney, you can create up to 25 individual sub-accounts each with their own unique IBAN.
- MassInterest. You will earn interest for all funds you hold in your easyGreen and easyMoney accounts.
- Mobile payments. You can use Google Pay and Apple Pay with any bunq account.
- Spending notifications. Keep an eye on your money and spending with notifications.
- Card controls. You can easily lock and unlock your card in the bunq app if it’s lost or stolen.
- Spending insights. Find out where you’re spending with money analytics in the app.
- No foreign currency fees. Save up to 3% on foreign currency spending with all bunq accounts.
- Travel assistant. Get help when you’re abroad with the bunq travel assistant.
How do the bunq accounts work?
bunq offers three different accounts for personal use, each with its own distinct features and fees. Here’s what you need to know:
Fees and rates
There are some different costs, fees and limits to consider when you choose a personal account with bunq:
- Monthly fee. You will pay €2.99 fee for easyTravel, a €7.99 monthly fee for easyMoney and a €16.99 monthly fee for easyGreen.
- Card fee. You will pay a one-off card fee of €9.99 for the travel card.
- ATM fees. You’ll pay €0.99 to withdraw cash from ATMs with easyTravel. With the other two accounts you get 10 withdrawals per month, after which a €0.99 fee applies.
- bunq+1. You can add a person to your account with easyGreen and easyMoney for a cost of €2.99.
- Currency conversion. There is a 0% foreign currency conversion fee for all bunq accounts.
- Top ups. It’s free to top up your account with iDEAL, SOFORT or Bancontact, but you will be charged 0.5% if topping up with a debit or credit card. The first €500 topped up is free with easyGreen and easyMoney.
bunq offers innovative accounts for those looking for different features from their bank. You can benefit from features that come standard with digital banks such as budgeting options and security tools, but you also get extra features such as the option of multiple bank accounts and an eco-friendly account option that can help you become CO2 free. While these are great features, make sure you are going to use and benefit from them before you sign up as there is no free bank account option.
How to sign up
You can open an account if you reside in the EU and are over the age of 18. If you’re under 18, you will need permission from a parent or guardian. To sign up, click “Go to Site” to be securely directed to bunq’s website. You will need to provide some personal information such as your name and address as well as verify your identity in the app.