bunq business review Ireland
Make fast payments and earn interest on your funds with bunq.
bunq is a mobile-only bank offering customers a choice of personal, travel and business accounts along with multiple cards. Launched in 2015, the Dutch bank now operates in 30 countries across Europe – including Ireland.
In this review we take a look at the key points of bunq’s new simplified business accounts to help you decide if it could be right for your company.
€0.10 per payment
Currency conversion fee
How does bunq Business work?
bunq offers mobile-first accounts that are all managed via an app, which is accessible through your smartphone. It offers three accounts for businesses: easyMoney Business, easyGreen Business and easyTravel Business. All bunq Business accounts can link to your account management software for easy bookkeeping, lets you earn interest on money held in your account and gives you an overview of your business finances.
There are a number of useful features and benefits for each account that can suit small businesses, entrepreneurs and teams.
While features to the easyTravel Business are limited, bunq’s other two business accounts have a range of benefits and features. The easyGreen Business and easyMoney Business accounts come with the following features:
- Fast and easy sign-up process
- Earn 0.27% interest on the first €10,000 held in your accounts, which is paid monthly.
- 10 withdrawals per month fee-free anywhere in the world
- Send money overseas in non-Euro currencies via Wise
- Up to 25 free sub-accounts, each with its own IBAN so you can quickly organise your money. You can also access extra sub-accounts for an additional fee
- Three bank cards, including a Mastercard direct debit
- Get a free exclusive Metal card if you sign up and pay for 24 months upfront
- You can make contactless payments as well as pay with Apple Pay, Google Pay and FitBit Pay
- Make instant payments and easily organise batch payments
- Generate personalised payment links for people or companies who owe you money. They don’t need to be bunq customers.
- Bookkeeping and accounting apps to help automate your business finances, including VAT calculations
- Instant notifications to track each card payment, direct debit or other transaction
- Customer support via the app or email
- Easily add a person onto the account to create a bunq+1 joint account (for an additional fee)
- For every €100 that you spend through your easyGreen Business account, a tree will be planted
Fees and limits
There are a few different costs, fees and limits to consider when you choose a business account with bunq:
- Monthly fees. Each bunq Business account comes with a monthly fee. You will pay €2.99 per month for easyTravel Business, €9.99 per month for easyMoney Business and €19.99 for easyGreen Business.
- Extra sub-accounts. The easyGreen Business and easyMoney Business accounts come with 25 sub-accounts, but you can add 25 m0re for €19.
- Joint accounts. You can set your easyGreen Business and easyMoney Business up as a joint account for €2.99.
- Account top-up. You’ll be charged 0.5% to top up your account with a debit or credit card, but easyGreen Business and easyMoney Business account-holders receive the first €500 for top ups free.
- Foreign currency transfers through Wise. easyGreen Business and easyMoney Business users can send international money transfers through Wise (formerly TransferWise) for €0.10 per payment.
- Card fee. easyTravel users are charged a one-off card fee of €9.99.
- ATM withdrawals. There is an ATM withdrawal fee of €0.99, but easyGreen Business and easyMoney Business users receive 10 withdrawals per month before the fee is charged.
bunq certainly has the challenger spirit that is seen with many of the digital-only banks available in Ireland. One example of this is seen through the bank’s simplified easyGreen Business account (costing €19.99/month), an environmentally-friendly programme in which bunq plants a tree for every €100 spent. Another big positive is its range of financial tools and the ease at which transfers can be made Europe-wide.
However, if your business trades regularly with the UK then this business account may not be the best choice for you as there are fees for exchanging funds from euro to Pound sterling. So, before you settle on the question of where to do your business banking, you’ll want to compare plenty of other options on the market.
How to sign up
bunq says it takes as little as five minutes to sign up to their business account. To start, just click “Go to Site” from this page. You’ll simply need your phone, ID and details of your business. During a short verification process, you’ll typically have to take a photo of your photo ID and record a short video. After signing up, you can then add funds to your bunq account.
Your bunq card should arrive within 10 working days, which will give you full access to your business account.
Compare bunq Business with other digital banks for businesses in Ireland
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.