bunq business review Ireland
Make fast payments and earn interest on your funds with bunq.
bunq is a mobile-only bank offering both personal and business accounts along with multiple cards. Launched in 2012, the Dutch bank now operates in 30 countries across Europe – including Ireland.
In this review, we take a look at the key points of bunq’s new simplified business accounts to help you decide if it could be right for your company.
€0.10 per payment
Currency conversion fee
bunq Business was launched in 2015 and continues to position itself as “the bank of The Free.” We look into what bunq offers businesses to see if it meets your company’s requirements.
How does bunq Business work?
bunq offers mobile-first accounts that are all managed via an app, which is accessible through your smartphone. All bunq Business accounts can link to your account management software for easy bookkeeping, lets you earn interest on money held in your account and gives you an overview of your business finances. There are a number of useful benefits for each account that can suit small businesses, entrepreneurs and teams.
Is your business eligible for bunq Business?
To be eligible for bunq Business, you’ll need to have a verified personal bunq account. You must also permanently reside in the country where your business is registered. In this case, Ireland.
While features to Easy Bank Business are relatively limited, bunq’s other two business accounts have a range of benefits and features. The Easy Green Business and Easy Money Business accounts come with the following features:
- Fast and easy sign-up process
- Earn interest on the first €10,000 held in your accounts, which is paid monthly.
- 4 withdrawals per month fee-free anywhere in the world
- Send money overseas in non-Euro currencies via Wise
- Up to 25 free sub-accounts, each with its own IBAN so you can quickly organise your money. You can also access extra sub-accounts for an additional fee
- Three bank cards, including a Mastercard direct debit
- Get a free exclusive Metal card if you sign up and pay for 24 months upfront
- You can make contactless payments as well as pay with Apple Pay, Google Pay and FitBit Pay
- Make instant payments and easily organise batch payments
- Generate personalised payment links for people or companies who owe you money. They don’t need to be bunq customers.
- Bookkeeping and accounting apps to help automate your business finances, including VAT calculations
- Instant notifications to track each card payment, direct debit or other transaction
- Customer support via the app or email
- For every €100 that you spend through your Easy Green Business account, a tree will be planted
What are the account options for businesses?
bunq offers 3 accounts for businesses in Ireland:
Fees and limits
There are a few different costs, fees, and limits to consider when you choose a business account with bunq:
- Monthly fees. Each bunq Business account comes with a monthly fee. You will pay €4.99 per month for easy Bank Business, €10.99 per month for Easy Money Business and €20.99 for Easy Green Business.
- Extra sub-accounts. The Easy Green Business and Easy Money Business accounts come with 25 sub-accounts, but you can add 25 more for €19.
- Account top-up. You’ll be charged 0.5% to top up your account with a debit or credit card, after the first €500 free top ups.
- Foreign currency transfers through Wise. All bunq Business users can send international money transfers through Wise (formerly TransferWise) for €0.10 per payment.
- ATM withdrawals. Easy Money and Easy Green users are entitled to fee-free 4 withdrawals per month. The next 5 withdrawals (which is also the first 5 withdrawals for Easy Bank users) will cost €0.99. Subsequently, all withdrawals will cost €2.99.
How to sign up with bunq Business
bunq says it takes as little as five minutes to sign up to one of its business accounts. To start, just click “Go to Site” from this review. Click on “Join bunq” and enter your mobile phone number. You’ll then be sent an invitation to download the app and open a business account by providing ID and details of your business. During a short verification process, you’ll typically have to take a photo of your photo ID and record a short video. After signing up, you can then add funds to your bunq account.
Your bunq card should arrive within 10 working days, which will give you full access to your business account.
bunq certainly has the challenger spirit that is seen with many of the digital-only banks available in Ireland, offering a wide range of financial tools and the ease at which transfers can be made Europe-wide.
However, if your business trades regularly with the UK then this business account may not be the best choice for you as there are fees for exchanging funds from euro to Pound sterling. So, before you settle on the question of where to do your business banking, you’ll want to compare plenty of other options on the market.
Customer opinions of bunq Business
bunq has 3.2 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot and a rating of Average (September 2021) based on 2,611 reviews. However, these reviews look at bunq as a brand rather than specifically about bunq Business.
43% of users say bunq is Excellent while the majority say it’s either Bad (44%) or Poor (5%).
Issues mentioned with bunq Business include a complex sign up process, poor customer service and plans being changed without notice.
Compare bunq Business with other digital banks for businesses in Ireland
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.