Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare Broadband in Ireland
How to compare Fibre internet plans to find the one for you.
When shopping around for internet, home phone, TV and mobile deals it’s important to know what you’re looking for. Broadband providers can leave consumers confused. People end up buying packages unsuited to them, add-ons they don’t need, and paying hefty fees which they weren’t expecting. This page is here to help with all of that.
Read on to get the information you need to help you make an informed decision on a fibre broadband plan.
What to look for when comparing broadband plans in Ireland
Whether you’re looking for Fibre, Cable or a Mobile plan it pays to compare so you can get the best deal for you at a great price. These are some of the questions to ask yourself when you’re shopping around for broadband in Ireland:
What costs should I be aware of when switching broadband?
Make sure you read the terms and conditions on your existing deal before you switch broadband providers. Some companies will charge an exit fee, and set a minimum term during which this applies if you switch broadband mid-contract. Also, be aware of any costs you need to pay before you sign up to your new package. Typical examples include installation costs or a charge for the delivery of your router.
How to choose the best Internet plan
What makes an Internet plan the “best” changes from person to person, so we’ve compiled a list of things to look out for when you’re trying to choose the best Internet plan for you.
- Price. Not all plans are created equal, and some providers will simply charge more for a comparable plan. Most plans offer unlimited data these days, but you could think about potentially saving on a limited data plan if you’re not a heavy Internet user.
- Speed. Every provider has a typical evening speed for their plans. This tells you what speed you can expect when everyone is online in the evening, and is what you should be comparing between similar fibre plans.
- Contract type. Month-to-month plans offer flexibility and let you switch providers on a whim, but some longer contract plans let you waive set-up fees or include a modem as part of the plan.
- Extras. Do you need a home phone line, or are you interested in entertainment bundles? Some providers will include extras that you can sign up for on their Internet plans.
- Provider reviews. While reading reviews is important, be aware that some providers compensate people for writing positive reviews about them to improve their star ratings. Also check whether negative reviews are related to issues with the provider or simply written by customers who are angry for other reasons.
Frequently asked questions
What connection will I get at my property?
The type of connection you have is typically fixed – in short, you’re stuck with whatever connection your property has. Unfortunately, not every home or business across Ireland will be able to access fibre broadband. If a fast Internet plan is your top priority, take the type of connection into consideration when moving.
What will I need to have in place to get fibre broadband at home?
As a minimum, you’ll need to ensure you have the required fibre infrastructure in your area, and the Termination Point (TP) is activated in your premises. Once you’ve activated your broadband, the way your home is set up – including the distance between the router and your devices – are just a couple of the factors which determine how seamlessly you’ll be able to use the Internet in your home.
Can I take advantage of broadband bundles if I’m an existing customer?
It can be easier to manage your broadband and home entertainment as part of one deal. Start by checking if there are any fees if you break your existing contract. You should be able to check this in your online broadband account. It’s often found on a provider’s website under ‘Manage my plan’ or ‘Manage my account’. How close to your contract’s expiry date you need to be for a new deal varies between providers.
More guides on Finder
Starlink: Ireland pricing, launch date, features and competitors
Starlink promises to bring fast satellite Internet across Ireland. We answer questions about the system, its costs and availability.
Home Wireless Broadband
Find out why home wireless broadband with its easy set-up could be a great option for you.
FTTH: Fibre to the Home explained
If you want the fastest available broadband service, you want an FTTH-based internet service. Here’s everything you should consider before choosing a plan.
Rural Broadband Plans in Ireland
Find out about rural broadband and what connection types could be available at your place.
Mobile Broadband Plans
A mobile broadband connection could be your next best connectivity option if a physical broadband connection is unavailable.
What is fibre broadband and how does it work?
Fibre broadband explained. What is fibre broadband? How does it work? Should you get it, how do you get it, and what are the pros and cons of fibre?
How can I switch broadband provider?
Find out how to switch broadband provider, get a better deal and avoid possible pitfalls.