Avantcard Reward+ credit card review
Get 1.25% cashback and a choice of rewards.
If you’re looking for a credit card that gives you a range of incentives as you spend, the Avantcard Reward+ could work for you. This card also gives you no fewer than three 0% interest rates after you sign up. What’s more, Avantcard is a big name in personal finance in Ireland and has partnered with An Post among others.
Let’s take a closer look at what’s offered by this credit card, along with its main fees and charges.
finder does not currently have access to this credit card provider. Please review the product details, application criteria and terms and conditions on the provider website if you are considering applying for this product.
What are the benefits of the Avantcard Reward+ credit card?
The Avantcard Reward+ lets you pick between a total of four benefits when you apply for your card. You can choose one from the following:
- 0% interest on purchases for one month; 0% on balance transfers for two months; 0% on money transfers for three months
- €30 in bonus credit – this gets paid straight into your account
Also, you’ll get to choose one the following ‘always on’ rewards:
- 15% interest refund – lowering some of the interest on your purchases each month
- 1.25% cashback – this very competitive rate is earned back on your shopping or entertainment transactions
The rewards programme from this provider is known as Avantages, and it lets you enjoy a wide range of discounts and cashback offers from popular brands in Ireland. One such example is 4% cashback earned when you spend on Booking.com. Also, by having a Mastercard you’ll be able to make the most of Priceless Cities which offers further perks if you spend abroad on your card.
Any rewards you get with Avantages are applied to your account as a credit and this can’t be used to pay off your bill or for settling your minimum payment. In the case of the Avantcard Rewards+, your minimum payment will be €25 or 1% (whichever is greater). Keep in mind that this credit card has a cap on how much you can earn back each month. For cashback it’s €12, while it’s €24 for the interest refund.
What are the features of this card?
This credit card also has a range of features including:
- No monthly account fee – but be aware the Irish government charges stamp duty of €30 per year on all credit card accounts
- Personalised pricing – access lower rates of interest if you have a better credit history
- You can name up to three additional cardholders
- Easy online application process
What other costs should I be aware of?
Like with any credit card, Avantcard will set a limit to the amount you can spend on your card. If you spend more than the agreed amount, you’ll face charges and it may affect your credit rating. You’ll also pay interest on your credit card balance each month (after the 0% introductory rates end). How much you’ll pay depends on the card’s standard variable rate, which is expressed as a percentage.
The following rates apply with Avantcard Rewards+:
- Purchases – 14.9%
- Balance transfers – 14.9%
- Cash withdrawals – 16.8% (plus, a handling fee of 1.50%, subject to a minimum of €2.50 per transaction)
- Typical APR rate – 20.6%
To benefit from the 0% introductory rate on balance transfers, you’ll need to complete a balance transfer within the first 90 days of your new account. You can transfer any amount between €100 and 95% of your credit limit.
There may be other costs and fees you’ll need to pay, which vary depending on the way you use your card. Always read the full terms of any credit card before you sign up to a new deal. The smartest way to limit fees on your credit card is to pay your balance in full each month when you get your bill, via a direct debit.
How to apply for an Avantcard credit card
- Avantcard applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- You’ll need to live in the Republic of Ireland
With this application, Avantcard will also ask you about the following: your total income; the number of dependents you have; any monthly rent or mortgage repayments, along with any other monthly loan debts.
- Proof of income – typically you’ll be asked for a bank statement and payslips
- Proof of identification – this can be one of the following: a valid passport, passport card, driver’s licence, immigration card or Garda age card
- Proof of address – one of the following documents which is dated from the last three months: a utility bill, revenue document, social insurance document, home/car insurance document or bank/credit union statement
Frequently asked questions
From its cool design to its impressive mix of cashback offers, the Avantcard Reward+ has a lot of things going for it. However, the reward card that works best for you will ultimately depend on the way that you spend. So, if you’re planning a few big purchases in the future, you may want to look at the Avantcard One credit card as this has longer 0% interest rates on purchases. If you love to travel, both of Avantcard’s credit cards benefit from the booking.com partnership and this could be a deal-breaker for you. On the other hand, you might benefit from a card from another provider that gives rewards as you clock up air miles. So, it’s always a good idea to spend some time comparing many different options in order to find the right credit card that meets your needs.
More guides on Finder
Revolut Premium vs Revolut Standard
We compare Revolut Standard and Revolut Premium side by side to help you decide which account is right for you.
How to watch Borat Subsequent Moviefilm online in Ireland
Borat is getting a sequel. Very nice!
The UK-based CurrencyTransfer platform lets you compare and select the best money transfer rates.
Switching banks in Ireland
Fancy switching banks? Let your new bank help you make the switch to a new bank account.
Namecheap discount codes and coupons October 2020 | Up to 100% off your subscription
Get your dream domain name at Namecheap. It offers easy to use, affordable domain name hosting.
InMotion promo codes October 2020: Get 33% off
Grab a promo code and cut costs on innovative web hosting solutions at InMotion today.
Etsy coupon codes and promos October 2020 | Gifts under $30
Etsy has the best range of unique, offbeat and natural products around. For something ecofriendly and different check them out!
How to buy stock in Snowflake (SNOW) in Ireland
Learn how to invest in Snowflake in Ireland.
Compound (COMP): How it works and where to buy
Learn more about the COMP cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
KAVA cryptocurrency: How it works and where to buy it
Learn more about the KAVA cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Ask an Expert