Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Review: AIB international money transfers
Use your AIB account to transfer money around the world from Ireland.
If you hold a current account with AIB, you’ll have options of sending money overseas by visiting a branch and using a self-service kiosk, requesting a transfer over the counter or by using internet banking. While making a money transfer online with AIB is secure and cheaper, you may still be paying more with its weaker exchange rates.
AIB claims you can send more than 20 currencies including all major ones to many countries around the world. While you may find it convenient, especially if you bank with AIB, you may find transfer services with better exchange rates and fees elsewhere.
How much will I pay to send money with AIB?
As with other banks, AIB, or Allied Irish Banks plc, makes its money from the transfer fees it charges and by padding the exchange rate to make a profit. Essentially, this is offering a weaker exchange rate than the mid-market rate that banks can typically enjoy when trading with other banks and financial institutions.
You’ll pay more to visit a branch and request a money transfer (over the counter or via one of the self-service kiosks) while using internet banking will be cheaper and more secure.
Fees really depend on where you’re sending the money to and how quickly you need that money to arrive in your recipient’s bank account. AIB offers standard and urgent transfers but not all currencies are available for transfer if you’re in a hurry. Fees range from €0 up to €32.
If you want to check any details or fees relating to your transaction, AIB does offer online live chat to assist with your queries.
How are AIB’s exchange rates?
AIB is a bank. It’s also one of the big four banks in Ireland. Banks typically inflate the mid-market rate in order to make a profit so you can expect to find better exchange rates from providers that only specialise in international money transfers rather than those that offer a number of financial services.
What types of transfers does AIB support?
AIB only offers one transfer option:
- Bank account transfers. Send money directly to your recipient’s bank account using either Paylink Euro, where your euros can be sent to any SEPA zone country, or using Paylink, where any AIB permitted currencies can be sent worldwide.
The pros & cons of using AIB
- Accepts all major currencies. AIB claims that it can make payments in all major currencies.
- Two transfer speeds. Choose between standard or urgent delivery speeds.
- Convenience. AIB account holders can complete a money transfer in a branch via a counter or kiosk, or the convenience of internet banking.
- Limited transfer options. AIB only offers bank to bank transfer only.
- Weaker exchange rates. This is a bank so better exchange rates are likely to be available from other money transfer services.
- Send limits. In any one banking day, personal users can only send up to €10,000 while business users are limited to €30,000.
- AIB customers only. Only AIB account holders can make an international money transfer with AIB.
How do I send money with AIB?
If you’re an AIB account holder, you can send money through AIB internet banking or visit a branch and either complete your transfer over the counter or via a self-service kiosk.
Whether you log on or visit a branch, you’ll essentially go through the same process.
1. Log into your AIB internet banking account.
2. From the “Transfers and Payments” tab on the left, select ” I want to transfer money internationally” then hit”start”.
3. Choose the destination, currency and payment type from the drop down menu and select whether it should be a standard or urgent transfer.
4. Select which AIB account you would like the transfer payment to be made out of.
5. Enter all the details and banking information for your recipient. You’ll need the recipient’s name and address, the name and address of the bank branch or the BIC (Bank Identifier Code), the recipient’s bank account details or the IBAN (International Bank Account Number).
6. Check the details are accurate before entering the automatically-generated code from your AIB code reader and confirm to complete the transfer.
There are no details available about transfer speeds but these are likely to vary depending on your recipient’s country and the currency you choose to send.
Tracking your transfer
You may be assigned a unique money transfer number associated with your international money transfer. You can usually use this to track the progress of your transfer through your AIB internet banking account.
If you decide to shop around but don’t want the extra hassle, you’ll want to compare the fees, rates and details of other money transfer specialists.
See how other services compare to AIB
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
AIB offers the convenience of sending money internationally to its account holders, and there are a few options on how you can do it. While online banking is the cheapest option AIB offers, you are likely to find cheaper alternatives from somewhere.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Review: Ulster Bank international money transfers
A detailed review of the exchange rates, fees and processing times for Ulster Bank international money transfers.
Compare online savings accounts
The convenience that an online High Interest Savings Account provides can be just the incentive you need to start putting your extra dollars to interest earning use.
Corazon cryptocurrency hardware wallet – May 2021 review
Find out why the Corazon is the world’s most expensive cryptocurrency hardware wallet.
Wise (TransferWise) Multi-Currency Account review
Convert funds and make payments overseas with the Wise debit card.
Investing in cannabis stocks in Ireland
Top stocks and ETFs to consider for those in Ireland who are ready to invest in cannabis.
How to buy Bitcoin SV
Our how to buy guide will let you in on what you need to know about buying, selling and trading BSV.
Revolut promo codes for May 2021
Check out what Revolut offers and see if you can save more on this digital bank with discount codes and deals.
The UK-based CurrencyTransfer platform lets you compare and select the best money transfer rates.
EUR to THB Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Thai Baht. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to THB.
EUR to PHP exchange rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Philippine Peso. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to PHP.
Ask an Expert