A beginner’s guide to buying and trading the METAL cryptocurrency (MTL) in Indonesia.
Metal Pay is a blockchain-based payment processing platform designed to introduce cryptocurrency to the masses. It offers a secure cryptocurrency wallet that connects to your bank accounts and allows you to send instant transfers around the globe.
METAL (MTL) is the native currency of the platform and is used for proof-of-processed payment rewards to Metal Pay users. Let’s take a closer look at how the Metal Pay platform works and how you can buy, sell and trade MTL in Indonesia.
Where to buy, sell and trade MTL
MTL is currently available on a number of cryptocurrency exchanges, including:
How to buy MTL: A step-by-step guide
If you want to buy MTL, here’s an example of how you can do it:
Step 1. Create an account with a cryptocurrency exchange that allows you to trade MTL
MTL isn’t listed on every crypto exchange around the world, so search for a suitable platform that allows you to exchange MTL with the currency of your choice. Once you’ve found a site, sign up for an account by providing your name, email address and contact information.
In line with Know Your Customer (KYC) laws, some exchanges will also require proof of ID before your account can be verified and you can begin trading. It’s also recommended that you set up two-factor authentication for increased account security.
Depending on how busy your chosen exchange is, verification can take anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks.
Step 2. Deposit funds into your account
Many cryptocurrency exchanges don’t allow you to swap fiat currency, such as IDR, for cryptocurrencies directly. If this is the case, you’ll need to acquire a cryptocurrency that’s available in a pairing with MTL, such as Ethereum (ETH) or bitcoin (BTC), and then exchange it for MTL.
Step 3. Buy MTL
Once the necessary funds have been deposited, search for the currency pair you want to trade, such as MTL/ETH. Review the current price of MTL and click on “Buy MTL”.
You will then need to choose a limit or market order, enter the amount of MTL you want to buy, and review the full details and cost of your transaction. If you’re happy with all the details and ready to proceed, confirm your buy order.
How to sell MTL
If you want to sell your METAL tokens, you can do so by searching for your chosen currency pair and clicking on “Sell MTL”. The process after that is more or less the same as that outlined in Step 3 above, but it’s important to remember that you may not be able to directly exchange MTL for the currency you want to acquire.
Which wallets can I use to hold MTL?
For security reasons, it’s recommended that you move your cryptocurrency holdings into a secure wallet for safe storage instead of keeping them on a crypto exchange.
MTL is an ERC20 token on the Ethereum network. You can sign up for Metal’s web wallet, known as Vault, through the Metal Pay website.
Other ERC20-compatible wallets include:
How Metal Pay works
Despite their rise in popularity and public consciousness in recent times, cryptocurrencies are yet to break into the mainstream. It’s this challenge that Metal Pay aims to overcome.
This blockchain-based system utilises proof-of-processed-payments to identify users, rewarding them for converting legacy fiat currency into cryptocurrency. When people send money or make purchases using the Metal Pay platform, they receive METAL tokens as a reward, with the ability to earn up to 5% MTL on every purchase.
The basic idea behind Metal Pay is to introduce cryptocurrency to the masses. It aims to do this by providing a secure digital wallet that allows users to manage their cryptocurrency and fiat currency funds. The wallet is designed to have an easy-to-use interface, offer simple fiat-to-crypto conversions, and allow users to send money around the globe instantly with nothing more than a phone number.
From the whitepaper:
“Without an incentive to purchase, cryptocurrency may never reach mass adoption. Metal proposes a system utilising provable payments attached to verified identities to distribute currency. Anyone can participate to earn MTL as a reward for converting fiat to cryptocurrency.”
What to consider before you buy MTL
Buying cryptocurrency is risky and speculative, and there are several complicated factors that can influence the value of digital currencies. As a result, it’s critical that you consider all the risks associated with any crypto before deciding to buy.
If you’re thinking of purchasing MTL, take these factors into account:
- Supply. According to CoinMarketCap, at the time of writing (01/02/2018) the circulating supply of MTL was 19,300,994, out of a total supply of 66,588,888 MTL.
- Rewards. METAL rewards are distributed through the proof-of-processed-payments system, allowing users to earn up to 5% MTL on every purchase. 26,341,112 MTL tokens are set aside for this purpose. An additional 13,378,888 MTL are kept in the Metal operational pool to be used at the company’s discretion.
- Use. MTL tokens are offered as a reward to encourage the widespread adoption of cryptocurrency. However, they also have a range of other uses in the platform. For example, merchants will be able to purchase platform credit with MTL, which will entitle them to a discount on all associated payment processing fees and merchant services. Merchants may also receive an additional 5% discount off payment processing fees for offering a discount to customers who pay with MTL.
- Business targets. In the whitepaper, Metal says its goal is to provide all of the financial services small to medium sized businesses might need but can’t access currently. Its initial target market will be high-risk merchants, cash-intensive merchants and those who want to accept cryptocurrency. Moves to acquire traditional merchants will occur at a later stage, and Metal’s ability to attract and seamlessly integrate merchants into its system will therefore be crucial to the value of MTL tokens.
- Market competition. Finally, it’s also important to assess the challenges Metal Pay could face from competitors. For example, OmiseGo (OMG) offers a similar product that is well worth researching.
By considering all the available information about the potential future value of MTL, you’ll be able to make an informed decision about whether this particular cryptocurrency represents a sound purchase.