Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Petrol Credit Cards
Want to earn points for refuelling your vehicle? Compare and apply for a petrol rewards credit card.
Petrol is a necessary weekly expense, and one that you could be earning points on. A petrol rewards credit card is designed to help you save on petrol costs and earn you reward points. To help you decide if a petrol rewards credit card will work for you, here we look at how they work and weigh up the pros and cons.
How do petrol credit cards work?
A petrol credit card works similarly to a conventional credit card, allowing cardholders to earn rewards when they purchase petrol on plastic.
There are two card options to consider:
- Direct earn petrol cards. Direct earn cards allow cardholders to earn cashback and discounts directly from purchasing petrol. They are not linked with any other existing rewards program but are connected to specific petrol retailers.
- Indirect earn petrol cards. These cards reward cardholders for spending on a variety of eligible purchases. Points can then be redeemed for petrol discounts and vouchers. The reward programs for these types of cards also allow cardholders to redeem points for a range of other rewards.
What are the pros and cons of a petrol rewards card?
- Rewards. Any opportunity to receive rewards for necessary costs is a plus. The reward is also instant, with the savings added to your account immediately after your transaction has been approved.
- Additional cardholders earn rewards. You can often add a cardholder to your account, doubling the amount of points you could earn.
- Extra benefits. Credit cards often come with additional features such as a frequent flyer rewards program, complimentary insurance or interest-free days that could provide you with other benefits.
- High fees. Generally, there is a joining fee and ongoing annual membership fee when you sign up for a petrol rewards credit card. Some cards will also charge a service fee every time you fill up. Make sure that the value of the rewards exceeds the cost of the card.
- High interest. Typically, rewards cards expect you to pay your outstanding balance at the end of each month. If this is not possible for you, you could have to pay high interest rate charges on your credit card balance.
- Restrictions. Most petrol credit card providers are partnered with a particular service station. Make sure the card is partnered with the petrol station you usually go to each week.
- Reward card competition. With such a wide range of rewards cards available, the petrol rewards card may not offer as much value compared with the competition. Consider how much you spend on petrol and where you want to see your rewards go.
More guides on Finder
Common Bitcoin scams (and how to avoid them)
A comprehensive guide to what you need to know to detect and avoid some of the most common cryptocurrency scams.
Bitcoin (BTC) price prediction 2021
Your guide to the factors affecting Bitcoin’s value and what to look for when forecasting Bitcoin price changes in the weeks and months ahead.
Coinbase cryptocurrency exchange | April 2021 review
Check out our complete review of Coinbase to see if it’s safe, weigh up pros and cons, compare fees and learn what you can do on it beyond simply buying cryptocurrency.
Grin vs Beam: How do they compare?
We compare Grin and Beam side by side to see what makes them tick, how they’re the same and how they’re different.
Luno cryptocurrency exchange – April 2021 review
Luno has been helping people buy their first Bitcoin since 2013. Here’s what to watch out for if you’re using it.
Review: eToro cryptocurrency trading and CFDs
If you’re thinking of trading cryptocurrency and CFDs on eToro, make sure you check out our comprehensive eToro review first.
IDEX cryptocurrency exchange review
If you’re looking for a secure, decentralised exchange where you can trade a huge range of Ethereum ERC20 tokens, check out our review of IDEX.
Premium Credit Cards in Indonesia
There are different levels of premium credit cards to choose from, all coming with their own special set of rewards, features and benefits. Read on to find out how to compare different premium credit cards and what’s available.
How to buy Ethereum (ETH)
If you want to buy Ethereum’s Ether tokens (ETH) but don’t know how, find out everything you need to get started in this detailed guide.
Indacoin for money transfers: review
Indacoin can help you with your next bitcoin money transfer. We break down its fees, exchange rates and what you should look out for.