Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Compare ice cream truck insurance
Consider a mix of coverage to cover both your truck and your business.
An ice cream truck works as a vehicle and a portable business, so it’s important you get coverage for both. Because you need a variety of insurance to protect against customer injuries or damage to your truck, you might shell out a higher premium than most businesses would for commercial vehicles. On the other hand, you can lower your premium by keeping a few cost-lowering tips in mind.
What is ice cream truck insurance?
Ice cream truck insurance involves a mixture of coverage for day-to-day operations, including coverage for your vehicle and business driving, products, employees and business liability.
While some specialized companies exist, many companies only offer coverage for certain parts of your business. If you don’t find a single policy that covers every area, consider one policy to cover standard business insurance and another to protect your truck.
What does ice cream truck insurance cover?
You can choose insurance to cover a variety of situations, including:
Commercial vehicle insurance
Like with any other vehicle, you’ll need the proper insurance to drive your ice cream truck on public roads. You may need this coverage for your truck:
- Commercial auto liability. Covers any damage or injuries you cause to another car, driver or passengers, but does not cover any damage done to your vehicle.
- Collision. Protects you against any damage or loss to your vehicle if you or your employees cause an accident.
- Comprehensive. Offers protection against damage to your vehicle from fire, theft, vandalism, tornadoes, hail or other weather conditions.
- Medical payments. Pays medical expenses for you, employees or other passengers in your truck without having to prove who caused an accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Protects you from expensive repairs caused by underinsured drivers who can’t pay for damage they caused.
- Roadside assistance. Don’t let minor situations like a flat tire or lost keys interrupt your business.
You can also get insurance to cover the business side of your ice cream truck operations:
- Inland marine. Protects your goods or products from damage while driving your ice cream truck around town.
- General liability. Protects your business for damage it causes that aren’t related to your industry or profession, such as a customer slipping on an unmarked wet floor. Can include limited coverage for media and advertising.
- Public liability. Pays for injuries or damage that happens on your business property, like a customer getting hurt on your truck’s equipment.
- Product liability. Protects you if a customer gets sick or injured while eating your ice cream or other menu items.
- Business interruption. Fills in the gaps for lost income if you can’t work for a reason covered by your policy.
- Equipment breakdowns. Protects you from paying for repairs upfront if your equipment breaks down.
- Workers’ compensation. Covers you for employee injuries and protects you from lawsuits for those injuries.
Compare commercial car insurance providers
How much does ice cream truck insurance cost?
With all the business and commercial auto coverage you need, expect to pay several hundred dollars per month to insure your truck. However, this cost may total less than the traditional insurance for a brick-and-mortar store.
A policy for an ice cream truck will depend on several factors, including:
- Value of your truck
- Locations where you sell
- Type of coverage chosen
- Number of employees and payroll amount
- Type of equipment used
How to get cheap ice cream truck insurance
You can reduce the cost of your insurance in a number of ways:
- Compare packaged and separate policies. Weigh the cost of buying business and vehicle coverage in one place or using two companies for each type of insurance.
- Improve your truck’s security. Park your truck in a secure location like a garage and consider fitting it with cameras and alarms.
- Park vs drive. Avoid racking up extra mileage by parking in strategic spots where customers can find you, rather than driving around. But consider whether reducing your driving would lower your income.
- Pay annual premiums. You can save money by paying your premium once a year rather than in monthly payments.
Since your ice cream truck serves as your business on wheels, you’ll need insurance that fills your needs with broad protection. Consider which business insurance companies give you the best benefits and bang for your buck.
Common questions about ice cream truck insurance
More guides on Finder
Do I need disability insurance?
Who long-term or short-term disability insurance works best for, and pros and cons to buying both.
It’s too late to insure for Hurricane Delta, but here’s what to do instead
With landfall expected Friday, know what your current policy covers and how to get federal government disaster relief.
Heacock Classic car insurance review October 2020
Insure your classic car or race car at agreed value with Heacock Classic, but you’ll have to look elsewhere if you have recent claims or major violations.
Horror stories you could actually insure against
13 best horror stories where insurance could have saved the day.
Short-term vs. long-term disability insurance
Short- and long-term disability insurance offers coverage for different amounts of time and replaces a different percentage of your income, but you can buy both if you can afford it.
Doggo pet insurance review Oct 2020
With round-the-clock support, customer experience and policy perks are this company’s claim to fame.
Driving without car insurance
Since driving uninsured comes with steep penalties, look at your coverage options or consider alternatives.
Say car insurance review Oct 2020
Offers a transparent look at your premiums and rewards renewal with a better insurance score.
Compare bus conversion insurance
Find and qualify for the right type of policy when living in a skoolie.
Does home or renters insurance cover eviction?
Learn what your policy covers and how eviction affects your insurance.