Huntington Relationship Savings account review
Two ways to avoid the monthly fee and a grace period for overdrafts, but a low 0.01% APY.
finder.com’s rating: 2.6 / 5.0
The Huntington Relationship Savings account is a step above its standard Premier Savings option with a slightly higher APY and more perks. However, you’ll find better APYs with other banks.
Up to 0.01%
$10 per month
Minimum deposit to open
|Annual percentage yield (APY)||0.01% on balances of $0.01+ non-relationship rate |
0.02% on balances of $0.01+ with Huntington checking
0.06% on balances of $0.01+ with private client account
|Fee||$10 per month|
|To waive the fee||maintain an average daily balance of at least $2,500 or have an active Huntington 5 or 25 account|
|Minimum deposit to open||$2,500|
|Monthly transaction limit||6|
|Fee per transaction over the limit||$2|
Peter Carleton is a writer that covers banking and investing, breaking down what you need to know about where you put your money. When Peter's not thinking about cutting-edge banking apps and robo-advisors, he runs a creative agency and spends his spare time cooking or reading.
The Huntington Relationship Savings account has an avoidable monthly fee and an accommodating overdraft program to help you avoid fees. But it requires at least $2,500 to open for a 0.01% APY.
Although its rate is above the national average, you’ll find higher APYs elsewhere.
How do I open a Huntington Relationship Savings account?
You can open this account online, at a branch or by phone. Here’s how to get started:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From Huntington’s website, hover over Banking, hover over Savings & CDs, then click Huntington Relationship Savings.
- Click Apply Now.
- Enter your name and answer the eligibility questions, then click Continue.
- Enter your personal information, then click Continue.
- Review your information, then click Continue.
- Verify your account by phone, then click Continue.
- Review all details, personalize your account, then click Continue.
- Fund your account and submit your application.
You must meet general requirements to apply:
- At least 18 years old
- Valid Social Security or tax identification number
- US citizen
- Valid passport or state-issued ID
- $2,500 minimum deposit
Gather personal and financial details that include:
- Name and birthdate
- Contact information — address, email and phone number
- Social Security or tax identification number
- Government-issued ID
- Employment information
What are the benefits of the Huntington Relationship Savings account?
With interest rates that increase based on how many other Huntington accounts you have, this account is best for current customers, but anyone can take advantage of its perks:
- Avoidable monthly fee. The monthly fee is waived when you maintain an average daily balance of at least $2,500 or have an active Huntington 5 or 25 account
- Overdraft perks. Get free overdraft transfers from a linked checking account and a 24-hour grace period to make a deposit to avoid an overdraft fee
- All Day Deposit. ATM and mobile app deposits are accepted until midnight, unlike other banks that won’t accept them after business hours.
- Solid customer service. 24/7 customer service ensures you get help when you need it.
What should I look out for?
- Low APY. You’ll only earn between 0.02% and 0.01% APY with this account.
- Limited availability. Huntington accounts are only available to residents of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
- Service fees. Watch out for the $10 monthly fee, $25 outgoing domestic transfer fee, $75 outgoing international transfer fee and more.
- High minimum deposit. You’ll need to deposit at least $2,500 to open this account.
- Few ATMs and branches. This bank only has about 1,800 ATMs and under 1,000 branches.
If you prefer a higher-yield account with lower deposit requirements, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when looking for a savings account.
Compare Huntington Relationship Savings account to other savings accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw money?
- Branch or ATM
- Mobile deposit
- Direct deposit
- Online, phone or wire transfer
- Mail a check
- Branch or ATM
- Cashback at participating retailers
- Bill pay
- Online, phone or wire transfer
How do I contact Huntington customer service?
There are three ways you can get in touch with a representative:
- Call. Representatives are available 24/7 at 800-480-2265.
- Live chat. Visit the Huntington website to start a chat.
- Mail. Visit the contact page to find mailing addresses.
Frequently asked questions
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.