Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to sell on Poshmark
Fashion-focused sellers will love this online marketplace for its straightforward fees and simplified shipping methods.
Poshmark can help you clear out your closet and potentially make a profit. Selling on Poshmark is good for both side hustlers and full-time gigs. It uses simple shipping methods, has clear fees and is primarily focused on fashion and accessories.
Use Posh Authenticate to verify the authenticity of high-end fashion brands when you're looking to clear out the more expensive items.
What can I sell on Poshmark?
Clothes, shoes and handbags are the primary markets on Poshmark, though it offers categories for select beauty products, home goods and jewelry.
- Clothes for men, women and children
- Party supplies
- Storage and organization
- Wall art
How much does it cost to use Poshmark?
Poshmark has a straightforward fee schedule:
- $2.95 fee for all sales under $15
- 20% commission on all sales over $15
Sellers pay no additional credit card or bank transfer fees.
Let's crunch the numbers
Felicia sells to two customers in one day. The first sale is a pair of basketball shoes for $325, the second sale is a diaper bag that sells for $14.50. Taxes and shipping are always included in Poshmark sales, so Felicia doesn't have to worry about factoring that in.
In total, Felicia loses $67.95 to fees on the total sale of $339.50 — approximately 20%. Felicia's total net profit on this sale is $271.55.
Is selling on Poshmark worth it?
Poshmark is a good addition to the wide array of selling apps on the market. If you're selling with other apps, you'll be familar with what Poshmark offers. Here's what sets Poshmark apart:
- No-fuss purchase and shipping. When you sell an item on Poshmark, print the shipping label and mail your package. No need to weigh it, get shipping quotes or calculate shipping costs yourself.
- Strong social presence. Poshmark's strong community engagement could do a lot to promote your business. It encourages social interaction, and items that have more likes, comments and shares are typically more likely to sell than posts with no engagement.
- High priced items. Poshmark focuses on name-brand luxury items, making it an easy place to offload high-end items sitting in your closet. And the flat shipping fee of $6.49 is rolled into the price, so it's less likely people are hunting out a bargain here.
- Tax remittance included in sales. In some states, Poshmark automatically collects taxes and sends it to the appropriate government entities to save you the trouble. Refer to the guide handbook for tax questions.
Overall selling on Poshmark is worth it if you're looking to sell the items it focuses on, enjoy operating a business through your mobile phone and computer and plan to engage in the Poshmark community. The major downfall of Poshmark is its steep commission fees that average 20% which can really eat into your profits.
How to start selling on Poshmark
According to Poshmark, signing up and getting started on your first sale takes less than one minute.
We tested this out and it is as easy as advertised, follow these steps for mobile users:
- Download and open the Poshmark app.
- Set up your profile with your name, a username and password, your gender, location and an invite code if you have one.
- After you create your first listing and have your first sale you'll be prompted to enter bank account information (if you want direct deposit) and possibly confirm your identity using a driver's license or passport.
- Once you confirm your account details you're emailed the shipping label for your first sale. Attach it to your box, drop it in the mail and you're officially on your way to cleaning out your closet with Poshmark.
How to access your money after a sale
Withdrawing money is free, and sellers can opt to be paid in one of three ways after their sale has finalized:
- Posh Credit — Spend within the Poshmark app on items.
- Direct deposit — Typically takes between two and three business days.
- Check — typically takes between eight and 10 business days.
How to sell wholesale on Poshmark
To get started selling wholesale on Poshmark, fill out an online application with information about your brand. To be approved, you must confirm that your brand will:
- List at least three units of depth per SKU (this refers to style and color combinations)
- Ship all orders within seven days after purchase
- Upload original images or images explicitly permitted by the owner
- Style all apparel listings on a body
- Provide a markup of at least 50% between the wholesale cost and suggested retail price
If approved, you'll set up a specialized wholesale account for your brand. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions along the way.
How to price your items
Take these tips into consideration when pricing your items on Poshmark:
- Price high. Give yourself some cushion to discount your items over time. Poshmark requires that you list the original price of the item while putting it up for sale — Poshmark recommends 40% to 60% of the original price to start.
- Bundle. The standard shipping cost on Poshmark is higher than other websites and apps, so bundling many items together into one sale can help buyers save some money and entice them to buy more. Or you can offer a bundling discount when buyers purchase more than one of your items at a time. Make sure your bundles don't go over Poshmark's five-pound shipping limit.
- Watch trends. Pay attention to what's popular and shift your prices accordingly. That Prada jacket you have listed may be coming back into the spotlight, so adjusting the price up can earn you some extra cash.
How to ship items on Poshmark
To ship items on Poshmark:
- Print out the provided shipping label.
- Attach it to your shipping box.
- Either take the box to USPS or have a mail carrier pick it up from your home.
Pro tip: Poshmark ships all items through USPS Priority Mail — sellers are able to order free boxes from USPS.com.
How can I market my Poshmark products?
These few tips and tricks can help increase your Poshmark sales:
- Promotions. Poshmark sends you notification to drop your price, and notifies shoppers who have liked your posts of the discount. It also offers free-shipping promotions.
- Seek out buyers. Poshmark thrives on its community, so participating can help drive sales. When you list a new item, search for identical items already listed on the site and follow anyone who has liked those posts. This connects you with potential buyers.
- Posh Parties. Keep an eye out for Posh Parties that happen daily. Party focus on a select category or theme, and sellers have an opportunity to share and promote items. This helps drive exposure, not only for that specific item, but for your entire collection.
- Social media. Connect your various social profiles to Poshmark to share your listings in many feeds at once. There are also widgets available to help drive sales through blogs.
What to watch out for when selling with Poshmark
Avoid these Poshmark pitfalls to keep your business profitable:
- Returns. Poshmark only accepts returns in three cases according to its website: the item is not as described within the listing, the wrong item was sent or the item is in some other way not as described. To avoid this, be as descriptive and provide as many details as possible when posting an item for sale. Pay attention to things like listing photos, item condition and general item description.
- Reselling. It can be tempting to buy a lot of clothes from a thrift store or online with the plan of flipping them on Poshmark. But costs can add up if you don't sell all items as planned, so take it slow until you've established your shop.
- Third-party sales. Poshmark cannot guarantee payment if you negotiate a sale outside of its platform.
- Counterfeit items. If you're reselling items, you need to validate that the items are authentic. It's against Poshmark's terms to sell counterfeit items and can lead to a permanent account ban.
Compare e-commerce platforms
If you want to create your own store and sell on multiple websites, the best way to do that is to sign up for an e-commerce platform that integrates with multiple sales channels.
The straightforward fees and shipping make Poshmark a great way for new e-commerce sellers to test the water and start selling online. But if you want to grow your business, you'll want to compare e-commerce platforms that can help you set up your own store so you can sell through multiple channels.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
How to stake Ethereum
Learn how to earn ETH coins by locking up ETH with this guide.
Guardian vision insurance review May 2021
Get a generous allowance to put towards contact lenses or frames with this plan.
How to avoid sneaky 401(k) fees
How to identify 401(k) fees and how they impact your bottom line.
A beginner’s guide to mutual funds
Investing in mutual funds offers instant diversification. Learn more.
The best debit cards for kids for 2021
Support your child’s financial knowledge and teach the important real-life money skills in a safe and controlled way with a kids’ debit card.
Investing strategy: How growth stocks can make you money
Learn how to strategically find and invest in booming companies.
CVS Epic Beauty sale
Time to act fast – CVS is hosting a beauty sale and you can save big on everything from skincare to makeup products.
Get up to 90% off popular brands through ThredUp, a secondhand clothing website. Here’s what you need to know before you start shopping.
Mercari review: How it works, pros, cons and more
Is Mercari the best secondhand app to buy or sell your goods? See Mercari pros and cons, reviews and complaints and general FAQs to decide.
Should you sell on Poshmark or Tradesy?
Compare pros and cons of selling on Poshmark vs. Tradesy to help you get the most for your secondhand clothing, shoes and accessories.
Ask an Expert