Cut operating expenses and extend the life of your vehicles.
Your business can cut down on operational costs to make your fleet more efficient, reducing mileage and gas, lowering maintenance costs and improving customer service. Learn how to optimize your businesses vehicles.
What are the benefits of optimizing my fleet?
Improving the way you manage your fleet can help you cut costs and save time.
- Reduce mileage and gas. Plan your routes more efficiently to save on gas and cut fuel costs.
- Improve safety. Driver training can improve driver safety, reducing the risk of accidents or damage to vehicles and drivers.
- Extend the life of your vehicles. With proper maintenance and more efficient management, your vehicles will last longer and maintain their value.
- Lower maintenance costs. Routine maintenance reduces costs in the long run.
- Boost resale value. More efficient vehicles last longer and have higher resale value.
- Reduce insurance rates. Taking better care of your vehicles and reducing the risk of damage can help you get better insurance rates for all of the vehicles in your fleet.
- Increase efficiency. An optimized fleet can help your business be more productive, improving business relationships and increasing revenue.
- Improve customer service. GPS tracking can improve communication with drivers, clients, distributors and suppliers.
- Store vehicles safely. Keep your vehicles in a garage or behind a locked lot.
How many vehicles are considered a fleet?
Most insurers consider a fleet to be at least five vehicles, but some policies allow for as few as two. However many vehicles are in your fleet, you can typically get a multi-vehicle or fleet discount for insuring all your fleet vehicles with the same insurer.
Driver use and telematics
Telematics devices allow you to track driving habits and vehicle activity. They’re ideal for fleet management because they help you manage risk, increase productivity and get better insurance rates.
There are multiple installation methods, though all of them transmit data to your office by cellular network.
Benefits of telematics for fleets
Telematics devices provide a number of benefits:
- Speed. Track your driver’s speed with GPS data.
- Time. See when your drivers are on and off the road to optimize safety and productivity.
- Route. Track driving routes to ensure that your drivers are traveling efficiently.
- Driving habits. Monitor turning, acceleration and braking habits to reduce the need for vehicle maintenance.
- Vehicle compliance. Ensure that all vehicles in your fleet are compliant with emissions and inspections.
- Productivity. Dispatch the nearest driver, schedule roadside assistance and set territories.
- Fuel consumption. Monitor fuel consumption to reduce gas and optimize your fleet.
- Diagnostics. Schedule maintenance based on real-time data.
- Insurance. Tracking habits and activity helps you manage risk and prevent damage to your vehicles. In return, many providers will offer car insurance discounts.
What kind of commercial telematics software should I consider?
While telematics devices and software might be available through your insurer, there are many other providers that offer this service:
- Geotab. A full-service telematics and fleet management solution that allows you to track and communicate with drivers.
- Aeris. Customizable and scalable telematics for a range of vehicles.
- FleetComplete. GPS tracking and telematics that integrates with smartphones for easier fleet management.
- cTrack. Comprehensive vehicle tracking with fleet management capabilities to help you cut fuel and maintenance costs.
- Element fleet management. Fleet telematics and consultants that can help you identify and act on improvements and cost-saving opportunities.
- Key telematics. A feature-rich software platform that integrates into a handful of different GPS tracking devices.
- Route4Me. As the first and only HIPAA-compliant telematics provider, it uses encryption to keep your data safe.
Are telematics secure?
Most telematics providers take extensive measures to keep your data safe, though the level of security varies depending on the company. If you’re worried about data security, ask providers for more details or consider companies that take extra steps to be secure and compliant like Route4Me.
Save on fleet insurance
To save on insurance for your fleet, look for discounts for safe driving, paying your premiums up front and investing in telematics that tracks the driving habit of your drivers.
Compare cheap fleet insurance
Reduce the time and money spent on managing your fleet. Using fleet optimization strategies like route planning, telematics and the right commercial car insurance policy can help you reduce operating costs.