Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
14 of the best ways to score a flight upgrade
Sprawl out in first class. Use these tips on how to get upgraded on your next flight.
It’s the dream to buy economy and get bumped up to first class absolutely free, but how do you make that dream a reality?
While there’s no hard and fast rule on how to score this holy grail, there are a few ways you can increase your chances of nabbing that premium economy, business or first class upgrade.
1. Join the frequent flyer program. Many US airlines such as Delta, United or American Airlines let you trade in your hard-earned frequent flyer miles for upgrades.
2. Earn elite status. Reaching at least the first elite tier of an airline rewards program can get you a complimentary upgrade on most flights and on partner airlines within an alliance, such as Star Alliance, Oneworld Alliance or the SkyTeam. If you reach the top tier, you are often first on the upgrade wait list.
3. Travel with a companion who has elite status. One companion traveling on the same reservation as the elite member can often get a complimentary upgrade along with the elite member.
4. Get an airline cobranded credit card. Use it to reach elite status faster, and to earn more miles on purchases that can be redeemed for an upgrade. Compare your travel card options to find one that best fits your needs.
5. Download upgrade apps. Some apps notify you when a seat upgrade is available, while others let you bid for an upgrade. However, these are often limited to a single airline. For example, Seatboost app works only with Virgin America.
6. Forgo the special meal. These meals are linked to your seat number, so airlines generally don’t upgrade anyone who has nominated one. Instead, choose an onboard option.
7. Fly during quieter periods. Business flyers will fill up the business and first class seats during peak times. Fly during quieter periods to increase your chances of snatching up one of the spare seats on board.
8. Timing is everything. Being early or late both have advantages.
If you’re early, you could be the first offered an upgraded seat. If you’re late and haven’t been assigned a seat yet, there’s a chance the flight has been overbooked for your class and you could be bumped up. Of course, arriving late can be risky.
9. Make an impression. Playing to the emotional side of the person at the counter, or simply being nice and complimenting them can help you get an upgrade according to some. However, there’s no guarantee this will work.
10. Bump yourself off the plane. If the plane has been overbooked and you can sacrifice the waiting time, nominate yourself to be bumped off the plane on the provision that you get upgraded on the next flight.
11. Dress to impress. It can’t hurt to look like you belong in first class when at the airline counter.
12. Don’t let a delay get the better of you. Sometimes, you’ll automatically receive an upgraded ticket at the counter due to a delay.
13. Fly solo. Flying alone can increase your chances of getting an upgrade. Couples have lower chances, while families have almost nonexistent chances of getting an upgrade.
14. Use your status. People with titles like Dr. or Judge can sometimes be upgraded purely because of their status. The same goes for those with diplomatic passports.
Top deals for business and first class seats
More guides on Finder
Delta Medallion status: How does it work and why you should get it
Ascend through its ranks and Delta Medallion Status pays off with additional perks and benefits for SkyMiles members.
Best airline credit cards of 2021
Have your sights set on travel this year? We compared nearly 100 cards to find the best deals and perks.
Travelers can get 5x miles with a Spirit flight right now
Get 5X miles by booking with Spirit — see if you’re eligible.
Etihad promo codes
Access flights from major US hubs and land in dream destinations worldwide for less.
How to earn and redeem airline miles
Read the complete guide to earning and redeeming frequent flyer points and how you can maximize the rewards you get.
Best Southwest Airlines credit cards
Pay attention to the small differences before picking a Southwest card.
Flights to London
See which airlines offer direct flights to London, plus snag some must-know travel tips.
Compare American Airlines credit cards
How to choose the right American Airlines credit card for you.
How to choose a credit card
Check out our handy guide on how to choose the right credit card for your lifestyle, habits and circumstances.
5 ways to use vacation credit cards to fund your long weekend
Find out how to maximize your credit card benefits and savings on your vacation shopping, hotel accommodations, flights, dining and more.
Ask an Expert