How to get an SR-22 with Travelers |

How to get an SR-22 with Travelers

Travelers SR-22 insurance

Last updated:

We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.

If you’re eager to get back on the road after a DUI or other serious driving offense, you’re typically required to file for an SR-22 — a certificate of insurance that proves you’re legal to get back behind the wheel. If you’re already with Travelers, contact your agent about filing an SR-22 on your behalf.

How do I get an SR-22 with Travelers?

If you already have a policy with Travelers, contact your local agent to see if you can get covered under an SR-22.

For your agent to file for an SR-22 on your behalf, you’ll need to provide:

  • Your policy number, if you’re a current Travelers customer.
  • The date your driver’s license was suspended.
  • How long you’ll need to file an SR-22.
  • Any additional information about your violation.

You’ll find that most insurance companies charge between $25 to $50 to file a SR-22 for you. You can also be dropped from coverage for certain violations like a DUI.

What if I’m not a Travelers customer?

If you don’t have a current policy or you’re dropped by your current provider, Travelers may be willing to take you on. Eligibility for an SR-22 policy is determined by case and depends on your state, violation and driving history. Call a local agent to see if they’ll cover you.

Compare SR-22 alternatives to Travelers

Name Product SR-22 Nonowner policy Payment schedule States served
12 months, monthly
AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, West VA, WI, WY
The General offers affordable coverage for nearly any driver who needs car insurance.
12 months, 6 months, monthly (fee applies)
Known for providing insurance to high-risk customers who may have trouble finding coverage elsewhere, SafeAuto offers a lot of different discounts, from those for homeowners to good drivers.
monthly, custom
Discounts, flexible payments and a life coach that guides you to your best rates and coverage with Direct car insurance.
AL, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, ME, MD, MN, MS, MO, NE, NV, NM, NC, OH, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, West VA, WI, WY
Dairyland offers auto insurance with flexible payment and coverage options for high-risk drivers in 37 states.

Compare up to 4 providers

Will Travelers Insurance raise my premiums if I file for an SR-22?

Having an SR-22 means that you’re considered a high-risk driver, so it’s possible that you’ll see an increase in your premiums. Ultimately, rates are based on your age, driving history and other factors. Once you meet your SR-22 requirements, your rates could go down.
Talk with a Travelers agent about how much you should expect to pay once you file for an SR-22. You may be eligible for discounts to help lower your payments.

Will Travelers cancel my policy if I file for an SR-22?

It’s possible that Travelers will cancel your insurance policy once you’re required to file for an SR-22.

If you’re denied coverage because of an SR-22, like most car insurance providers, Travelers should notify you with sufficient time to find coverage elsewhere.

How long will I be required to file SR-22 documents?

It depends on where you live and your violation, but many states require you to file for an SR-22 up to three years — and even up to five for serious violations like an DUI.

To avoid any blips in your SR-22 requirement, you’ll want to pay your premiums on time and avoid further issues on the road. If you fail to sustain continued coverage while an SR-22 is on your policy, you could face a reset on your filing requirement.

What happens when I don’t need an SR-22 anymore?

When you’ve fulfilled your SR-22 responsibility, your DMV will notify you. It’s then your responsibility to let your Travelers agent know. They’ll confirm with the state and remove the SR-22 from your policy.

Ask your Travelers agent if removing the SR-22 can result in more affordable premiums.

What if I don’t have a car?

If you don’t own a car but occasionally get behind the wheel, you’ll typically need coverage. Insurance companies often offer non-owner SR-22 policies that insures you, and not the car you drive.

Contact your Travelers agent to learn the options available for non-owner policies.

Get cheap SR-22 insurance

Compare SR-22 car insurance quotes from companies like Travelers.

Your information is secure.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site