Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure

How to get an SR-22 with The General

The General offers SR-22 insurance to high risk drivers

Find cheap car insurance quotes for SR22

Enter zip to see insurers who file SR22s.

Your information is secure.

If you’re caught driving under the influence, uninsured or without a license, you could be asked to take out SR-22 insurance. But before you file an SR-22, you’ll need an active insurance policy with a provider. If you hold an insurance policy with The General, this provider may even be able to apply for an SR-22 on your behalf.

How do I get an SR-22 with The General?

If you already carry an active insurance policy with The General, call your local insurance agent to get started with the SR-22 filing process.

Here’s the information and documentation you’ll provide The General with to file your SR-22:

  • Your date of birth and Social Security number.
  • Your policy number, if you’re an existing customer.
  • Your state of residence and driver’s license number.
  • The date your license was suspended.
  • The date you anticipate your SR-22 will no longer be required.
  • Any other information about your conviction.

Filing fees vary by state, but you’ll typically be asked to pay a one-time surcharge of $15 to $25 to file your SR-22. It’s also possible that your insurance premiums could increase, but this depends on a number of factors, including your state of residence, age, gender, driving record and insurance provider.

Follow up on the status of your SR-22 documents with both The General and your local DMV. It can take up to two weeks for an SR-22 to be processed.

What if I’m not a customer with The General?

To become a policyholder with The General, sign up for a commitment-free online quote.

To receive your free personalized quote from The General, you’ll provide:

  • Your name and date of birth.
  • Your home address, phone number and email address.
  • Your Social Security or Taxpayer ID number.
  • Whether you’re married.
  • The make, model and year of the car you intend to insure.
  • Whether you intend to file an SR-22.
  • Any recent accidents or violations.

Alternatives to The General SR-22 insurance

Name Product Roadside assistance Accident forgiveness States served
This broker shines with over 600 positive customer reviews, more top ratings than any broker we've compared.
All 50 states
Get your most compatible insurance options via a "smart matching" method aimed at finding you value.
All 50 states & DC
Affordable car insurance with highly rated customer service. Only available to military members and veterans and their family.
All 50 states & DC
Get quotes in 30-seconds from 100+ companies, and save an average of $800 or more per year. Requires online login to your existing insurance.
Benefit from this online-based startup’s steep savings and convenient online quotes and claims.
All 50 states
Compare personalized rates from multiple insurance companies in one go. Plus, access a live agent for any questions along the way.

Compare up to 4 providers

How will I know if I need an SR-22?

If you need to carry SR-22 insurance, you’ll be notified by your state’s motor vehicles department or through a court ruling.

Not everyone needs to file an SR-22 document with their insurance policy. But you may be asked to provide one if:

  • You’re convicted of a DUI.
  • You’re found driving with a suspended or revoked license.
  • You’re found driving uninsured.
  • You’re involved in a serious accident that caused injury.
  • You have a lot of points on your driving record.

Any of these offenses on your driving record could result in your state classifying you as a high-risk driver. Learn more about how SR-22 insurance coverage works in your state by contacting your local DMV.

How long will I be required to file SR-22 documents?

Filing periods vary by state and offense, but most states require that your SR-22 accompany an active insurance policy for three to five years.

For your SR-22 insurance to remain valid, you must maintain your policy with The General. If your policy lapses, you lose your SR-22 and could face fines, the suspension of your license — and possibly jail time.

What happens when I don’t need an SR-22 anymore?

You’ll receive notice from your local DMV when you’re no longer required to carry SR-22 insurance.

You must then contact your local agent to let them know the SR-22 can be taken off of your policy. After The General confirms this information with your state’s motor vehicles department, the SR-22 is removed from your policy. You may see a reduction in your premiums as a result.

What if I don’t have a car?

Even if you don’t own a vehicle, your state could require that you file an SR-22 as a non-owner.

A non-owner is someone with a valid driver’s license that occasionally borrows or rents vehicles but doesn’t own their own car. Non-owners are usually required to carry a non-owners insurance policy.

Not all providers offer non-owners insurance, but The General does.

Will The General raise my premiums if I file for an SR-22?

Your premiums could rise after filing for an SR-22 because of your status as a high-risk driver. Your insurance rates are affected by a number of factors, including your age, gender, state of residence, driving record and provider.

If you’re worried about rising rates, contact your local agent with The General to discuss any changes to your policy that may occur after filing an SR-22.

Will The General cancel my policy if I file for an SR-22?

It might. Some providers won’t cover high-risk drivers, but The General specializes in providing insurance products for “nonstandard” drivers.

The General can’t guarantee you insurance coverage, but you’re more likely to receive a policy with this company than you are from more traditional or big-name providers.

Common questions about The General

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.

2 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    DavidApril 21, 2018

    My best option and what’s the best policy for my situation.
    1)I need SR22 cause dui in 2016
    2)I have no car
    3)I drive moms,girlfriends,friends cars daily
    What’s my best goal to meet needs of court,dmv, and state to drive other cars until I buy one

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JoshuaApril 23, 2018Staff

      Hi David,

      Thanks for getting in touch with finder.

      I read your question and it can be summarized to this: you need an SR22 but you don’t have a car.

      Because an SR-22 covers a driver and not the driver’s car, it’s possible that you’ll need SR-22 coverage even without a vehicle to insure. In this case, the insurer may issue a “nonowner” SR-22.

      If you plan to drive at all, you’ll need the nonowner SR-22 to avoid fees and penalties that could include jail time, depending on your state. The costs of a nonowner SR-22 depend on your age, gender, ZIP code and the reason for this extra coverage.

      For as long as you’re required by the state’s orders, you’ll need to keep your insurance policy active and a current SR-22 on file. As long as your policy is in good standing, your insurer will handle filing the SR-22 documents with your state. If you miss a payment or let your policy lapse, it’s your insurer’s responsibility to report that to your state. Often a driver who lets their policy lapse loses their SR-22 — and therefore the right to legally drive in their state.

      Once your required time is up — typically three years, depending on your state — your state’s DMV will let you know. At that time, you can let your insurer know to remove the SR-22 from your policy. Once they’ve confirmed with the DMV that you no longer need this extra coverage, you should be back to a cheaper policy.

      In case you need more information, please read our car insurance SR-22 guide.

      I would highly recommend that you call and speak with an agent for guidance. They will most likely be able to take into consideration your unique situation and provide personalised advice.

      I hope this helps. Should you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach us out again.

      Have a wonderful day!


Go to site