How to get an SR-22 with Nationwide |

How to get an SR-22 with Nationwide

If you were recently notified that you need SR-22 insurance, you may be surprised to know that you can’t get one on your own.

An SR-22 isn’t actually insurance but rather a certificate proving that you have insurance that meets your state’s minimum coverage requirements. You can only get one through an insurance company.

But if you’re already insured by Nationwide, you may be able to file for an SR-22 easily enough.

Get back on the road quickly

Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare now
to see the best SR-22 rates in your area.

Your information is secure.

How do I get an SR-22 with Nationwide?

Nationwide operates through a network of independent agents. Which means that SR-22 filing services depend on whether your specific agent opts to offer them.

If your local Nationwide agent is willing to file an SR-22 on your behalf, you’ll need to provide:

  • Your current policy number.
  • The date your license was suspended.
  • How long you’ll need to file an SR-22.
  • Any other information about your recent conviction or violation.

If you’re not yet a customer, call your local Nationwide office to inquire about becoming one. It may be eager to take on new clients, regardless of whether you need an SR-22.

Most insurance companies charge SR-22 filing fees ranging from $25 to $50. This is a low-enough fee, but you’ll typically see the biggest penalties as a premium increase.

Other providers that provide SR-22 insurance

Details Features
Liberty Mutual Car Insurance
Liberty Mutual Car Insurance
Car insurance through Liberty Mutual will give coverage options for almost any situation.
  • Multi-car discount
  • Bundle discount for combining auto and home policies
  • New vehicle discount
Get Quote More info
Esurance offers a modern online and mobile experience that helps you take your insurance on the go.
  • CoverageMyWay® helps you make smarter choices
  • Gain peace of mind with 24/7 claims service
  • Manage your policy on the go with Esurance Mobile
Get Quote More info
Allstate Auto Insurance
Allstate Auto Insurance
With a range of coverage options at affordable prices, Allstate auto insurance can be personalized to your needs as a driver.
  • Reward System for Safe Drivers
  • Bumper-to-Bumper Basics® Tool
  • Comprehensive Tools to Design a Customized Insurance Plan
Get Quote More info

Will Nationwide raise my premiums if I file for an SR-22?

After a violation or accident that requires an SR-22, it’s possible that your premiums will increase. An SR-22 indicates to a car insurance provider that you’re now considered a high-risk driver.

However, when determining your rates, Nationwide considers your SR-22 needs along with any number of other factors that include your age, state of residence and overall driving history.

Contact your local Nationwide agent to see what discounts or options you have to lower your premiums.

Will Nationwide cancel my policy if I file for an SR-22?

Depending on your driving history, Nationwide could drop your policy if you need high-risk coverage. If your local agent decides to cancel your policy, you should have plenty of time to choose a new provider.

Many insurance companies offer high-risk insurance, and a few car insurance providers even cater to high-risk drivers.

What is SR-22 insurance?

How will I know I need an SR-22?

This is one of those areas of life where when you need an SR-22, you’ll definitely know it.

Your local DMV or court will notify you if you require an SR-22 to reinstate your driver’s license or registration. Each state has its own laws around SR-22s, but most require one after:

  • You’re convicted of a DUI, DWI or reckless driving.
  • You’re caught driving uninsured
  • You have too many points on your driving record
  • You’ve had other violations resulting in the suspension of your license or vehicle registration

How long will I be required to file SR-22 documents?

It all depends on the severity of your violation and the state you live in. Most states require SR-22s for three years, while others can require up to five years.

Be sure to keep up on your payments and stay safe on the road. If you let your insurance coverage lapse, you could reset the clock on how long you need SR-22 coverage. It’s your responsibility to renew your policy each year and contact your agent if you’re having any problems making payments.

What happens when I don’t need SR-22 anymore?

In most cases, you’ll receive a statement from the DMV when you no longer need an SR-22. Notify your Nationwide agent if you no longer need an SR-22. Once they confirm it with your state, your SR-22 will be removed from your policy.
Contact your agent to re-evaluate your insurance eligibility to be sure you’re getting the right insurance for the right price.

What if I don’t have a car?

If you plan to drive but don’t own a car, you may need a non-owner insurance. Non-owner insurance legally covers you — not the car you’re driving.

Though Nationwide doesn’t offer non-owner coverage, many other companies do. Talk with an agent to see if a standard policy will cover you as a non-owner.

Get back on the road quickly

Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare now
to see the best SR-22 rates in your area.

Your information is secure.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.
Go to site