Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.

How to get an SR-22 with American Family

American Family SR-22 insurance

If you’ve gotten into a bit of trouble on the road — a suspended license, revoked registration or other serious violation — you may be required to file for an SR-22.

American Family Insurance provides car insurance coverage in only 19 states. If you’re a current customer or live in its service area, contact your local American Family agent to see if they’re willing to file an SR-22 on your behalf.

How do I get an SR-22 with American Family?

No matter which state you live in, you can’t file for an SR-22 on your own. For that, you’ll need to find a licensed car insurance provider in your state. Most providers will file your SR-22 for a fee of $25 to $50. But no matter your provider, you’ll often face bigger costs that are a result of premium increases.

If you’re already a customer, American Family can file an SR-22 on your behalf. Simply call your agent and have this info ready.

  • Your American Family Insurance policy number.
  • Information about your violation.
  • The date your license was suspension
  • How long you’re expected to file for an SR-22.

What if I’m not an American Family Insurance customer?

If you’re insured elsewhere, you could qualify for a policy with American Family, even if you require an SR-22.

Note that American Family offers auto insurance in only 19 states.

Compare other providers that provide SR-22 insurance

Name Product Roadside assistance Accident forgiveness Payment schedule States served
The General
12 months, monthly
All states except HI MA MI and NJ
Snag affordable coverage for high-risk drivers, a marketing claim backed by our rate analysis which showed premiums less than $80 a month.
12 months, 6 months, Quarterly, monthly (fee applies)
High-risk drivers can steer into savings from discounts and payment options like reduced premiums with a down payment.
National Auto
National Auto
Depends on provider
All 50 states

Compare up to 4 providers

Will American Family raise my premiums if I file for an SR-22?

Insurance companies consider your age, driving history and other factors when determining your premium costs.

But SR-22s are typically required after you’re convicted of violations like a DUI or driving without insurance. Because you’re considered a high-risk driver, you could see an increase in your American Family premiums.

Contact your American Family agent to see if you can mitigate these costs through discounts.

Will American Family cancel my policy if I file for an SR-22?

It’s up to American Family Insurance as to whether it cancels your policy once you’re considered a high-risk driver.

If an agent notifies you of a policy cancellation, you should have enough time to secure a new policy with another insurance company. Look into high-risk insurance providers to get started.

How long will I be required to file SR-22 documents?

Your state and driving violation determines how long you’re required to hold an SR-22. Most states require a minimum of three years, but it can be up to five or 10 years for more serious violations.

Be sure to pay your premiums on time and stay safe on the road. Any lapse in your insurance or additional violations can reset your clock on how long you’re required to hold SR-22 insurance.

What happens when I don’t need an SR-22 anymore?

In most states, your local DMV will let you know when you no longer need an SR-22. Once you receive notice, reach out to your American Family agent.

Once you’re agent confirms the information with your state, they will remove the SR-22 from your policy. You’ll likely see a drop in your premium, but ask your agent to re-evaluate the rates you qualify for.

What if I don’t have a car?

If you need an SR-22 but don’t own a car, you could still require non-owner insurance to legally get back on the road.

A non-owner SR-22 covers you, and not the car you’re driving. Your American Family may offer non-owner insurance, depending on where you live. Call your agent to find out.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site