We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
How to claim money remaining on your travel card
Home from vacation and have some cash left on your travel money card? Learn how to put it back in your pocket.
So you didn’t get the time to shop as much as you’d planned and you’ve still got preloaded foreign currency leftover on your travel money card. All isn’t lost — you can still get that money back.
How to get the remaining funds off your travel money card
The Travelex Travel Card:
You can close your card at any distribution outlet or call Card Services to move you remaining funds to your bank account for an extra fee of $20. It’s important to note that the Travelex Travel Card card attracts a monthly inactivity fee of $3 after 12 months of no usage, which can slowly chip away at your balance.
Some mistakes to avoid with leftover funds in your travel card
If you have money left over on your travel card, be sure to take note of and avoid the following possible pitfalls:
- Leaving your card open. If you’re not traveling anytime soon, you should withdraw your funds and close the account. Otherwise, you’ll have to pay an inactivity fee.
- Expired cards. Most providers send a heads up email to remind you of your card’s expiration date. If you’re done using it, request to close the account. Failure to do so will result in unclaimed money.
- Unclaimed funds. If you think there may be some of your money floating around in the abyss, you can run a free search of all unclaimed funds on MissingMoney.com or USA.gov.
It is important to understand the rules and conditions of your travel card. Depending on the fees and limits set by your provider, it may make more sense to withdraw the remaining funds and close the account.Back to top
Compare prepaid travel money cards
Why we like: Travelex Money Card
Load GBP, EUR, CAD, AUD, JPY or MXN onto this prepaid travel money card and use it at millions of locations worldwide.
- Not linked to your bank account for safety.
- Convert currency with a 5.50% Foreign Exchange Fee
- Contactless payments
- Reload, withdraw, or replace your card for free.
Ask an Expert