Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to cancel Allstate car insurance
It’s easy to cancel your Allstate auto insurance by phone, mail or in person.
Whether you found a better rate elsewhere or you don’t need auto insurance coverage, it’s easy to cancel your policy with Allstate. When cancelling your policy, you have options.
What's in this guide?
- Can I cancel my Allstate car insurance policy anytime?
- How do I cancel my policy?
- Cancel by phone
- Cancel by mail
- Cancel in person
- What's the best way to cancel Allstate insurance?
- What should I consider before canceling my policy with Allstate?
- Ready to cancel? Compare Allstate to other providers
- Bottom line
- FAQs about canceling Allstate
Can I cancel my Allstate car insurance policy anytime?
Allstate suggests the best way to cancel your policy is by calling an agent. Your agent may ask for a written request to cancel.
According to Allstate’s agency standards, you can cancel your policy at any time, and you don’t need to prove you have new coverage. However, if you are continuing to drive your car, state laws will require you not to have a lapse in coverage. Make sure you notify Allstate and don’t just stop paying your insurance premium or you could face higher future premiums from a lapse in coverage.
How do I avoid paying Allstate’s cancellation fee?
Allstate generally doesn’t charge cancellation fees, but this depends on the laws in your state. Allstate offers prorated refunds, meaning you’ll receive a refund for any unused days.
However, if your state laws call for cancellation fees, they’re deducted from your refund. You can avoid an early cancellation fee by waiting until your policy comes up for renewal to cancel.
How do I cancel my policy?
Allstate’s website is straightforward but lacks the flexibility to cancel your policy online. You can add, change and drop parts of your coverage through Allstate’s online platform or app, but you cannot cancel. If you want to cancel outright, you’ll need to call an agent, send a written notice or, in some cases, both.
Info you’ll need to cancel your policy
- Your name, address and phone number
- Your Social Security number and date of birth
- Your policy info
- The date and time you want your policy to end
- Your dated signature
- Your new insurer’s name, policy number and start date for your new policy, OR
- Bill of sale, plate forfeiture, etc. if you’ve sold your car
Cancel by phone
- Call your agent directly, or call the help line directly at 800-255-7828.
- Provide plate forfeiture or bill of sale, or your new insurance details, if you’re required to.
- Phone cancellations are usually effective immediately, but ask for confirmation to prevent any fees or complications.
- Ask your agent if you need to submit written notice to Allstate and/or to the DMV.
Cancel by mail
Your agent will inform you if you need a signed document to cancel your auto insurance policy. Mail your letter at least two weeks before you intended to cancel, leaving time for shipping and processing.
Send your letter to your agent or the following address:
Allstate Insurance Company
PO Box 660598
Cancel in person
Allstate has branches and agents all across the country, making it easy to cancel your coverage in person. Call your agent or call the help line at 800-255-7828 if you’re having trouble. Bring all of your information and documentation to prevent any delays.
What’s the best way to cancel Allstate insurance?
The quickest way to cancel your policy is to call your agent. However, you might get a sales pitch to stay with the provider. If this is something you’d like to avoid, then you might want to mail in a written request. But you still might be contacted by Allstate to confirm cancellation.
Some people feel more comfortable with a face-to-face meeting to confirm everything is in order. If this is you, head down to your agent’s office to cancel your policy.
Cancel your insurance the easy way
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
What should I consider before canceling my policy with Allstate?
- Does your state require you to prove you have new insurance? It is illegal to drive without car insurance, so make sure there is no lapse in your coverage by having new car insurance in place before canceling your current policy.
- When is the best time to cancel or switch providers? Life changes like getting married, buying a house or having a baby might be good times to shop around for a new policy. Or toward the end of the policy, because you might get new member discounts at another provider.
- How much time do I need to switch policies? If you’re cancelling by phone or in person, cancellation is usually effective immediately. But if you are mailing in a written request, give yourself enough time for Allstate to receive and process your letter.
Should I cancel or adjust my policy?
If you’ve had a bad experience and are no longer happy with your provider, cancelling outright could be the option for you. Or if you are looking to save money, you might be offered new customer discounts at another provider.
However, there are benefits to staying with your provider and adjusting your policy. Allstate offers discounts and insurance policies for different stages of life. If you call to cancel, ask the agent about what policies, discounts and options are available for you.
Ready to cancel? Compare Allstate to other providers
Cancelling car insurance doesn’t have to be hard. Choose the method that works best for you and then compare all of your car insurance options to find the right provider for you.
FAQs about canceling Allstate
Ask an Expert