Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
How to buy Opium (OPIUM)
Learn how to buy Opium (OPIUM) in our step-by-step guide.
Where to buy Opium
It looks like OPIUM may not be available to purchase on an exchange in the US.
You can still purchase OPIUM by using a decentralized exchange (DEX) instead. Decentralized exchanges are web applications that run on blockchains like Ethereum and allow users to trade any asset directly with one another.
Decentralized exchanges (DEX) are unregulated and run using autonomous pieces of code known as smart contracts. To use a DEX you must interact with the blockchain directly, which is not recommended for novice users. Please learn about decentralized exchanges first if you're unfamiliar.
How to purchase OPIUM using a decentralized exchange.
- Find OPIUM on a decentralized exchange and make sure Opium can be traded for ETH which is the native asset of Ethereum. Popular DEXs include Uniswap, SushiSwap and 1INCH.
- Buy ETH to trade for OPIUM using an exchange like Gemini. You will need to purchase enough ETH to swap for OPIUM as well as ETH to pay for transaction fees on the Ethereum network (known as gas). You can use a service like Etherscan to get an idea of how much gas fees currently cost.
- Transfer the ETH into a web 3.0 wallet like MetaMask to connect to the DEX.
- Trade ETH for OPIUM on the DEX of your choice, following the instructions on screen. Make sure to leave enough ETH in your wallet to pay for gas.
- Wait for the transaction to finalize and the OPIUM tokens will arrive in your wallet.
- You may now keep the tokens in your web 3.0 wallet or transfer them somewhere more secure like a hardware wallet.
You can follow the same process when you want to sell your tokens, or come back to this page to see if they can now be traded on an exchange in the US.
Best Opium wallets to store your OPIUM
You can keep your OPIUM on the exchange you purchased it on, or move it to a personal wallet:
- Some people like to use their own wallets to guarantee total ownership over their assets, or to use them with other applications like DeFi services.
- Hardware wallets are typically considered to be the safest type of cryptocurrency wallet, as they use a physical device to enhance security in a number of ways. You can learn more about wallets and compare them with our comprehensive guide.
Is Opium a good investment?Cryptocurrencies are highly volatile assets that come with a number of risks. Before you make an investment decision, it is essential to understand the factors that could impact the price of the cryptocurrency. You may want to consider the following before investing in OPIUM:
- Simplicity of use: The user is only required to choose the ticker (instrument) they want to trade, and the rest is managed by the ecosystem, which creates the contract and trades until the expiration of the contract.
- Controlled risk: As the user provides collateral in the form of margin for the contract, the risk and return are capped based on the fixed initial margin until the derivative contract matures. This mitigates tail risk for users and makes the instruments dynamic as they can be designed to suit different risk appetites.
- Trading risk: The user must be cautious as sometimes the ticker can be corrupted. You may want to stick to the tickers created by notable projects, which can be easily found on the “Derivative Explorer” page. The most popular derivative products have already been created by Opium, including futures, options and collateral debt swaps (CDS).
- Opium insurance: The platform also offers tradable insurance to insure against smart-contract hacking or against a stablecoin default. The insurance can be bought or sold at any time as per the user’s need.
Additional information about Opium can be found using our OPIUM analysis tools.
Today's Opium price versus ATH
Compare today's price of Opium ($0.172013 USD) against its all-time-high price of $23.01 USD on 04 February 2021. The closer the bar is to 100%, the closer OPIUM is to reaching its ATH again.
ATH date: February 04, 2021
Opium ATH: $23.01
How to trade, convert or sell OpiumYou can convert or sell your OPIUM with the same exchange you bought it through:
- Sign in to the exchange you have OPIUM on.
- If you store your Opium in a digital wallet, compare crypto exchanges to convert or sell it on.
- Choose Sell or Convert and place a sell order.
- Choose the amount of OPIUM you'd like to convert or sell.
- Confirm the sell price and fees and close your sale of Opium.
- Complete your transaction and move your OPIUM to a wallet for storage.
Disclaimer: Cryptocurrencies, including Opium, are speculative, complex and involve significant risks – they are highly volatile and sensitive to secondary activity. Performance is unpredictable and past performance of OPIUM is no guarantee of future performance. Consider your own circumstances, and obtain your own advice, before relying on this information. You should also verify the nature of any product or service (including its legal status and relevant regulatory requirements) and consult the relevant Regulators' websites before making any decision. Finder, or the author, may have holdings in the Opium or any other cryptocurrency discussed.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Terra Luna Classic (LUNC)
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Terra Luna Classic, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on (LUNC).
Terra Luna Classic (LUNC) price, chart, coin profile and news
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Terra Luna Classic, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on LUNC.
Terra (LUNA) price prediction
Read our expert analysis on Terra and how the token will perform in the future.
Wrapped Terra Classic (LUNC) price prediction
Read our expert analysis on Wrapped Terra Classic and how the token will perform in the future.
tBTC (TBTC) price prediction
Read our expert analysis on tBTC and how the token will perform in the future.
Shping (SHPING) price prediction
Read our expert analysis on Shping and how the token will perform in the future.
Orca (ORCA) price prediction
Read our expert analysis on Orca and how the token will perform in the future.
Pawtocol (UPI) price prediction
Read our expert analysis on Pawtocol and how the token will perform in the future.
Measurable Data (MDT) price prediction
Read our expert analysis on Measurable Data and how the token will perform in the future.
Moss Carbon Credit (MCO2) price prediction
Read our expert analysis on Moss Carbon Credit and how the token will perform in the future.
Ask an Expert