Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
How to buy Moonbeam (GLMR)
Learn how to buy Moonbeam (GLMR) in our step-by-step guide.
Moonbeam (GLMR) is in the top 1,000 cryptocurrencies by market cap, valued at $244,557,115.
Moonbeam is a highly volatile asset capable of major price swings in a single day. Today GLMR is trading for $0.408882, which is slightly down from yesterday's trading price of $0.4178356753. Moonbeam's seen a decrease of -86% over the past year.
So before you buy Moonbeam, make sure you understand these unique risks as well as its legal, regulatory and tax status here in the US.
If you're ready to get started, read on for step-by-step instructions and a list of platforms you can use to buy Moonbeam.
How to buy Moonbeam in 4 steps
The whole process can take as little as 15 minutes and all you'll need is a smartphone or computer, an internet connection, photo identification and a means of payment.
Compare crypto exchangesThe easiest way to buy Moonbeam is from a cryptocurrency exchange. Comparing in the table below lets you find one with the features you want such as low fees, ease of use or 24-hour customer support.
Create an accountTo create an account on an exchange, you will need to verify your email address and identity. Have some photo ID and your phone ready.
Make a depositOnce verified, you can deposit using the payment method that best suits you – bank transfer, credit card, cryptocurrency and debit card payments are widely accepted.
Buy MoonbeamYou can now exchange your funds for Moonbeam. On easier-to-use exchanges, this is as simple as entering the amount you want to purchase and clicking buy. If you like, you can now withdraw your Moonbeam to your personal wallet.
Where to buy Moonbeam
Find an exchange to buy, sell and trade GLMR by comparing deposit methods, supported fiat currencies and fees. Select Go to site to sign up directly with the provider.
How we keep this Moonbeam guide up-to-date
- GLMR price data is regularly updated through data feeds so you always have the latest information.
- Moonbeam performance data is regularly updated using automated comparisons and AI systems built by our technical experts Zak Killermann and Helen Hu.
- Key information on coins and how to buy them is regularly reviewed by our editorial team of James Edwards, Frank Corva and Billy Endres.
- Our coin coverage and exchange information is regularly reviewed by our publishing experts Louise Vinciguerra and Molly Wiltshire-Bridle.
How do I find the best places to buy Moonbeam?
Cryptocurrency exchanges offer similar services, but differ in a few key ways – mainly fees, the range of cryptos available and payment methods. You can use our table to compare the features of popular cryptocurrency exchanges available in to help you choose the one that's right for you.
Some other factors you may want to consider are customer support, user reviews, ease of use and whether or not the exchange is registered with a local regulator. This information can be found by clicking on the exchange name in the table which will take you to its review page.
What will I need to buy Moonbeam?
To create an account on any cryptocurrency exchange you will need an email address. Some exchanges may also ask for a phone number and photo ID, so it's a good idea to have those ready.
An increasing number of cryptocurrency exchanges will ask to verify your identity before you can deposit funds and start trading Moonbeam.
- This process is known as Know Your Customer (KYC) and usually requires photo ID and a webcam or smartphone. You may also need to prove your address by uploading a copy of a recent bank statement or utility bill.
- Some exchanges allow you to deposit and trade cryptocurrencies without passing KYC, but they will not allow you to transfer local currency from your bank account. So if you are planning on purchasing GLMR with your local currency then you will need to pass KYC.
- Once you have verified your identity, it is a good idea to enable 2-factor authentication (2FA) before depositing any funds. This will increase the security of your account and help keep your funds safe.
What are the best ways to buy Moonbeam?
Once you've created an account, you will need to deposit funds to buy GLMR with. You can either deposit local currency from a bank account or credit card, or transfer cryptocurrency from another exchange or wallet. Here are some popular ways to to buy GLMR:
- Bank account: Transfers from local bank accounts are usually free, but you will need to double-check this with the exchange you choose – this information can be found in our table by clicking on 'view details'.
- Credit or debit card: Linking a card to your account is another convenient way to top up your account, but be aware that it usually attracts an additional fee. An advantage, though, is that you can use a card to make instant purchases or set up a recurring purchase.
- Cryptocurrency: You can usually purchase GLMR by trading it for another cryptocurrency like Bitcoin or a stablecoin. This varies between exchanges though, so you will need to search for GLMR on the spot market to see what cryptocurrencies it can be traded for.
What is the easiest way to buy Moonbeam?
The easiest way to buy GLMR is by placing an 'instant buy' order to purchase it for a fixed price but not all crypto exchanges offer this feature.
Alternatively, you can open a trade on the spot market which allows you to set your own price – this is the most common way to purchase cryptocurrency. Using the instant buy feature is straightforward but typically more expensive than using the spot market.
Best Moonbeam wallets to store your GLMR
You can keep your GLMR on the exchange you purchased it on, or move it to a personal wallet:
- Some people like to use their own wallets to guarantee total ownership over their assets, or to use them with other applications like DeFi services.
- Hardware wallets are typically considered to be the safest type of cryptocurrency wallet, as they use a physical device to enhance security in a number of ways. You can take a look at some of our top hardware wallet picks for self-custody of your GLMR below.
Disclaimer: This page is not financial advice or an endorsement of digital assets, providers or services. Digital assets are volatile and risky, and past performance is no guarantee of future results. Potential regulations or policies can affect their availability and services provided. Talk with a financial professional before making a decision. Finder or the author may own cryptocurrency discussed on this page.
Is Moonbeam a good investment?
All altcoin investments carry extreme risk, which is why both the token and the associated protocol should be thoroughly evaluated. Here are a few factors to consider before investing GLMR:
- First-mover advantage: Launching as the first parachain within the Polkadot ecosystem has allowed Moonbeam to integrate with a high number of decentralized applications. While this does not guarantee the project’s success, the first-mover advantage does place the project ahead of younger competitors – for now. With Moonbeam’s focus on interoperability, the protocol has entered a saturated market that consists of numerous other protocols trying to unlock interoperability issues.
- Developer friendly:The project allows developers to utilise their existing Solidity smart contracts without the need for reconfiguration. Furthermore, Moonbeam is fully compatible with a host of ETH-based tools, including MetaMask, Hardhat, Waffle, Remix and Truffle. Lastly, the ecosystem allows for seamless interactions with other Polka systems, including various oracles and cross-bridge solutions. Increased interoperability could encourage developers to utilise the protocol, which could place more demand on the GLMR coin.
- Solid team:The project is led by Derek Yoo and Stefan Mehlhorn. Yoo is a crypto-tech entrepreneur that was the CEO of PureStake (a blockchain infrastructure provider). Likewise, Stefan Mehlhorn has previously worked for a number of mainstream technology giants including Samsung Pay, Candibell Inc., LoopPay and Permessa. A strong foundational team is encouraging to see and could increase the chances of the project’s long-term success.
- Sign in to the exchange you have GLMR on.
- If you store your Moonbeam in a digital wallet, compare crypto exchanges to convert or sell it on.
- Choose Sell or Convert and place a sell order.
- Choose the amount of GLMR you'd like to convert or sell.
- Confirm the sell price and fees and close your sale of Moonbeam.
- Complete your transaction and move your GLMR to a wallet for storage.
Today's Moonbeam price versus ATH
Compare today's price of Moonbeam ($0.408882 USD) against its all-time high (ATH) price of $19.50 on January 11, 2022. The closer the bar is to 100%, the closer GLMR is to reaching its ATH again.
How do I trade, convert or sell Moonbeam?You can convert or sell your GLMR with the same exchange you bought it through:
Get started with crypto
Crypto exchanges and wallets
Learn how to buy other cryptos
Disclaimer: Cryptocurrencies are speculative, complex and involve significant risks – they are highly volatile and sensitive to secondary activity. Performance is unpredictable and past performance is no guarantee of future performance. Consider your own circumstances, and obtain your own advice, before relying on this information. You should also verify the nature of any product or service (including its legal status and relevant regulatory requirements) and consult the relevant Regulators' websites before making any decision. Finder, or the author, may have holdings in the cryptocurrencies discussed.
More guides on Finder
How to buy FTX (FTT)
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy FTX, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on FTT.
How to buy Sushi (SUSHI)
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Sushi, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on SUSHI.
How to buy UMA (UMA)
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy UMA, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on UMA.
How to buy Maker (MKR)
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Maker, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on MKR.
How to buy Serum (SRM)
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Serum, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on SRM.
How to buy Reserve Rights (RSR)
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Reserve Rights, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on RSR.
How to buy Alpha Venture DAO (ALPHA)
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Alpha Venture DAO, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on ALPHA.
How to buy Nexus Mutual (NXM)
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Nexus Mutual, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on NXM.
How to buy Voyager VGX (VGX)
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Voyager VGX, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on VGX.
How to buy Curve DAO (CRV)
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Curve DAO, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on CRV.
Ask an Expert