Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to buy Energy Web Token (EWT)
A beginner's guide to buying and selling EWT in the US.
How to buy Energy Web Token
Look for an exchange that supports both fiat and cryptocurrency to simplify buying Energy Web Token.
- Open an account on an exchange that supports EWT.
Most exchanges require an email address, phone number and proof of ID to register.
- Deposit funds into your account.
Fund your account with a bank transfer, pay with a credit or debit card or deposit cryptocurrency from a crypto wallet to buy Energy Web Token.
- Buy Energy Web Token.
Complete your Energy Web Token purchase and then find the best wallet to store EWT.
What is Energy Web Token?
Energy Web Token (EWT) is the native token developed by the Energy Web Foundation, a non-profit group that aims to use blockchain to achieve a low-carbon electricity system. It runs the Energy Web Chain, a public blockchain platform to help the energy industry meet regulatory, operational and market needs. The Energy Web Chain has partnerships with utility operators, grid operators, renewable energy companies, corporate energy buyers and others around the world. Its partners include AGL and Shell.
Launched in mid-2019, the token has two main purposes. First, it is designed to protect the network against misbehaviour. Second, it is used to compensate validators by paying them transaction fees and block validation rewards. At the moment, only energy companies that meet Energy Web Foundation’s standards can become validators on the network.
Energy Web Token (EWT) is the 131st largest cryptocurrency in the world by market cap, valued at $595,429,985. The current price of Energy Web Token is $17.810, which is -6.089% lower than yesterday. Prices have ranged between $19.030 and $17.270 over the past 24 hours. All prices are listed in US dollars and accurate as of April 19, 2021 08:04 UTC.
Where to buy Energy Web Token
Unfortunately at this time no major exchanges offer Energy Web Token. However, you may be able to purchase EWT with another cryptocurrency, just be sure you're following all legal restrictions and requirements.
Instead of buying Energy Web Token, consider buying a different cryptocurrency after comparing popular exchanges.
Energy Web Token coin priceUse our graph to track the performance of EWT over time.
Energy Web Token at a glance
|Total EWT supply||62,380,138|
|All time high||US$22.670|
|All time high date||April 17, 2021|
Energy Web Token price performance over time
How to sell Energy Web Token
You can cash out your EWT with the same exchange you bought it through:
- Sign in to the exchange you have EWT on.
If you store your Energy Web Token in a digital wallet, compare crypto exchanges to sell it on.
- Place a sell order.
Choose the amount of EWT you'd like to sell.
- Complete your transaction.
Confirm the sell price and fees and close your sale of Energy Web Token.
What to consider when buying Energy Web TokenHere are some of the things to keep in mind when deciding whether to buy EWT.
- Supply. As of April 2021, EWT has a circulating supply of approximately 30 million that are available and can readily enter the token economy. The maximum supply of EWT is scheduled to increase to 100 million over 10 years.
- Decarbonization. One of the challenges of the blockchain technology is the carbon emissions associated with the energy it consumes. It is estimated top five energy-consuming blockchains use more electricity per year than the state of New York. Energy Web is trying to move towards a zero carbon operation for all blockchains, by decarbonizing the XRP Ledger.
- Staking. In February 2021 it was announced staking would soon become available for token holders. Staked EWT earns an annual return of up to 20% if high quality services are delivered.
- Competition. There are private blockchains that work with energy operators that compete with the Energy Web Chain. However, in a recent Ask Me Anything the COO said reasons to favour a public blockchain over private blockchain might include data privacy, customer consent, decentralization and decarbonization.
Ask an Expert