Disclaimer: This page is not financial advice or an endorsement of digital assets, providers or services. Digital assets are volatile and risky, and past performance is no guarantee of future results. Potential regulations or policies can affect their availability and services provided. Talk with a financial professional before making a decision. Finder or the author may own cryptocurrency discussed on this page.
Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
How to buy cryptocurrency in Mississippi
Buying cryptocurrency in Mississippi doesn't have to be tricky — compare 10+ licensed platforms.
In Mississippi, there are multiple exchanges to choose from to buy coins like Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Bitcoin (BTC) and The Graph (GRT). Mississippi also has 320 registered Bitcoin ATMs where you can buy Bitcoin on the go, with the most popular locations being Tupelo (71 ATMs), Biloxi (50 ATMs) and Hattiesburg (33 ATMs). The most popular coin in Mississippi in 2021 was Dogecoin, as reported by FinanceBuzz. Of course, there are more than 10,000 cryptocurrencies in existence, so who knows what Mississippi's most popular coin will be next year.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Mississippi
With a personal per-capita income of $38,914 in Mississippi, choosing the right exchange and coin to purchase is a big decision. The average person in Mississippi earns the equivalent of roughly 1.93 BTC or 34.46 ETH per year. Follow these steps to buy the crypto of your choice:
Step 1: Compare exchanges.
Exchanges vary in what coins they list and wallets they support. For example, Uphold Digital Money Platform lists over 125 cryptocurrencies and Crypto.com App lists 263. Exchanges can also vary in deposit methods and fees. Confirm the platform supports any specific coins you're interested in before signing up.
Our top pick: Gemini Cryptocurrency Exchange
- Wide range of exchangeable currencies
- User friendly
- Newcomer incentives
- Insurance on currency balances up to $250k
- Balances can earn interest
- High fees on mobile app
- Missing some notable top 20 currencies
- No linked debit cards available
|Deposit Methods||Bank transfer (ACH)
|Deposit Fees||Cryptocurrency: None
Wire transfer: None
Bank transfer (ACH): None, bank fees may apply
Debit card transfer: 3.49%
|Withdrawal Fees||Cryptocurrency: None for first 10 withdrawals of each month
Other: None for first 10 withdrawals of each month
|Trading Fees||Order amount below USD 200: USD 0.99 - USD 2.99
Order amount over USD 200: 1.49%
Convenience fee: 0.50%
No matter what exchange you choose, it's important to verify that it's available in Mississippi. Some states have strict requirements, while others simply require a money transmitter license. CEX.io is not available in Mississippi, so watch out for that. Once you've settled on an exchange, you're required to complete "know your consumer" (KYC) requirements, which involves your name and proof of identification. You may also need to prove your address by uploading something like a utility bill, a bank statement or a pre-printed paystub from your employer.
General steps to signing up with an exchange include:
- Create an account
- Verify your identity, usually with government-issue ID
- Connect a digital wallet
- Deposit funds
Step 2: Choose a digital wallet.A crypto wallet, often called a digital wallet, is where you store your crypto assets, like coins and tokens. Digital wallets fall into roughly two types:
- Software. Downloadable, Internet-connected programs stored on your computer or device.
- Hardware. External, offline physical devices you plug into your computer or device to access your digital assets. Also called cold storage.
- Create an account
- Record generated seed phrase — or master password
- Connect a debit card, credit card or bank account
- Connect wallet to network required by the marketplace
Popular online wallets include Ledger, Trust Connect, MetaMask and Coinbase.
Step 3: Research coins.You've heard of crypto staples Bitcoin (BTC) and Ether (ETH), but there are literally thousands of altcoins available to invest in, with more created all the time. Other recently popular coins include Beldex (BDX), LCX (LCX), Terra (LUNA) and Umee (UMEE). Cryptocurrency is a speculative investment. Costs can vary greatly among coins and fluctuate daily, leaving room for dramatic gains and losses. Investing in the big-name coins still doesn't come with any guarantee of profit. Despite the lack of guarantee, you can still narrow down a coin that fits your needs by researching elements that include:
- Supply and scarcity. Crypto coins have limited supply, which can influence their value. Classic supply and demand.
- Market capitalization. Our in-depth coin guides include details on how a coin ranks in market value, its availability and the max number of coins expected to be issued.
- Utility and accessibility. A well-known coin that is listed on multiple exchanges, or used for crypto applications like play-to-earn games, may have more value if demand is high.
Where do I buy crypto in Mississippi?
To buy crypto in Mississippi, look for a crypto exchange that fits your needs. Consider using:
Crypto.com charges maker and taker fees for cryptocurrency trades. The fees vary depending on customer tier levels. Tiers are adjusted daily and are based on a customer's individual trading volumes incurred over the past 30 days.
- Large selection of crypto
Staking for rewards available
- Can be difficult to navigate
Customer service could be more responsive
Expensive withdrawal fees
|Fiat currencies||No supported|
eToro Cryptocurrency Trading
The eToro exchange charges 'round-trip' spreads when buying crypto assets. The spread covers the buy-and-sell side of the transaction and varies based on the asset being purchased. Current spreads vary between .75% and 2.90%
- Multi-asset exchange
Social trading features
Demo account available
- Fewer cryptocurrencies available than some exchanges
$10 account minimum
Fees vary by asset
FTX.US Cryptocurrency Exchange
- Great for beginners and experts
Lists over 30 cryptocurrencies
Fee structure is clear
Supports multiple deposit methods
- Not available in all U.S. states
Fewer coins than other exchanges
Gemini Cryptocurrency Exchange
Gemini's fees are somewhat higher than those charged on other exchanges. The platform charges as much as 1.49% on transactions over $200.
- Highly regulated
All crypto held in the exchange wallet is insured
- Higher fees than other exchanges
Limited trading pairs
Limited deposit options
Kraken Cryptocurrency Exchange
- 0.9% fee for buying stablecoins with another stablecoin or USD
- Processing fee of $0.25+3.75% fee for card purchases and digital wallet payments
- 0.5% online banking processing fee.
- Has never had a sitewide hack
Lists 80+ cryptocurrencies
Years of experience
- High fees with instant buy
Texas can't buy EUR or EUR pairs
Can't use a credit card
Requires $10 account minimum
Can I buy Bitcoin Cash (BCH) in Mississippi?
Yes, you can buy Bitcoin Cash in Mississippi using an exchange like , Gemini or Webull. We recommend exploring a list of exchanges that support Bitcoin Cash and taking a deeper dive into how to buy Bitcoin Cash.
Can I buy Bitcoin (BTC) in Mississippi?
Yes, you can buy Bitcoin in Mississippi using an exchange like Paxful, eToro or Webull. We recommend exploring a list of exchanges that support Bitcoin and taking a deeper dive into how to buy Bitcoin.
Can I buy The Graph (GRT) in Mississippi?
Yes, you can buy The Graph in Mississippi using an exchange like Paybis, eToro or Webull. We recommend exploring a list of exchanges that support The Graph and taking a deeper dive into how to buy The Graph.
Regulations around cryptocurrency in MississippiStates also vary on regulations, guidelines and financial regulatory agencies that govern cryptocurrency — despite the fact that crypto is considered decentralized finance, or DeFi.
Mississippi's regulations according to Bloomberg LawMiss. Code § 75-15-3(f) defines “monetary value” as “a medium of exchange, whether or not redeemable in money,” and Miss. Code § 75-15-3(g) defines “money transmission” to include receiving monetary value for transmission. Some virtual currency exchanges such as Binance and Coinbase maintain Mississippi money transmission licenses.
Source: Bloomberg Law
Know before you buy cryptoCryptocurrency is decentralized finance, so there isn't an authoritative entity out there looking out for you. While exchanges and digital wallets can do their best to keep things secure, you can proactively protect yourself with our top tips:
- Secure your wallet. One of the most important things you can do to protect yourself from theft or hacking is by keeping your digital wallet's keys safe. If someone gets access, you could lose your assets without much hope for recovery.
- Read the fine print. Marketplaces and exchanges often aren't liable if bad actors get access to your digital wallet or assets. Learn about the security measures in place to prevent access to your money.
- Watch out for phishing scams. No exchange will ask you to confirm the password to your wallet or keys through email or by phone. Call the company directly to ask about suspicious contacts or anything else you're not sure about.
- Reputable exchanges require ID. Signing up with a reputable exchange site typically requires you to submit such personal information as your address, SSN and email. This step is often called KYC and is required. If you skip this step, there may be legal consequences – especially if you skip it to use a non-licensed exchange.
- Cryptocurrency is volatile. Don't invest more than you can afford to lose. The value of any coin can change in a matter of seconds, spelling major losses or gains that depend on interest and how much you invest. Learn more about the fundamentals of cryptocurrency to better equip yourself in this volatile market.
More guides on Finder
How to invest in Ethereum
Interested in Ethereum? Find 5 strategies to invest in the cryptocurrency.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Puerto Rico
How to start buying and investing in cryptocurrency in Puerto Rico.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Wyoming
Wyoming may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legal in Wyoming.
How to buy cryptocurrency in West Virginia
West Virginia may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legal in West Virginia.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Wisconsin
Wisconsin may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legal in Wisconsin.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Washington
Washington may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legal in Washington.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Virginia
Virginia may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legal in Virginia.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Vermont
Vermont may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legal in Vermont.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Utah
Utah may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legal in Utah.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Tennessee
Tennessee may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legal in Tennessee.
Ask an Expert