Disclaimer: This page is not financial advice or an endorsement of digital assets, providers or services. Digital assets are volatile and risky, and past performance is no guarantee of future results. Potential regulations or policies can affect their availability and services provided. Talk with a financial professional before making a decision. Finder or the author may own cryptocurrency discussed on this page.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Indiana
Buying cryptocurrency in Indiana doesn't have to be tricky — compare -1+ licensed platforms.
In Indiana, there are multiple exchanges to choose from to buy coins like Bitcoin (BTC), Harmony (ONE) and Basic Attention (BAT). Indiana also has 853 registered Bitcoin ATMs where you can buy Bitcoin on the go, with the most popular locations being Indianapolis (493 ATMs), Indianapolis (493 ATMs) and Fort Wayne (80 ATMs). The most popular coin in Indiana in 2021 was Dogecoin, as reported by FinanceBuzz. Of course, there are more than 10,000 cryptocurrencies in existence, so who knows what Indiana's most popular coin will be next year.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Indiana
With a personal per-capita income of $48,678 in Indiana, choosing the right exchange and coin to purchase is a big decision. The average person in Indiana earns the equivalent of roughly 1.83 BTC or 30.54 ETH per year. Follow these steps to buy the crypto of your choice:
Step 1: Compare exchanges.
Exchanges vary in what coins they list and wallets they support. For example, eToro USA LLC Cryptocurrency Trading lists over 79 cryptocurrencies and Robinhood Crypto lists 14. Exchanges can also vary in deposit methods and fees. Confirm the platform supports any specific coins you're interested in before signing up.
Our top pick: Kraken Cryptocurrency Exchange
- Established crypto exchange that’s served customers for over a decade
- Supports over 200 crypto assets
- Provides resources for both beginner and advanced traders
- Registered as a Money Service Business (MSB) and is FinCEN compliant
- Offers futures contracts and margin for trades
- Not available to residents of New York and Washington state
- No longer offers its staking service to US residents
If you’re new to crypto investing, Kraken’s simple and intuitive user interface makes it easy for you to open an account and make your first crypto purchase. And Kraken’s Learn center helps you better understand the complex terminology that surrounds crypto.
If you’re a seasoned crypto investor, you’ll benefit from using Kraken Pro — the exchange’s advanced trading platform, which lets you trade over 200 crypto assets with low trading fees and a customizable trading interface. Kraken Pro also offers futures contracts as well as up to 5x leverage for trades.
|Deposit Methods||Bank transfer
ACH online banking
|Deposit Fees||ACH deposit - Fees vary ($10 minimum deposit)
Credit and debit card - Fees vary ($10 minimum deposit)
Apple Pay or Google Pay - Fees vary ($10 minimum deposit)
Crypto - Free
|Withdrawal Fees||FedWire withdrawal - $4-$35
Crypto - Fees vary depending on coin or token
|Trading Fees||Maker: 0-0.16%
No matter what exchange you choose, it's important to verify that it's available in Indiana. Some states have strict requirements, while others simply require a money transmitter license. partner is not available in Indiana, so watch out for that. Once you've settled on an exchange, you're required to complete "know your consumer" (KYC) requirements, which involves your name and proof of identification. You may also need to prove your address by uploading something like a lease, a credit card statement or a government benefits statement.
General steps to signing up with an exchange include:
- Create an account
- Verify your identity, usually with government-issue ID
- Connect a digital wallet
- Deposit funds
Step 2: Choose a digital wallet.A crypto wallet, often called a digital wallet, is where you store your crypto assets, like coins and tokens. Digital wallets fall into roughly two types:
- Software. Downloadable, Internet-connected programs stored on your computer or device.
- Hardware. External, offline physical devices you plug into your computer or device to access your digital assets. Also called cold storage.
- Create an account
- Record generated seed phrase — or master password
- Connect a debit card, credit card or bank account
- Connect wallet to network required by the marketplace
Popular online wallets include Ledger, Trust Connect, MetaMask and Coinbase.
Step 3: Research coins.You've heard of crypto staples Bitcoin (BTC) and Ether (ETH), but there are literally thousands of altcoins available to invest in, with more created all the time. Other recently popular coins include BitMart (BMX), Bella Protocol (BEL), Bitcoin (BTC) and Chainlink (LINK). Cryptocurrency is a speculative investment. Costs can vary greatly among coins and fluctuate daily, leaving room for dramatic gains and losses. Investing in the big-name coins still doesn't come with any guarantee of profit. Despite the lack of guarantee, you can still narrow down a coin that fits your needs by researching elements that include:
- Supply and scarcity. Crypto coins have limited supply, which can influence their value. Classic supply and demand.
- Market capitalization. Our in-depth coin guides include details on how a coin ranks in market value, its availability and the max number of coins expected to be issued.
- Node count. Nodes are how many participants there are in a blockchain network. Nodes all work together to verify transactions — the more nodes, the better.
Where do I buy crypto in Indiana?
To buy crypto in Indiana, look for a crypto exchange that fits your needs. Consider using:
eToro USA LLC Cryptocurrency Trading
Finder rating 4 / 5 ★★★★★
- Tiered membership benefits. You obtain different benefits on eToro by keeping different dollar amounts of fiat currency plus equity on the platform. Benefits include access to customer success agents and a subscription to The Wall Street Journal, among others.
- Crypto on eToro is not insured. The crypto that you leave in eToro’s custody isn’t insured. This means that if eToro goes insolvent or is hacked, you will have little recourse to retrieve your digital assets.
Finder rating 4 / 5 ★★★★★
- Reputable investment app
- $0 fees to buy and sell
- No account minimum
- 7 coins available only
- Can't withdraw crypto directly from app
Coinbase Digital Currency Exchange
Finder rating 4 / 5 ★★★★★
Coinbase has over 80 cryptocurrencies available, including Dogecoin (DOGE) and Shiba Inu (SHIB). Transaction fees are calculated using a combination of factors, including your payment method, the order size and varying market conditions, like volatility.
- Learn and earn program. Earn coins and tokens by watching tutorials and answering crypto-related questions.
- Offers crypto rewards Visa debit card. You can earn crypto just by spending your fiat via a debit card as you normally would when you use Coinbase’s Visa debit card.
- Transaction fees vary
- Minimum balances apply
- Customer service ratings remain poor in platform reviews
SoFi Invest Crypto
Finder rating 4.5 / 5 ★★★★★
- $0 account minimum
- 28 coins available
- Reputable exchange
- Can't transfer crypto out of SoFi
- 1.25% markup fee
Paybis Cryptocurrency Exchange
- Lists 36 cryptocurrencies
- Multiple fiat currencies supported
- Five deposit methods
- 24/7 customer support
- Fees high and vary
- Can only sell BTC
- No supported crypto pairs
- Unavailable in New York and Hawaii
How to buy Bitcoin (BTC) in Indiana?
To buy Bitcoin in Indiana, you will first need to sign up for an exchange like Public, Coinmama or SoFi. Different exchanges support different payment methods and cryptocurrencies. We have detailed instructions on how to buy Bitcoin which covers how to pick an exchange, payment methods, wallets and more.
Can I buy Harmony (ONE) in Indiana?
Yes, you can buy Harmony in Indiana using an exchange like Public, Coinmama or SoFi. We recommend exploring a list of exchanges that support Harmony and taking a deeper dive into how to buy Harmony.
Can I buy Basic Attention (BAT) in Indiana?
Yes, you can buy Basic Attention in Indiana using an exchange like Public, Coinmama or SoFi. We recommend exploring a list of exchanges that support Basic Attention and taking a deeper dive into how to buy Basic Attention.
Regulations around cryptocurrency in IndianaStates also vary on regulations, guidelines and financial regulatory agencies that govern cryptocurrency — despite the fact that crypto is considered decentralized finance, or DeFi.
Indiana's regulations according to Bloomberg LawThe definition of money transmission in Ind. Code § 28-8-4-13 does not expressly mention virtual assets and may exclude virtual assets, including virtual currency, if sold for any purpose other than immediately facilitating a payment. According to the Indiana money transmitter licensing FAQ on NMLS , a virtual currency exchange does not generally require a money transmitter license.
Source: Bloomberg Law
Know before you buy cryptoCryptocurrency is decentralized finance, so there isn't an authoritative entity out there looking out for you. While exchanges and digital wallets can do their best to keep things secure, you can proactively protect yourself with our top tips:
- Secure your wallet. One of the most important things you can do to protect yourself from theft or hacking is by keeping your digital wallet's keys safe. If someone gets access, you could lose your assets without much hope for recovery.
- Read the fine print. Marketplaces and exchanges often aren't liable if bad actors get access to your digital wallet or assets. Learn about the security measures in place to prevent access to your money.
- Watch out for phishing scams. No exchange will ask you to confirm the password to your wallet or keys through email or by phone. Call the company directly to ask about suspicious contacts or anything else you're not sure about.
- Reputable exchanges require ID. Signing up with a reputable exchange site typically requires you to submit such personal information as your address, SSN and email. This step is often called KYC and is required. If you skip this step, there may be legal consequences – especially if you skip it to use a non-licensed exchange.
- Cryptocurrency is volatile. Don't invest more than you can afford to lose. The value of any coin can change in a matter of seconds, spelling major losses or gains that depend on interest and how much you invest. Learn more about the fundamentals of cryptocurrency to better equip yourself in this volatile market.
Are you visiting from outside the US?
More guides on Finder
How to buy cryptocurrency in Puerto Rico
How to start buying and investing in cryptocurrency in Puerto Rico.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Wyoming
Wyoming may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legally in Wyoming.
How to buy cryptocurrency in West Virginia
West Virginia may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legally in West Virginia.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Wisconsin
Wisconsin may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legally in Wisconsin.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Washington
Washington may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legally in Washington.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Virginia
Virginia may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legally in Virginia.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Vermont
Vermont may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legally in Vermont.
How to buy cryptocurrency in South Dakota
South Dakota may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legally in South Dakota.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Hawaii
The Aloha State restricts crypto somewhat, but Hawaiians still have plenty of exchanges to choose from.
How to buy cryptocurrency in New York
New York has regulations surrounding crypto, but you can still buy cryptocurrency.
Ask an Expert