Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How does Postmates work?
Food, alcohol and household staples quickly delivered to your door.
This popular delivery service lets you place online orders from local restaurants, fast-food chains, pharmacies and more. Get fast same-day delivery — usually well under an hour, though timing varies.
How does Postmates work?
You can use Postmates’ website or mobile app to place orders for food, alcohol and household items from stores in your area. A Postmates delivery driver will then deliver your order directly to your door as quickly as possible.
What is Postmates Unlimited?
A paid membership service that gives you access to unlimited free deliveries over a specific amount that varies by location. If you’ve never tried Postmates Unlimited before, you can try a free trial for seven days.
Postmates Unlimited costs $9.99 per month — or $99.99 per year.
How to use Postmates
To place an order through Postmates:
- Enter your delivery ZIP code on the Postmates website or mobile app.
- Click the store you’d like to order from on the list of available stores.
- Add specific items to your cart, then click Checkout when you’re done ordering.
- You’ll be prompted to log into your Postmates account or create a new one for free.
- When creating a new account, you’ll enter your phone number, then enter a confirmation code sent via text to your phone. You’ll receive a text when your order is out for delivery.
- Complete the checkout process.
How much does Postmates cost?
Can I get free delivery?
Yes — sign up for a free seven-day trial of Postmates Unlimited by clicking the Try Unlimited for free button on its website or app to get free delivery on your first few orders. Once the free trial is up, you will automatically be billed for a Postmates Unlimited subscription unless you cancel it.
Delivery fees vary by location, but are generally around $5. Expect to pay more for delivery from stores and restaurants that are farther away from you.
- Delivery fees increase during “Postmates blitz” hours, when delivery demand is high. These hours can vary, but you’ll be notified if you place an order during peak hours.
Is there a service fee?
Yes. A service fee will be added to your order total at checkout. This is a percentage-based fee that varies by location and purchase amount.
Should I tip my Postmates delivery driver?
The Postmates platform suggests a 10% – 20% tip at checkout. You can also change your tip amount within ten hours of receiving your delivery. According to the Postmates website, 100% of all tips go directly to the Postmates delivery driver.
How do returns work?
Postmates isn’t obligated to offer refunds or returns. The company recommends that you get in touch directly with the merchant if there’s a problem with your order or you’d like to return an item.
If you’re unable to reach the merchant or resolve an issue, you can contact Postmates customer support online for assistance.
Postmates isn’t available in my area. Now what?
If Postmates isn’t available for delivery in your area, click the Pick-up option on the screen once you’ve entered your ZIP code. In some areas, pickup may be available. Otherwise, you can contact Postmates to let them know you’d like to see delivery options in your area.
Which stores offer Postmates delivery?
The list of stores varies by location. Many local restaurants, chains and big-box stores are available in cities across the country. Enter your delivery ZIP code on the Postmates website or mobile app to view a full list of stores that offer Postmates delivery.
Why should I shop with Postmates?
- Fast delivery. Order food, alcohol, pantry items and more from stores near you and have them delivered to your door usually in under an hour.
- Free trial of Postmates Unlimited. Snag free delivery on your first few orders.
- Referral program. Earn cash off your next order when a friend signs up for Postmates with your referral link.
- Steep fees. Some customers report steep service fees, as well as spiked delivery charges during peak hours.
- Poor customer service. Lots of complaints online detail late deliveries, missing items and overall poor customer service.
What do customers say about this service?
TrustPilot reviews for Postmates are riddled with complaints of late deliveries, missing or wrong items and issues getting refunds. If you have a problem with your order, your best bet is to contact the store directly rather than going through Postmates’ customer service.
There are a handful of positive reviews for this service. And some Postmates delivery drivers have spoken out against the negativity, explaining that orders can take longer than expected during peak times.
Postmates is becoming available in a growing list of cities across the country, offering speedy delivery of food, alcohol and other items directly to your door. Remember that delivery times can vary, and you might have to wait longer than expected if you’re ordering during a busy time of day.Start shopping now
Ask an Expert