Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Aflac insurance: Is it any good?
If your regular insurance doesn't cover all costs, Aflac's supplemental insurance can help fill the gap.
It’s rare to find a major healthcare policy that covers 100% of medical costs. Aflac offers supplemental products that help relieve the leftover strain through lump-sum payments deposited directly into your account. And, if you want a full-on traditional life or employer disability policy, Aflac covers that too.
What is Aflac?
If the voice in your mind sounds like a duck when you think Aflac, you’re not alone. The company’s quack-quack mascot is well-recognized, but Aflac’s actual services may be less understood.
Most Aflac policies act as a sidekick to your regular insurance policy. These supplemental policies are meant to provide a safety net to fill in the gaps of your health insurance or other insurance, so that when the unexpected happens, it’ll be less of a jolt to your financial situation.
Supplemental insurance policies
Since these policies aren’t comprehensive, any policy you consider from Aflac should be gravy on top of your meat-and-potatoes health coverage. Aflac doesn’t deal directly with medical providers, favoring a direct payment to your bank account instead.
- Critical illness
Supplemental insurance explained
Supplemental insurance operates around the theory that major medical coverage doesn’t usually cover the full cost of treatment. Deductibles, copayments and coinsurance, medication costs and other out-of-pocket costs (think child care, lost wages, and transportation) are often left up to you. Supplemental coverage swoops in with a lump sum paid directly to you to help foot the outstanding bill. Lump-sums payment amounts are typically specified using a pre-determined fee-schedule laid out in your policy.
Comprehensive insurance policies
Aflac offers two types of policies that can act as a stand-alone insurance policy.
- Employer-based short-term disability
- Life insurance
How does Aflac work?
Once you file a claim and are approved, you’ll receive the payout associated with your policy. How you receive your payout will depend on which type of insurance you have through Aflac.
Payment for supplemental coverages
Once you file a claim, you’ll receive cash benefits that are paid directly to you. Your cash benefit will be based on a fee schedule determined in your policy. A fee schedule specifies how much Aflac is willing to pay per situation, and per occurrence.
For example, let’s say your accident policy lists a lump sum payment of $200 for a major diagnostic exam. After a bad fall, your doctor orders you to have a CT scan to confirm if you’ve broken your foot. Regardless of what your health insurance covers, you’re eligible to receive a lump-sum payment of $200. That $200 might help pay for your health insurance copay or prescriptions that aren’t covered by your health insurance, for example.
Payment for comprehensive coverages
Aflac’s comprehensive policies each work a little differently when it comes to receiving your benefit.
- Term life. If you have term life insurance and die during your specified term, your loved ones will receive a one-time lump sum payment.
- Whole life. This type of life insurance policy lasts your entire lifetime and has two parts. A death benefit will be paid out to your beneficiaries when you die. Your saving component, called cash value, can be withdrawn while you’re alive.
- Short-term disability. If you have disability insurance through your employer, and suffer a covered injury or illness that leaves you unable to work — Aflac will pay you a percentage of your monthly salary for the amount of time specified in your policy.
Pros and cons of Aflac
- No medical exam policies. If you’re a high-risk applicant or just want to opt-out of taking a medical exam, Aflac has plenty of guaranteed issue policies to choose from.
- Speedy payouts. If you’re filing a covered claim via Aflacs smartclaim process, you’re likely to receive a quick payout, typically within an average of 2 days.
- Fortune 500 company. Being a fortune 500 company signals financial strength, and the ability to pay out claims.
- Limited flexibility. Since most policies are supplemental coverage options or offered through an employer, you won’t be able to customize your policy for a tailor-made fit.
- Confusing website. Aflac’s website has a lot of information, however, there are no specific details about benefit levels or add-ons. You’ll have to contact the company to review your benefit options.
How do I get a quote for Aflac insurance?
If the company you work for offers Aflac coverage, you can add it through your workplace. But if you want to buy it independently — or you own a business and want to offer it to employees — you’ll need to start by requesting a quote:
- Go to Aflac’s website and hit Get a Quote.
- Indicate whether you’re An Individual or A Business Owner.
- Aflac will ask for your contact information, including your name, phone number, ZIP code and email. Then click NEXT.
- The next page, Call Time, will give you an estimate for when an agent will be in touch. Click SUBMIT to give them the green light.
An agent will be in touch to discuss your options for supplemental insurance.
Compare life insurance companies like Aflac
With Aflac’s supplemental coverage, you’re paying for peace of mind in the event of an unexpected illness or medical need. It also offers insurance to help with loss of wages or end-of-life costs, including guaranteed-issue options.
Scout other life insurance providers to make sure you’re getting the best fit for you.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
UNest provides robo-advising for your child’s investment account for a monthly fee.
Moving expenses deduction for 2020-2021
Learn what the moving expenses deduction is, how to claim it on your taxes and more.
Lemonade car insurance review for 2021
Safe drivers and electric car owners could see cheap rates, but its claims process isn’t perfect.
How much does umbrella insurance cost?
Get a low-cost policy for liability expenses that exceed your car or home insurance coverage.
What happens to my home loan if I die?
Learn about what will happen to your home loan when you die and how to avoid any nasty situations with some pre-planning.
Best umbrella insurance
Receive extra liability coverage with an umbrella policy from these top insurers, though they may require you to have car insurance through them.
Different types of mortgage loans
A 101 guide covering the types of mortgage loans every homebuyer should know.
Guardian vision insurance review May 2021
Get a generous allowance to put towards contact lenses or frames with this plan.
Millions of Americans are eligible for healthcare savings under the American Rescue Plan
The bill opens up cheaper health insurance for low- and middle-income families as well as laid-off workers.
Everlywell COVID-19 test kit review
Get your results within two business days, and book a free telehealth consult if you test positive.
Ask an Expert