Homesite home insurance
Set your sights on extended home protection if you can overlook poor customer ratings.
- Get a quote if you’re looking for high dwelling limits.
- Pick something else if you want first-rate customer service.
- Many homeowners can apply, and Progressive customers might find extra benefits.
All 50 states
- Extended limits
- Free coverage included
- Partners with Progressive
- Detailed online quotes
- Low customer service ratings
- Few discounts
- Some items get covered for replacement cost after the fact
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||Yes|
|Home safety features discount||No|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
Sarah George is a staff writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
If you’re looking for an ample list of coverage options with steep maximum coverage limits, Homesite includes replacement costs for your home as basic coverage, and lets you choose higher limits up to 50% more than the standard.
This means if your home has $200,000 in coverage, you can add another $100,000. To top off your policy, you’ll also find mold coverage included and can opt for higher limits on that too.
But if you’re looking for an easy application process, Homesite’s process is tedious and long. And its high rate of customer complaints may also give you pause. Compare your options to other home insurance companies.
What home insurance coverage does Homesite offer?
Homesite lays a firm coverage foundation for your home, including a few unique options and extended limits. Coverage includes:
- Dwelling coverage at its replacement cost
- Other structures
- Extended dwelling coverage with your choice of 25% or 50% above the standard limit
- Replacement cost or actual value for personal possessions
- Loss of use
- Personal injury to protect against court cases involving libel, slander or invasion of privacy
- Mold liability for court cases related to illness from mold
- Medical payments to others
- Water backup
- Identity theft protection up to $15,000
- Mold protection for testing and removing wet or dry rot, fungi or bacteria
What home insurance discounts can I get?
You might snag a few simple discounts from Homesite:
- New homebuyer. Save money if you’re just now purchasing the home you’re insuring.
- Bundle with Progressive car insurance. If you obtain a quote through Progressive and bundle with car insurance, you could save up to 10%.
Pros and cons of Homesite home insurance
- Extended limits. Extend the limits or opt for open peril coverage for your home, computers, mold protection or medical payments to others.
- Some extended coverage included. Your policy may already include replacement cost dwelling coverage, limited mold protection and mold liability.
- Partners with Progressive. If you have other Progressive insurance policies, you could benefit from using Homesite through Progressive.
- Detailed online quotes. Although the online application asks many detailed questions, that process may help you receive the most accurate quote.
- Low customer service ratings. Homesite holds 2 out of 5 stars in the 2019 J.D. Power Home Insurance Study for overall customer satisfaction. That’s a humdrum rating compared to other companies.
- Recoverable depreciation may apply. In some situations, Homesite may only pay for the actual cash value of an item until you provide proof of the cost to repair or replace. Then, you can get reimbursed for the replacement cost value.
- Few discounts. The company doesn’t include many discounts off your premium.
How to apply for Homesite home insurance
Apply for your homeowners policy in several, detailed steps, but be sure you have plenty of time to complete the application:
- Go to the Homesite home insurance website.
- Enter your ZIP code in the quote box. Click Start a quote.
- Fill in basic personal information and read the disclosure. Click Start home quote.
- Enter details about your home, clicking the arrows to view more answer options. Click Continue after each set of questions.
- Review your quote and coverage. Customize your quote if needed and tap Recalculate.
- Once you’re satisfied, select the policy that best suits you and click Continue.
- Provide details about your mortgage company and payment. Click Complete purchase.
What info do I need to apply for homeowners insurance with Homesite?
You’ll need a myriad of information, on top of your contact info and the address of your home, including:
- Policy start date
- Type of construction, foundation, siding and garage
- Number of stories
- Year built
- Square footage
- Roof shape, material and last replacement
- Interior wall, flooring and kitchen countertop materials
- How much of each wall or floor material is used as a percentage
- Ceiling height and type within each room
- Heating source, including type of fireplace
- Number of bathrooms
- Year the wiring was last installed
- Number and breed of dogs
- Safety features
- Additional features like swimming pools or fencing
- Number of residents
- How you’ll use the home
- Previous insurance cancellations
- Information about additional insureds
- Coverage needed
- Mortgage company name, address and your loan number
- Bank account or credit card information