HomeBudget with Sync review
A manual budgeting app, but its interface is outdated.HomeBudget with Sync is a manual budgeting app that syncs across multiple devices. Other household members can also join up so everyone can view and contribute to the family budget. But its interface is a bit dated, and customers report that the developer isn’t very responsive to tech glitches.
From $4.99 per purchase
Minimum deposit to open
Kimberly Ellis is a writer at Finder. She hails from New York City with a BA from Queens College and a New York State teaching certificate. After teaching in both public and private schools, Kimberly decided to take the world by storm and dive into the media industry — where she covers everything from home loans and investing to K–12 education and shopping. She’s also an aspiring polyglot, always in a book and forever on the hunt for the perfect classic red lipstick.
Expert reviewHomeBudget with Sync is best for families who want a budgeting tool to track all of their finances. It has a one-time cost starting at $4.99, so you won’t get stuck with a recurring monthly subscription.
And if you want to bring in other family members, you’ll want to make sure everyone uses the same operating system or you’ll be paying for the app multiple times. For instance, unlike other operating systems which seamlessly transition from Apple phone to Apple computer, you’ll need to purchase HomeBudget for both iPhone and Mac, in order to use it on both operating systems.
Also, HomeBudget requires you to manually enter your transactions, similar to a budgeting spreadsheet. And its interface is pretty dated with some customers complaining of glitches and trouble getting in touch with the developer. HomeBudget with Sync may not be a long-term money management solution if you’re looking to fully automate your budgeting.
How to sign up
You’ll need to pay to download the HomeBudget with Sync app onto your smartphone or computer. Once installed, create your account to sign up.
How does HomeBudget with Sync work?HomeBudget is an integrated budgeting expense tracker. This money management tool allows you to view your income, expenses, account balances and upcoming bills. It also offers visual features, including charts and graphs, to help you analyze your spending habits.
The “sync” features keep your app updated on multiple devices and allows other family members to pool their financial data and work together to follow a single budget.
How does HomeBudget with Sync work?
Pricing for HomeBudget with Sync depends on your device’s operating system. Expect to pay a one-time cost of:
- $4.99 in the Apple App Store
- $5.99 in the Google Play App Store
- $19.99 in the Mac App Store
- $19.99 for Windows
How safe is it to use HomeBudget?HomeBudget doesn’t require or store your bank account login information. Your account, including all your manual budgeting entries, is protected by your account password. And within Family Sync, you can set additional restrictions for all secondary devices — keeping you in control.
2 HomeBudget with Sync prosHomeBudget with Sync comes with two distinct features:
- Instantly sync data across devices. Your information syncs across both Android and Apple mobile devices and Windows and Mac desktop devices. But you’ll need to purchase HomeBudget separately for each operating system.
- Family Sync. Bring in the whole family to compile their expenses and incomes to create a single budget. While Family Sync is free, you may need to purchase the app again if your individual family members’ devices use a different operating system than the primary account.
3 HomeBudget with Sync cons
Consider the following drawbacks of HomeBudget before signing up:
- Dated interface. HomeBudget with Sync is a no-frills manual budgeting account with a dated but straightforward interface. For example, its user manual contains screenshots from an iPhone 3G series device, which Apple discontinued in 2012, and references 3G data networks, which are gradually shutting down.
- Pricing varies. The HomeBudget with Sync will run you anywhere from $4.99 to $19.99, depending on your device. And you may need to purchase it multiple times if your devices use different operating systems, such as an Apple phone (iOS) and Apple computer (Mac OS).
- Tedious budgeting. Unlike modern budgeting apps that automatically pull data from your credit cards and bank accounts, you’ll need to manually enter all your income and expense data. And pay close attention to how you classify your expenses, such as credit card payments, to avoid double accounting.
If you’re in the market for a modern, streamlined budgeting platform, consider another money-saving app.
HomeBudget with Sync reviews and complaintsHomeBudget with Sync has earned a 3.5 out of 5-star rating based on 21 reviews from Apple users and a 4.1 out of 5-star rating from 2,079 Android users as of August 2021.
Customers applaud the platform’s simplicity and the ability to use other currencies. But several users report glitches, including app crashes, an inability to import data and difficulty getting in touch with tech support.
Compare HomeBudget with other budgeting apps
Take a look at several other similar money management apps. Use the table to compare fees and features to find a platform that works for your financial needs.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.